Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

bengoodger wrote:Don't be so quick to edit your prefs file. You should (unless there's a bug) be able to pick any dir you like from the UI, using the dropdown list (choose "Other..." to select). This is not new though, it's been in FB since before 0.7.

Actually, I edited my user.js. I have all my personal preferences in user.js so when I install a new nightly, copying user.js to the fresh profile will always bring back all my preferences. No need to touch the GUI. ;)

My point, though, is that by default, prefs.js should have the entry to point the default download directory to "Desktop" because that's what the Tools/Options dialog box shows. If no default download directory should be specified, the "ask me where to save every file" option should be checked by default instead. What do you think?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
nexx

Post by nexx »

as long as the download statusbar extension still works!
<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/nexx1/oxpmenu/" title="Office XP Menus">Office XP Menus</a> || <a href="http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/firefox-unofficial-branding.php"> Unofficial Firefox Branding</a>
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

bengoodger wrote:
spark wrote:The biggest boost to downloading would be if Mozilla could do cross-session resuming (Pause a file, close Mozilla, reopen and continue downloading). Doubt it'll ever happen though :cry:

Don't doubt too hard, it may yet happen ;-) Darin and I are talking about it.

OH PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN BY 0.8 FINAL. The new download manager sounds nice, but its gotta have cross-session resuming for people to love Firebird even more. Many would be able to finally have a manager seeing as many third party download managers don't support Firebird just yet with the exception of one good manager out there. This feature is a must.

Also, maybe I'm asking too much, but will there be any kind of "accelerator" feature which would emulate the kind of multiple connection downloading that Getright, Download Accelerator, Gozilla, Netleech, and pretty much every download manager supports? I know it seems kinda much to do by 0.8, but if team Firebird can accomplish this by version 1.0, it would be absolutely incredible for people with a broadband connection.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Acceleration is a niche feature which belongs in dedicated download managers (few people download linux iso images with their web browsers). Resume across sessions is a killer feature on dialup though, especially considering that currently there really aren't any high-quality, cross-platform and open source implementations of this kind of thing with good Mozilla integration. (not that that's asking a lot, obviously.)

- Chris
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I agree, cross session resuming and crash/connection loss recovery is a must. I will check out this latest update with great intrest though :) EDIT: When i can get a 27th build that is...

While i'm waiting, could somebody land me a screenshot of this new change in action? I don't fully understand how it is supposed to look/work.
scratch

Post by scratch »

thumperward wrote:Acceleration is a niche feature which belongs in dedicated download managers

...or extensions.
scratch

Post by scratch »

i agree that you should get a dialog asking if you really want to exit if you hit file -> exit, but if you "exit the app" by closing all windows, I think that FB should stay loaded in memory and finish the downloads, then exit when they complete. or, alternately, maybe the download manager should pop up?
Vectorferret

Post by Vectorferret »

I'd prefer a download manager pop up rather than exit.

Without pop up
Users exiting browser and want to keep downloads: three steps (cancelling the exit, opening the manager, re-exiting)
Users who want to cancel downloads: One step (clicking to exit)

With Pop up
Users exiting browser and want to keep downloads: 0 steps, its automatic
Users who want to cancel downloads: One step (closing the download manager)

So, as one can see, popping up the download manager rather than asking has no drawbacks for those who want to cancel their downloads as well as exit (such as those who need to leave a public computer), and is much faster for those who want to keep their downloads going after closing.
old dn15

Screenshot

Post by old dn15 »

One problem I've noticed is that, at least on Mac OS X, the download manager works but progress bar does not move. When it finishes, the status simply changes to "Done."

[Removed Mac picture in favor of Linux, so the progress bars are visible in the screenshot. See below.]
Last edited by old dn15 on November 28th, 2003, 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Screenshot

Post by daihard »

dn15 wrote:One problem I've noticed is that, at least on Mac OS X, the download manager works but progress bar does not move. When it finishes, the status simply changes to "Done."

That's probably a MacOS-specific issue. The progress bar works fine on Linux (at least for me).
old dn15

Post by old dn15 »

Here's a Linux screenshot instead since the progress bars display correctly. It makes a better "action" shot. :)

The blue item is the one that is currently selected. Completed or cancelled downloads are a darker gray, as seen at the bottom.

Last edited by old dn15 on November 28th, 2003, 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

dn15 wrote:Here's a Linux screenshot instead since the progress bars display correctly. It makes a better "action" shot. :)

The blue item is the one that is currently selected. Completed or cancelled downloads are a darker gray, as seen at the bottom.

OT, but why does everyone use Keramik lately?
old dn15

Post by old dn15 »

daihard wrote:OT, but why does everyone use Keramik lately?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like it best out of the themes that came with my distribution. I've looked for others in the past because I'm not a huge fan of Keramik anyway, but good themes seem few and far between. And I had enough of them fail to work that I just decided to give up and stick with the default. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them. :)
hariskar

Post by hariskar »

Which is the exact download link? I can't find it on http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebir ... loads.html
Thanks!
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »