Firefox Update 2.0.0.2

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Banshee27

Firefox Update 2.0.0.2

Post by Banshee27 »

Every time I start FF I get a message saying that an important FF Update is available... So, I download and install the update... FF then issues a warning that the partial download did not work and try again.... Under FF "Help" on the toolbar it shows that I am running 2.0.0.2 and everything appears normal besides this frequent Update message... I have thought that perhaps it was my anti-virus or firewall software that was causing some conflict, so I turned them off and the problem persists... I have used FF for many years and this is the first real problem that I have encountered... Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Banshee27

Post by Banshee27 »

Thanks for the reply, but I deleted those files but when I restarted FF I still received the "important update" message... I then re-downloaded (for the upteenth time) and got the second message that the partial download wasn't successful and to redownload the complete file... I went into the FF directory and the files and folder I deleted per the instructions are still missing... I am reluctant to uninstall FF and then reinstall a new copy to see if that fixes the problem since I will lose themes, add-0ns, bookmarks, etc... Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Banshee,

Read this thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=526257
It appears that Firefox 2.0.0.2 may be placing some update files in a new location, different from all earlier versions. satyr has relocated some of his files so don't go exactly by what he posted there. This is the path that I found the \updates\ folder and the two *.xml files, but I also use a non-standard installation, so don't use my path as a definite but rather as a general location:
E:\Documents and Settings\abc\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Internet Browsers\2.0b2-installer-20060831\updates

I imagine the standard Default installation path would be something like this:
C:\Documents & Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\updates and then the 2 *.xml, along with the Local Settings ~ \Proifles\ folder (for the browser cache and the 2 *.mfl files) would be there too.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Banshee27

Post by Banshee27 »

Thanks, you are correct that the files are also in the Doc & Settings directory... I ran a search throughout my computer and deleted the update folder and the 2 xml files where ever I found them (except for the now numerous ones in the recycle bin)... Anyway, it did not fix the problem.. I have turned off the automatic updates but when I click on the Help dropdown box that includes check for updates, it grinds on relentlessly until 2.0.0.2 is again downloaded... It then tells me to install and restart Firefox..When I do, I get a separate small window that says that FF was only partially installed and to try again...

Anyway, thanks again... I am starting to believe my only recourse is to uninstall Firefox and load a new copy...
Banshee27

Post by Banshee27 »

Well, I fixed my own problem... I was loath to uninstall Firefox 2.0.0.2 in an attempt to fix this "update" problem... So, prior to doing the uninstall I went to the Mozilla website and downloaded a new copy of FF 2.0.0.2 .. I installed this new copy right over the 2.0.0.2 that was already on my computer... Voila! No false notices of updating... No popup windows telling me that the install was unsuccessful... No small window telling me that only a partial install took place and to try to reinstall... Everything appears to be fixed and I lost none of my setting, extensions, add-ons, or themes in the process....
Alice

Post by Alice »

Banshee27 wrote:I am reluctant to uninstall FF and then reinstall a new copy to see if that fixes the problem since I will lose themes, add-0ns, bookmarks, etc... Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance...

For the record, uninstalling Firefox doesn't touch your bookmarks, themes or other add-ons since all of that is stored in a separate location from the program files. See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Re: Firefox Update 2.0.0.2

Post by Guest »

What is the exact site to be able to get the firefox cd? I'm lost! I am a online student,and I need to hand in assignments. I had to have an assignment that was do today. I need it as fast as possible.
LIMPET235

Re: Firefox Update 2.0.0.2

Post by LIMPET235 »

Guest...
Please check the date before posting in these old threads. Thanks.
Try here > http://intlstore.mozilla.org/index.php? ... SD&cPath=1
Locking this.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)