Java- Firefox/2.0.0.2 Problems

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
One2Know

Post by One2Know »

This just started today. I have been running 2.0.0.2 no problem in Vista since it was available. Today however, I can no longer get java apps like web-cams to display. I am running the latest build of JRE 6.0. When I reinstall/overwrite Firefox and open it, it displays a java site fine. When I close the browser and try again it won't display.
I'm hoping one of you geniuses out there has a clue 'cause I sure don't.
Please advise- I will be forever indebted!!!
Thanks
One2Know

Post by One2Know »

BTW, Java is working fine in IE 7.
Also, it no longer works after a fresh install (uninstall/install) of Firefox. I tried to follow the suggestions in the KB eith no success.
I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A VISTA issue as it was working perfectly before, so please offer comments/suggestions even if you aren't running Vista.
lexbaby

Post by lexbaby »

Exact same problem here. Does anyone have a solution or ideas to try?
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

lexbaby

Post by lexbaby »

VinDSL wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2766666

Thanks for the quick response. That's all fine and good, but it doesn't solve the problem at hand. Java applets flat out don't work in my case after the initial install of FF. I'm not talking an error message after you install FF (although I get that with 2.0.0.1 but not 2.0.0.2, odd).

To clarify the problem is this:
-- Latest version of Java installed on Vista. No problems, Java applets work in IE7.
-- Install Firefox 2.0.0.*
-- First use of FF, Java applets work fine (and faster than IE by my observations).
-- Close FF and open again, applets fail to work again.

What happens to FF when you close it the first time that would disable Java applets from running? BTW, about:plugins says Java is enabled.

Thanks again for the help and the ideas to try.

Post by Guest »

Just a fact with Sun Java any version. After fresh install, go to a site and use Java with the ADMINISTRATOR account, then other less priviliged accounts should work as well. This is the only problem I have come across with Sun Java and Firefox.
lexbaby

Post by lexbaby »

Yep, that's it. Run Firefox as Administrator and Java works fine.

Thanks!
VinDSL
Location: Location: Arizona (USA) Site Admin: Disipal Site Site Admin: Nuke Cops Site Admin: Lenon.com

Post by VinDSL »

Good to know!

Just to confirm, log into Windows as "Administrator", run a Java app, then all will be good, yes?

Will this NOT also work for other Windows users, if they have Admin priveleges?

Post by Guest »

VinDSL wrote:Good to know!

Just to confirm, log into Windows as "Administrator", run a Java app, then all will be good, yes?

Will this NOT also work for other Windows users, if they have Admin priveleges?

Once you go to site and run Java with an "Administrator" account, then ALL less priviliged accounts will work as well, but not before. All "Administrator" accounts work ALL the time.
JJ02

Post by JJ02 »

Anonymous wrote:Once you go to site and run Java with an "Administrator" account, then ALL less priviliged accounts will work as well, but not before. All "Administrator" accounts work ALL the time.

I tried this.

The administrator account runs Java just fine. Once I switch over to a standard account, it doesn't work!
WaarrEagle

Post by WaarrEagle »

I am also having problems running Java on an administrator account. I tried following the link to mozillazine but I was unable to find the Java file in the plugin folder. Now what??

Post by Guest »

JJ02 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Once you go to site and run Java with an "Administrator" account, then ALL less priviliged accounts will work as well, but not before. All "Administrator" accounts work ALL the time.

I tried this.

The administrator account runs Java just fine. Once I switch over to a standard account, it doesn't work!

In this case I would suggest to Uninstall Java. Goto Sun site and download the latest version. Don't let it install for you, just download, save it. Install it manually. Then go to a site that has a Java application with an Administrator account. ALL less priviliged accounts should also work now.
JJ02

Post by JJ02 »

This situation of mine spanned more than just Java in FF, it was Flash in IE as well. So I went onto the Administrator account and removed Shockwave, Flash, and Java.

Downloaded Shockwave and Flash and with some tinkering got it to work in both IE and FF (for some reason IE was rejecting Flash).

Downloaded Java 6 for Vista and got it to work on the Administrator account just fine.

Tested that all three had been removed and manually installed on the Administrator account first, then switched back over to a normal user account.

Everything works except Java on FF (still, ugh).

This is getting annoying. I've never had a problem with Java on FF before. In fact it was fine until I switched to Vista. All the Java plugins seem apparent in about:plugins. Am I missing something?
VinDSL

Post by VinDSL »

JJ02 wrote:This is getting annoying. I've never had a problem with Java on FF before. In fact it was fine until I switched to Vista. All the Java plugins seem apparent in about:plugins. Am I missing something?

That's life in the 'fast lane', yes?

'They' will get around to fixing 'it' sooner or later, sooooo...

In the meantime, I guess the trick would be to revert to an older version of Fx, or XP (or W2K), if Java is that important to you. ;)