Spacing Issues With Tables

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
matrix23

Spacing Issues With Tables

Post by matrix23 »

Here's an example page on a site that I'm building: http://www.walfins.co.uk/acatalog/Fox_7_.html

It has various tables in it and I'm trying to get the spacing in the tables to display as they would in IE. Can anyone tell me why Firefox adds extra space when displaying tables and how can I correct this? I have tried various formatting and CSS options but none so far have worked.

Many Thanks
GN85

Post by GN85 »

matrix23 this is more of an HTML question, it's not a flaw in Firefox that's causing your problem.

I think it's the paragraphs in your table cells that are creating these spaces. This also happens with divs too, and I think that changing your paragraph margins and/or paddings to 0px may solve your problem.

PS: if you post on any forum seeking for help regarding your html code, at least clean it up a little and make it readable. I'm not too sure many people would be willing to help you when your whole web page is coded in 1 line.
matrix23

Post by matrix23 »

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding your comment about cleaning up the code: the code is generated by the Actinic e-commerce software that I use. I have no control over that. If you are using Firefox you can go to View | Wrap Long Lines to make it easier to read.

PS: If you're going to reply to any more of my posts at least try to be a bit less rude. I don't think anyone really wants help in that manner.
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

matrix23 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Regarding your comment about cleaning up the code: the code is generated by the Actinic e-commerce software that I use. I have no control over that. If you are using Firefox you can go to View | Wrap Long Lines to make it easier to read.

PS: If you're going to reply to any more of my posts at least try to be a bit less rude. I don't think anyone really wants help in that manner.

He is not being rude, and this thread is in the wrong section. HTML/Web Dev issues goes in the Web Development/Evangelism board: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=25
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Moving to Web Development.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

What GN85 is suggesting is that you create an explicit rule to suppress top margins where you want them suppressed, rather than relying on IE's doing that for you. Example that you could tailor to your needs (for <p> and <h3> elements inside a table cell):

Code: Select all

td p, td h3 {margin-top:0}
GN85

Post by GN85 »

matrix23 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Sorry man, just trying to be helpful, but yeah I can see why you got offended. Perhaps adding a smiley or two would have made my post seem more friendly :P