Attn: For all your tab-related needs, get Tab Extensions

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
d_g

TBE should be integral to Firebird

Post by d_g »

I also think TBE should be made part of Firebird. I think there's a difference between 'bloat' and 'enhanced functionality' that it seems everyone installs anyway...
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

Nah, it's being stated they will add some of the functionality of TBE into FB. Something about doing it this way would lead to faster browsing..

Let's face it, some of the stuff in TBE is pretty exotic.
jrduncans

Post by jrduncans »

Not everything in TBE belongs in the core. But the more that is added, the better, as that will make those parts of what's currently TBE be faster and less buggy. That should give both minimal users of TBE better performance, as well as allowing the rest of the features of TBE to be more focused on, and probably less buggy as TBE will decrease in complexity. Everybody will win.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

De-Stickifying.

Ben Goodger has been campaigning against TBE of late, so it doesnt make sense to recommend it.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Because of one person, all of a sudden TBE is bad?
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

hao2lian wrote:Because of one person, all of a sudden TBE is bad?

No, because of several people. The Firebird developers. TBE overwrites system files with its own. That's bad by any standard. But don't let us stop you from using whatever extensions you like. We're just not all that sympathetic when people's browsers break after installing things that do this. It's basically like installing a program that overwrites various DLLs in Windows\System with its own and promptly breaks other apps. If you use TBE you do so at your own risk - only use it with builds that TBE claims to support. Otherwise, you're asking for pain. Future milestones of Firebird will make it such that "simple" extensions are not permitted to make any changes to the install directory of Firebird and will make extensions like TBE stand out as being more "dangerous". The installer already blows away the entire bin directory when it "upgrades" an existing installation so TBE incompatibilities should be limited when using installer builds.

However - we will likely be looking at TBE's features and assessing what pieces should be built into the default configuration. If people have pet favorite features in TBE, perhaps a new thread should be started here to list them all so we can get an idea of what the key reasons are people use the extension.
dolemn

Post by dolemn »

Nice to see a developers response in the forum! :)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

I'm making this sticky again because people are still asking about these things.

TBE is very useful, but use at your own risk. However, I think there is no more need for discussion on this thread, so I'm locking it.