How to scroll up & down page with keys?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you using the default theme or a custom theme?
SAK

Re: Firefox 2 to scroll using arrowkey; not carret br. issue

Post by SAK »

Re:"bl2ckorchid" & "Musiman" issues: Since Firefox 2, I have the weird symptom that I sometimes cannot scroll the page when I use my arrow keys or PgUp/PgDn keys.

I too have identical symptoms to bl2ckorchid & Musiman - occasionally the only way to scroll the page in each tab in Firefox v2 is to click & hold the scroll bar. In addition I notice that when this does start happening the CPU temp of my PC increases from around 45°c to 60-65°c. Closing Firefox immediately brings the temp back to normal. Using XP Home v5.1.2600 SP2 on Intel P4

Hoping someone can explain
rgds
SAK

ps I'm a newbie at posting on forums
gadaoman

Cannot scroll

Post by gadaoman »

I am having exactly the same problem with scrolling. It started when I upgraded to FF2. Also, noticed that my memory usage often goes to 100% and stays there until I exit FF. Help, someone, please!
Richard
NoMousePlease

Why should caret browsing break pageup/pagedown?

Post by NoMousePlease »

Um... why has no one asked the obvious question: Why should enabling caret browsing make PageUp and PageDown stop working?! I mean, if they did something useful when caret browsing was enabled, I would understand... but scrolling down to the bottom when you press PageUP is NOT useful. I can press ctrl-end if I want to do that.

This is obviously a bug. Am I the only one who sees that?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

PageUp and PageDown should still work as expected if you have switched on caret browsing and you have the cursor on the screen.
SAK

Post by SAK »

I reinstalled FF2 and Noia 2.0 Extreme v3.37 theme (which had updated twice over the last 2 days). I confirmed that I have not enabled caret browsing. The scrolling problem happens less now but still occurs. Anything else I should check?

yes

Post by Guest »

having the same problem as the other people, the up/down arrow keys and pgup/pgdown keys randomly stop working sometimes. In fact, sometimes the arrow keys are working for one mozilla window and not for another!
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Hitting F7 allows me to scroll up/down with the arrow keys or use pageup/down in v2.0.0.1. But as an alternative workaround, hit CTRL+F and then use the arrow keys. It sounds like a bug that using the search option (CTRL+F) will allow you to scroll with the arrow keys, but I discovered that works for me too at least.

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to add my experience that I do not remember getting any message about caret browsing (I don't even know what it is), but suddenly my arrows and page down stopped working until I found this thread and hit F7.

It was driving me nuts, and I'm glad to have it back.
SAK

Post by SAK »

[quote="SAK"]I reinstalled FF2 and Noia 2.0 Extreme v3.37 theme (which had updated twice over the last 2 days). I confirmed that I have not enabled caret browsing. The scrolling problem happens less now but still occurs. Anything else I should check?[/quote]

Its only been 2 days but after installing FF 2.0.0.2 the scrolling issue seems to have gone now, however CPU temp still goes up nearly 10 degrees celcius so processor is still being hammered when many tabs are opened at once.
pdrummond

Post by pdrummond »

I have accidentally hit F7, answered yes (no idea what caret browsing was), followed by agony trying to figure out what was wrong. I would prefer to use F7 for something more useful but can't even find it in options/advanced/accessibility, and it is not in the menus.

Extention "Smoothwheel" is terrific for those who want to try mouse wheel scrolling that really works. You'll wonder how you lived without it. Works in Firefox & Thunderbird. Customize endlessly (backup or make notes!).

-------
If you just want to scroll once in a while, here are some bookmarklets. e.g. Create a bookmark "Scroll Slow" and copy the first javascript code into the location box. Speed is set from 0 to 8. One allows you to select the speed number.

Scroll 0 (slowest)
javascript:var wN2sc8Rl;Sa5gNA9k=new Function('clearTimeout(wN2sc8Rl)');document.onkeydown=Sa5gNA9k;Sa5gNA9k();void(wN2sc8Rl=setInterval('if(pageYOffset<document.height-innerHeight){window.scrollBy(0,1)}else{Sa5gNA9k()}',150))

Scroll 8 (fastest)
javascript:var wN2scRl;Sa5gNA9k=new Function('clearTimeout(wN2scRl)');document.onkeydown=Sa5gNA9k;Sa5gNA9k();void(wN2scRl=setInterval('if(pageYOffset<document.height-innerHeight){window.scrollBy(0,10)}else{Sa5gNA9k()}',50))

Scroll ?1-8
javascript:var wN2scRl;S3g=new Function('clearTimeout(wN2scRl)');document.onkeydown=S3g;a7T=prompt('Rate...','');if(a7T!=null){S3g();void(wN2scRl=setInterval('if(pageYOffset<document.height-innerHeight){scrollBy(0,a7T)}else{S3g()}',50))}else{void(null)}
xtravoice

arrow scrolling still works poorly

Post by xtravoice »

I keep returning to this page. Hitting F7 aids the problem, but doesn't cure it. Firefox still doesn't scroll with the arrow keys smoothly as Safari does. This one issue keeps me from relying on this browser, which otherwise I would love.

Also, in order to get it to work on each new web page, I must click inside the page. This is just too annoying. Mozilla, please address this issue.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you want smooth scrolling:
Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > General: Browsing: "Use smooth scrolling"
xtravoice

still not working...

Post by xtravoice »

I swear I've tried everything, have followed every suggestion here. This jumping to the bottom of the page only happens on my iBook G4. My iMac G5 performs just fine with the arrow keys, but on that computer I have Firefox 1.5. On the iBook, I'm on 2.0.0.2.

Any further advice?
zylic

Re: still not working...

Post by zylic »

xtravoice wrote:I swear I've tried everything, have followed every suggestion here. This jumping to the bottom of the page only happens on my iBook G4. My iMac G5 performs just fine with the arrow keys, but on that computer I have Firefox 1.5. On the iBook, I'm on 2.0.0.2.

Any further advice?

Of course this is a bug. While reading this page using arrow keys worked fine but a switch using Alt left arrow to scan the previous page, the Alt right arrow neither arrow keys worked, up, down, left, right nor page up/down worked for page navigating. Writing this post - keys work, as an earlier poster said.

In general moving between pages resolves keys or maybe, waiting for some time does it too.

Annoying it is.