Is there a way to keep Firefox History from being deleted?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Psychodiver

Is there a way to keep Firefox History from being deleted?

Post by Psychodiver »

I would like to know if there is a way to keep the History in Firefox from being deleted? My kids get online and then delete, or clear their tracks. I would like to know where they are going. Is there some hack to stop this?
Thanks.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Yes, a 'hack' to their back-side and loss of use of the Internet.
psychodiver

Post by psychodiver »

I don't want to take away their internet. I just want to see where they are going. You mentioned a hack, what it is?
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

I just got that "hack to their backside" : ) No, I just need a way to see where they are going.
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

Psychodiver wrote:I just got that "hack to their backside" : ) No, I just need a way to see where they are going.

Im trying to catch them up in something and this would give me proof. I dont want to install a program like Spector to record what they are doing because then they would have to see that it was installed. I just want them to not be able to clear or delete their history so it will show on their computer where they have been without having to open a third party software.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If they are not too clever then try: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 63#2594963
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

Ok, the privacy.item.history worked (thank you VanillaMozilla) by changing it in about:config to false. Now, I dont exactly want to hide all the History options like dickvl posted in the link (very handy though, thank you!). They know about the History in sidebar and all that, is there anyway to keep them from right clicking and saying delete to the content they dont want me to see? Because I will need to be able to "see" this history without really doing anything out of the way. I dont want it to look like I've been screwing with their computer. You know, "I was just looking at your history and found this!" and be able to just show them.
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

dickvl,

The codes that were in the link you posted, how do I add them if I wanted to go that route?
Thanks
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

I would like to thank everyone for their help with this! But I am a newbie to editing Firefox and don't understand the way this stuff works with the codes and profiles and such. So if there is anyway this stuff could be explained when it is posted, that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! : ) Thanks.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

See this post: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 92#2790492

You can rename userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css.
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

I was looking through all the different links and ran across a page that descriptors and labels for codes. What I was wondering, by looking at this page, if you could write something like this:

#context-delete[label="Delete"] {display: none !important;}

to block the use of the delete function in a context menu (right clicking)? I know that line is not right because I tried it, but it looks like something that could be done. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Psychodiver

Post by Psychodiver »

Ok, so I was playing around with the Chrome editor and I got all the sidebar history options removed, and the clear all private data removed. ( I did a regedit in internet explorer to stop history from being erased in there too).
Now, is there a way to make the actual History menu button show more than 10 pages? If only the last 10 pages are shown, this could be easily covered by viewing additional sites. I know i can still do Ctrl+H to view the history, but then they could too and just do the delete thing again. Unless someone has figured a way to disable delete in the context menu yet. (wishful thinking)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's not just the context menu. You also have to disable the <delete> key, etc.