Saved Passwords

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BrmBrm

Post by BrmBrm »

Well I have the same problem and I've tryed solving it through signons2.txt but it doesn't work for me...

This is how my signons2.txt looks like:

http://www.hattrick.org
loginname
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*password
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www83.hattrick.org

After I change the second url to match the first one it works, but then after that the second url is changed again by FF.
Almost every time when I login, number behind www is diferent, it works only as long as I get the same www** and that's not very often :(
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

dickvl's solution worked for me.
The 'problem' pnly happened for websites where I had more than one username/password stored
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.

Quick Fix

Post by Guest »

Using the Password Exporter extension to export and then re-import my passwords fixed the problem for me. YMMV, presumably.

http://firefox.fligtar.com/passwordexporter/

Post by Guest »

I agree w/previous post. I first noticed the problem with Cox.net's WebMail. I have 3 accounts there. After the bump to 2.0.0.2 the passwords no longer filled in when I used the down-arrow key to choose from my available usernames and then pressed tab.

For the "fun" of it I deleted all three username/password combinations, expecting that Firefox would re-prompt me to save new username/password combinations. Alas, no, it's not asking me to save them at all! It's like it no longer knows that it's a password!
mdc1

signons.txt

Post by mdc1 »

the-edmeister wrote:As I stated above, I haven't had any luck with editing the signons2.txt file, but I have learned more about what is needed (at least for me) to get Passwords to auto-complete = re-entering everyone of my 75 Passwords!

Ed

Using Linux version Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070220 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ID:2007022001

I find that looking at the signons2.txt file initially the url is only at the start of each password block - but if you go to that site and logon and then logoff then ff puts the correct second url at the end of a password block in the signons.txt file.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Bug 371525 – password trouble with multiple accounts after update to firefox 2.0.0.2 or 1.5.0.10.

I've tested it with a new profile and an old signons.txt file and only had the problem with multiple accounts.
If there is only one account then the Password Manager fills the name and password as expected and fills the url in signons2.txt.
The fix is to enter the url in the signons2.txt file for accounts with multiple names and passwords.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Is there a plan to correct this "bug" any time soon?
I hope!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

How soon is soon? I can't see them patching this even if they can, without it being included in another minor release version. I will guess the soonest they can gear up for another minor version release is like 4 to 5 weeks from now.

By my estimates it took something like 3 to 4 weeks for the RC testing phase for 2.0.0.2 to be completed, where the developers should have seen this "domains with multiple UN/PW's" vs "single UN/PW domains" problem and corrected it before officially releasing this debacle called 2.0.0.2!

And not a word in the Release Notes about it being a relatively simple fix, that all a user has to do is to insert their Password (which they can view in the Password Manager) and then SignIn to that website and the problem won't exist upon a revisit to that particular domain for that UN/PW combination.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
BoyleMoz

Post by BoyleMoz »

I used the following Python script to convert my signons2.txt file.
The script expects the signons2.txt file in the same directory and will output a new version, so use like:

fix.py > signons2.fixed.txt

Then backup your original signons2.txt and rename signons2.fixed.txt to signons2.txt

Python script fix.py:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python

# Replace empty lines with urls, unless url already printed on the previous line
# After a line with a single dot we expect a url on the next line

# Flag is set after . is found
next_record=False
# Flag for: url is printed on previous line
urlf=False

f=open("signons2.txt","r")

for line in f:
   if next_record:
      url=line
      urlf=True
      next_record=False
      print url,
      continue
   if line == ".\n":
      next_record=True
   if line == "\n":
      if urlf:
         print
      else:
         print url,
      urlf=not urlf
   else:
      print line,
      urlf=False
f.close()
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Bug report? I don't see one. Look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 76#2771476 .
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

VanillaMozilla: "Bug report? I don't see one. Look here:..."

Did you miss my post further up on this page?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 21#2769421
UNHAPPY

passwords

Post by UNHAPPY »

Ohhh, THATS why I shouldn't allow automatic installation of updates. Thanks for totally screwing up a good thing. Some people just want it to work and not have to hack the crap out of stuff, like my 70 year old MOM. Can't something just work or are we to perfect to check our work before we release junk. Couldn't test it first????

Post by Guest »

the-edmeister wrote:How soon is soon? I can't see them patching this even if they can, without it being included in another minor release version. I will guess the soonest they can gear up for another minor version release is like 4 to 5 weeks from now.

By my estimates it took something like 3 to 4 weeks for the RC testing phase for 2.0.0.2 to be completed, where the developers should have seen this "domains with multiple UN/PW's" vs "single UN/PW domains" problem and corrected it before officially releasing this debacle called 2.0.0.2!

And not a word in the Release Notes about it being a relatively simple fix, that all a user has to do is to insert their Password (which they can view in the Password Manager) and then SignIn to that website and the problem won't exist upon a revisit to that particular domain for that UN/PW combination.

Ed

Well, when I add my numerous pass words AGAIN it adds a duplicate to the pass word manager creating more pass words. Just patch the damn thing. You already have a bunch of posts in just a vew days! Looks like this topic might be important.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

If you read the bug report, you will see that it's only three days old and there's lots of activity on it. By the way, please don't anyone comment in the bug report. It's well known and people are working on it.
Alice

Post by Alice »

dickvl wrote:Bug 371525 – password trouble with multiple accounts after update to firefox 2.0.0.2 or 1.5.0.10.

Here's another possible workaround for when Firefox doesn't insert a saved password that was just added to the bug report, in case it helps:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=371525
Comment #22 Peter 2007-02-28 00:04:35 PST

An additional observation: let Firefox insert the UserID from the selection
list, then press the "refresh" button (or F5), and the password will be
inserted.

Note that downleveling to Firefox 1.5.0.9 or Firefox 2.0.0.1 or earlier is not a solution, as the passwords that now exist in the signons2.txt will be unavailable. See:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=369969
All passwords are not available to downlevel versions of 2.0/1.5 after upgrade