[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Test12345678

Post by Test12345678 »

Is there anyway at all that you could add a showcase all windows or just showcase all tabs to the left of the tabs menu? Just like in IE7...

so its not there at first, but once you open up a tab, it appears. i would use the extension so much more this way.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Test12345678 wrote:Is there anyway at all that you could add a showcase all windows or just showcase all tabs to the left of the tabs menu? Just like in IE7...

so its not there at first, but once you open up a tab, it appears. i would use the extension so much more this way.

The "myFirefox" theme places a button like that which links to Showcase functionality ;)

Another alternative is to use the AiOS extension which allows the placement of toolbar buttons on the tab bar (although I think you've to enable the advanced options in the settings panel).

I'm considering to implement a separate extension that will show a button in the tab bar.
Test12345678

Post by Test12345678 »

sweet, thanks.

i tried the AiOS extension, but i do not exactly understand how to enable it. any help please?

thanks a lot, for the help and the good extension!

P.S. is there a way to just add some sort of script in greasemonkey for the browser to add the button? sorry, i dont understand these things very well.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

I'm not really sure how to add a button using javascript, but I'll detail the steps:
  • Install AiOS
  • Restart Firefox
  • Open AiOS settings panel
  • Click the button with the "Settings" label in the lowest left part of that panel
  • On the popup, click on "Advanced Mode"
  • New options will appear. In the "General" options panel, "Special II" tab, check the "Enable Preconfigured Toolbars on the Tabbar" checkbox
  • Click on the "OK" button to accept the changes
  • Right click on the Firefox toolbar and choose "Customize..."
  • The tab bar now will show a red square at each side, where you may drop any toolbar button (for instance, any of the Showcase buttons)

I'm sorry that there's not a more automatic way to do that... I may work on an easier method based on an idea posted in this thread some days ago.

Test12345678 wrote:sweet, thanks.

i tried the AiOS extension, but i do not exactly understand how to enable it. any help please?

thanks a lot, for the help and the good extension!

P.S. is there a way to just add some sort of script in greasemonkey for the browser to add the button? sorry, i dont understand these things very well.
Test12345678

Post by Test12345678 »

Thanks man. I would appreciate it if you could make a separate extension for a customizable tabbar or that button, that would be great. The all in one sidebar is having weird effects on my firefox.
.Sphynx

Post by .Sphynx »

Ever since i updated to 0.9.2.3 i've lost the button to initiate the showcase. I.e. the little button with the drop-down arrow on the far right of the UI has been removed.

I hope this wasn't done on purpose.

EDIT: never mind - i found the source of the prblem. The extension "Tab Mix Plus" is incompatible with Showcase.

Tab Mix Plus bites the dust>un-install :)
faheemhameed

Post by faheemhameed »

What an extension! It's been wonderful for me.

One feature request:
When deleting a tab from showcase window (using Delete key) the focus is gone to the fist thumbnail.
I want it to go to the adjacent thumbnail.

Thanks for your good work.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Well, Tab Mix Plus current development version (available at the author's website forums) re-includes the tab bar arrow, and is 100% compatible with Showcase ;)

.sphynx wrote:Ever since i updated to 0.9.2.3 i've lost the button to initiate the showcase. I.e. the little button with the drop-down arrow on the far right of the UI has been removed.

I hope this wasn't done on purpose.

EDIT: never mind - i found the source of the prblem. The extension "Tab Mix Plus" is incompatible with Showcase.

Tab Mix Plus bites the dust>un-install :)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Yes, you're absolutely right on this. I'll write that down in my TODO list, and correct it in the next version.

faheemhameed wrote:What an extension! It's been wonderful for me.

One feature request:
When deleting a tab from showcase window (using Delete key) the focus is gone to the fist thumbnail.
I want it to go to the adjacent thumbnail.

Thanks for your good work.
s66v

Post by s66v »

Hi,

I have one feature request.
Is it possible to add a preview thumbnail like Opera has ? Once the user puts the mouse over any other dormant tab on the tab bar, he/she can see a thumbnail preview of what is available in that tab. This feature would make the extension very very useful.

thanks.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:Hi,

I have one feature request.
Is it possible to add a preview thumbnail like Opera has ? Once the user puts the mouse over any other dormant tab on the tab bar, he/she can see a thumbnail preview of what is available in that tab. This feature would make the extension very very useful.

thanks.

There's an extension that already does that... Tab preview. I might add a similar feature in Showcase in the future.
s66v

Post by s66v »

Wow. Thanks for the prompt response ! I searched the official firefox extensions and the Tab Preview is not listed there. Is it safe to download from the site you mention ? Just paranoid about some malicious code coming from external sources.

thanks
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

s66v wrote:Wow. Thanks for the prompt response ! I searched the official firefox extensions and the Tab Preview is not listed there. Is it safe to download from the site you mention ? Just paranoid about some malicious code coming from external sources.

thanks

It should be legit! I've readed about people that have been using it without any problems. There are several extensions that aren't listed in the official site and that are really good... If you are suspicious about sometihng, do a web search, and if it's malicious, you should see it pretty quick :)
s66v

Post by s66v »

Wonderful. Just tested it out and works great. It is also mentioned at several blogs (http://lifehacker.com/software/firefox- ... 140154.php)

It would be great to have this functionality rolled into your extension. Looking forward to it.

Thanks.
mudtoe

Post by mudtoe »

I've been using showcase for a few weeks, and I think I've found a bug of some sort. It looks like there is an issue with how the tabbed version of showcase gets control, and also possibly one with having the tabbed version up at the same time as the sidebar version, although the latter seems somewhat intermittent. In the first case, if I hit the toolbar button that brings up the tabbed version of showcase while I have a firefox tab open that has a page showing on it, as opposed to a blank new tab page, I get a large blurred version of one of the tabbed windows, and firefox goes to 100 percent cpu usage. Most of the time I can break the loop by hitting the toolbar button again to eliminate the window. If I do the same thing with a blank window open, all is well.

Also, on occasion I have issues with having both the tabbed version and the sidebar version up at the same time. The problem doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, the second instance to be opened shows the same large blurred window, and the firefox CPU usage goes to 100 percent. If you close the blurred one (i.e. the one opened second), the CPU usage goes back to normal. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing showcase, but that doesn't seem to make the problem go away. I'm using the latest version of the add-in.

mudtoe