arabic font in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
iamcanadian

arabic font in Firefox

Post by iamcanadian »

Hello,

Some Arabic pages when I open in Firefox, the font is missed up. However, when I open it in ie, the font is fine. Below is a screen shot. the words are not aligned

below is a screen shot taken in firefox:

and below is taken from ie

any help is appreciated

Thank you
iamcanadain

followup

Post by iamcanadain »

I forgot to mention that I've tried all the different middle eastern encodings that firefox has. none seem to work

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

maybe related to your cleartype settings ...
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What is your operating system?
iamcanadian

followup II

Post by iamcanadian »

Thank you for the reply,

I'm running Windows XP pro SP2. and I have the latest firefox installed.

I've also tried the cleartype settings and that didn't seem to help.

Thank you for your continuing support...

Post by Guest »

There were some posts in bugzilla about arabic fonts looking bad. The glyphs look misaligned in your firefox screenshot.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199853

Could you provide a url for an arabic web page that looks bad?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:There were some posts in bugzilla about arabic fonts looking bad. The glyphs look misaligned in your firefox screenshot.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199853

Could you provide a url for an arabic web page that looks bad?

sure, I googled and I came up with the following website that has this issue.

http://www.asharqalarabi.org.uk/mu-sa/b ... at-140.htm

the website you provided above, does that mean the firefox has that bug. if so, how can I fix it?
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

as far as i can see it's related to the "cleartype" settings (=font smoothing) - ie7 uses cleartype per default, all other applications depend on the system's settings...

enable cleartype in windows xp:
- Right click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose [Properties]
- Click on the Appearance Tab; Click Effects
- Check the box: Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts / In the drop down box select: Clear Type

Post by Guest »

madperson wrote:as far as i can see it's related to the "cleartype" settings (=font smoothing) - ie7 uses cleartype per default, all other applications depend on the system's settings...

enable cleartype in windows xp:
- Right click on a blank area of the Desktop and choose [Properties]
- Click on the Appearance Tab; Click Effects
- Check the box: Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts / In the drop down box select: Clear Type

That did not work! Any other suggestions?

Thank you
fahlmanc

Post by fahlmanc »

I don't think it has to do with cleartype. Cleartype might affect the anti-aliasing afaik, but that is not the issue here, which is the misplacing of the glyphs on the page.

If you read in that bug report, it seems like on some people's computers it looks fine, and others the arabic text is messed up. So I don't know ... It could be something to do with firefox, or the OS settings, maybe an interplay between the two. [see this comment] BTW -- it looks fine for me. But I am not using windowsXP.

You could try playing with firefox's fonts.

The page is encoded in arabic windows-1256.
If you go to tools-->options-->content-->fonts and colours: advanced: fonts for arabic, try picking a particular font.

Post by Guest »

fahlmanc wrote:I don't think it has to do with cleartype. Cleartype might affect the anti-aliasing afaik, but that is not the issue here, which is the misplacing of the glyphs on the page.

If you read in that bug report, it seems like on some people's computers it looks fine, and others the arabic text is messed up. So I don't know ... It could be something to do with firefox, or the OS settings, maybe an interplay between the two. [see this comment] BTW -- it looks fine for me. But I am not using windowsXP.

You could try playing with firefox's fonts.

The page is encoded in arabic windows-1256.
If you go to tools-->options-->content-->fonts and colours: advanced: fonts for arabic, try picking a particular font.

I've tried the above suggestion, and it didn't seem to effect it. Is there a way to import ie encoding into firefox? Do bug reports usually get fixed?
Anyways, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you all for your help
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

From the bug report it seems that two fonts are mixed because each doesn't have all the glyphs.
The solution should be to install a font that has all the glyphs and force Fx to use that font.
Windows has a font substitute registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Post by Guest »

dickvl wrote:From the bug report it seems that two fonts are mixed because each doesn't have all the glyphs.
The solution should be to install a font that has all the glyphs and force Fx to use that font.
Windows has a font substitute registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

Thank you for your reply, the problem is, how do I know what font so substitute there are many fonts I don't know what to choose. Can you maybe guide me though the process, that would be great!

Once again, thank you all for your help. Much appreciated
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Post by Guest »

I'm sorry, however how does this help my issue?

Thank you