Gran Paradiso Alpha 3

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
keithy397

Gran Paradiso Alpha 3

Post by keithy397 »

I tripped over Gran Paradiso Alpha 3 earlier. They kept it quiet didn't they?
Cheers,
Keith
mvent2

Post by mvent2 »

Compared to other alphas yes it did go rather unnoticed.
You should read Planet Mozilla (http://planet.mozilla.org) like I do, they have a countdown for all developer releases, along with all the blogs of developers so it makes for interesting reading as a bonus :)
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Thanks, duly bookmarked!

I got my info on a link leading to the Moz Dev Centre
Cheers,
Keith
echoes

Post by echoes »

mvent2 wrote:Compared to other alphas yes it did go rather unnoticed.
You should read Planet Mozilla (http://planet.mozilla.org) like I do, they have a countdown for all developer releases, along with all the blogs of developers so it makes for interesting reading as a bonus :)

thanks for that link. i think i will do that.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

I Hope NTT or Mr Tech fixes their versions soon so I can enable my extensions, right now, NTT and Mr Tech do not work with 3.0A3
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

R.Marotta wrote:I Hope NTT or Mr Tech fixes their versions soon so I can enable my extensions, right now, NTT and Mr Tech do not work with 3.0A3

You might find this article useful R.Marotta.
Cheers,
Keith
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

R.Marotta wrote:I Hope NTT or Mr Tech fixes their versions soon so I can enable my extensions, right now, NTT and Mr Tech do not work with 3.0A3

a solution,
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

or (if already you installed NTT/MRTT.)
rewrite minversion/maxversion in extension's "install.rdf" file.
delete extensions.cache/extensions.ini/extensions.rdf files in profile folder.
after that, restart 3.0a3, you can use NTT/MRTT.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

Thanks for all the help, I changed Extension.lastapp.version to 2.0.0.0 and that solved all my extension problems.....

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.9a3) Gecko/20070322 Firefox/2.0 - Build ID: 2007032220
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

R.Marotta wrote:Thanks for all the help, I changed Extension.lastapp.version to 2.0.0.0 and that solved all my extension problems.....

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.9a3) Gecko/20070322 Firefox/2.0 - Build ID: 2007032220
Well, actually I have done something that works better. I changed extension.lastapp.version to "". This has to be done in user.js and NOT in prefs.js. This permits you to switch back and forth between Trunk and branch builds using the same profile without having the extension compatibility check done when you switch. This eliminates 98% of the issues that arise from trying to share a profile between branch and trunk.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

wgianopoulos wrote:This has to be done in user.js and NOT in prefs.js.

It's quicker to do it in about:config I find.

Don't you get extension & other breakages using same profile in branch & trunk?
Cheers,
Keith
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

keithy397 wrote:
wgianopoulos wrote:This has to be done in user.js and NOT in prefs.js.

It's quicker to do it in about:config I find.

Don't you get extension & other breakages using same profile in branch & trunk?
changing extensions.lastapp.version in about:config is NOT effective as that changes it in prefs.js and that is overridden by the application when you switch back and forth between trunk and branch. If you set it in user.js the application does not override it.

I only run extensions that work correctly in both branch and trunk and avoid any that do not.

By setting extensions.checkCompatibility to false in about:config, and extesnsions.lastapp.version to the null string in user.js and avoiding extensions that don;t work in both versions, I have not run into any issues using the same profile for both. Except, of course, for the issue that they don;t use the same history, but you obviously have that issue if you use different profiles.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Thanks for the info.

I'll create a new profile and study what breaks and what doesn't!

All part of the learning curve.
Cheers,
Keith
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

keithy397 wrote:Thanks for the info.

I'll create a new profile and study what breaks and what doesn't!

All part of the learning curve.
Some things that will break are not obvious. For some reason I have no t figured out there are odd extension interractions that occur. I find that if I don't install nightly tester tools (I suspect Mr Tech's local install could have the same issue), Chatzilla (I run that in Xulrunner) or firebug, i have less trouble with other extensions when i switch back and forth. I am not surprised twith NTT causing issues at it has a version fro trunk and a version for branch and niether of those is advertised as working correctly with both. I run nightly tester tools light instead. The one of those that makes the least sense is Chatzilla. I am also not sure if firebug is actually an issue with going back and forth. I just have issues with firebug on trunk builds period. It causes some pages to just not render correctly, and embedded content on some pages to not work at all. I think it just makes some JavaScrpts fail in odd ways.
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

Well, this is very odd. I have been running for a long time with this exact configuration sharing profiles between trunk and branch with no issues, although I had never posted here about it for fear of causing issues for someone else because there configuration might be different and it could cause problems for them, so yesterday I decide to post something about it and today it suddenly stops working correctly for me. I started to run into the symptoms of bug 332972, which I had never previously experienced. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox 2.0.0.3 seems to have cleared it up, at least for now.

In any event it does not appear that trying to share profiles is anything anyone other than a serious Mozilla hacker should attempt. I was never trying to imply otherwise, however.