I can't watch a streaming video with mozilla-MISSING PLUGIN?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
norak11

I can't watch a streaming video with mozilla-MISSING PLUGIN?

Post by norak11 »

I can't watch a video on mozilla but i can i can with ie. It says 'click to dl missing plug in' Then it says 'No suitable plugins found, unknown plugin (video/x-msvideo). There's a Manual Install button and it brings me to firefox add-ons page. I already have media player installed. The video is a .avi file--Why can't I view it with my mozilla browser?????

I have no idea what is missing so i don't know what plugin to down load!!!!
Does anyone know what to do?????

THANKS!!!
thinkitsnew

similar problem

Post by thinkitsnew »

I don' t have an answer - I have the same problem. I'm trying to play a video in RealPlayer, and I get an "applet appObs notloaded" message. After that, it's exactly as you describe - I end up at the Extensions page. I've reinstalled RealPlayer, and tried several other options, rebooted, searched on google for a possible fix, etc. ARRGH!
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

That page uses a "MIME type" that Firefox cannot handle. If you load the video directly by pasting the path into the address bar, only the audio plays unless you also install the DivX codec. So the people who posted this definitely didn't make it easy.

To view the clip you can swap the existing EMBED tag for a "generic" Windows Media Player tag, using a bookmarklet:

Code: Select all

javascript:var e=document.getElementsByTagName(%22EMBED%22); if(e.length<1) alert(%22No EMBEDs found%22); for(var i=0;i<e.length;i++){if(e[i].getAttribute(%22type%22)==%22video/x-msvideo%22){var o=document.createElement(%22OBJECT%22); o.setAttribute(%22data%22,e[i].getAttribute(%22src%22)); o.setAttribute(%22type%22,%22application/x-mplayer2%22); o.setAttribute(%22width%22,e[i].getAttribute(%22width%22)); o.setAttribute(%22height%22,parseInt(e[i].getAttribute(%22height%22))+45); e[i].style.display=%22none%22; e[i].parentNode.insertBefore(o,e[i]); break;}} void 0;

It seems to blank out if I put others windows in front of the page, but comes back if I scroll up/down. Rather quirky. Probably best if the owners of the site convert it to Flash or another more widely supported format.

If you're not familiar with bookmarklets, here is how you install one:
  1. Select and copy the above bookmarklet code to the clipboard (if you received it by email, make sure it is all one long line)
  2. Right-click the bookmarks toolbar and choose New Bookmark
    If the Bookmarks toolbar is not already displayed, you can display it by right-clicking in the blank area next to Help on the menu bar and choosing it from the little pop-up
  3. On the Name line, enter something like FixVid
  4. On the Location line, paste the above script
  5. Click OK to add the bookmark
It's probably an infrequent problem, but... there you go. When you visit pages with this kind of video, click the FixVid bookmarklet and see whether it does the job.

Edit: You can download the DivX codec here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/
norak11

Post by norak11 »

jscher2000 wrote:That page uses a "MIME type" that Firefox cannot handle. If you load the video directly by pasting the path into the address bar, only the audio plays unless you also install the DivX codec. So the people who posted this definitely didn't make it easy.

To view the clip you can swap the existing EMBED tag for a "generic" Windows Media Player tag, using a bookmarklet:

Code: Select all

javascript:var e=document.getElementsByTagName(%22EMBED%22); if(e.length<1) alert(%22No EMBEDs found%22); for(var i=0;i<e.length;i++){if(e[i].getAttribute(%22type%22)==%22video/x-msvideo%22){var o=document.createElement(%22OBJECT%22); o.setAttribute(%22data%22,e[i].getAttribute(%22src%22)); o.setAttribute(%22type%22,%22application/x-mplayer2%22); o.setAttribute(%22width%22,e[i].getAttribute(%22width%22)); o.setAttribute(%22height%22,parseInt(e[i].getAttribute(%22height%22))+45); e[i].style.display=%22none%22; e[i].parentNode.insertBefore(o,e[i]); break;}} void 0;

It seems to blank out if I put others windows in front of the page, but comes back if I scroll up/down. Rather quirky. Probably best if the owners of the site convert it to Flash or another more widely supported format.

If you're not familiar with bookmarklets, here is how you install one:
  1. Select and copy the above bookmarklet code to the clipboard (if you received it by email, make sure it is all one long line)
  2. Right-click the bookmarks toolbar and choose New Bookmark
    If the Bookmarks toolbar is not already displayed, you can display it by right-clicking in the blank area next to Help on the menu bar and choosing it from the little pop-up
  3. On the Name line, enter something like FixVid
  4. On the Location line, paste the above script
  5. Click OK to add the bookmark
It's probably an infrequent problem, but... there you go. When you visit pages with this kind of video, click the FixVid bookmarklet and see whether it does the job.

Edit: You can download the DivX codec here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/

THANKS!!!!