Vista and 2.0.0.3 - CNN videos not running

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VistaNew

Vista and 2.0.0.3 - CNN videos not running

Post by VistaNew »

Hi, Thanks for helping me out with this. When I try to watch videos on CNN.com it prompts me to download windows media player, but I already have that installed. Also, I had made sure that CNN is not on my pop-up block list. Any ideas?
Alice

Post by Alice »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media ... ing_plugin

Even if you restore the WMP plugin that is missing on Vista, CNN videos may give you problems and you'll got an error window that your version of Windows Media Player could not be determined. Sometimes you can click the "Continue to Video" button and the video may play fine, sometimes not.

You can try one of the links here to test your WMP plugin:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media ... WMP_plugin
...for example, this one
Alice Wyman
zbd

Post by zbd »

I cannot watch videos on FOXNEWS.com. The Windows Media Player works fine. Flash player works fine. Everything works fine on IE but not Firefox. Is there some plugin needed? Similar problems as VisaNew. Thank you for suggestions.
Alice

Post by Alice »

First try the suggestions I gave VistaNew to make sure the WMP plugin is installed and working. To see if your Flash plugin is working in Firefox, try one of the External links to test Flash given on the bottom of this page: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash

Videos on FOXNEWS.com worked for me after disabling Adblock Plus, so turn off your adblock extension if you have it installed in Firefox. Also make sure that cookies and JavaScript are enabled, as mentioned in the FOXNEWS.com Video Player window's Help link, then try the video again.
Alice Wyman
VistaNew

Post by VistaNew »

hi alice, does Firefox have issues with WMP 11. Should I also download 10? I tried disabling Adblocker for CNN and it still didn't play the video. I think the problem maybe version 11. Let me know pls and thanks, S
Alice

Post by Alice »

VistaNew,

If you are running Vista afaik you are stuck with WMP11, but other Vista users have been able to use it with the WMP plugin. Have you added the WMP plugin yet as explained in my first link? Have you tested it using the test pages given in my second link and is the plugin working? If yes, then what exactly happens when you click a video link at CNN.com?

As far as CNN.com, sometimes you get told that WMP can't be detected even when the plugin is working, sometimes you have to click the "Continue to Video" button and sometimes it takes awhile to load. I went to http://www.cnn.com/ just now and was able to view the "Just for Laughs" video , Comedy Central's Jon Stewart....(March31) .

Do you see the WMP console (strip with control buttons and sliders) underneath where the video should play, like in this image?
If so then your WMP plugin is installed.
Alice Wyman
VistaNew

Post by VistaNew »

Alice, Thank you, your plugins worked. :) S
Alice

Post by Alice »

The ones from my first link, you mean ;)

Glad to hear it.
Alice Wyman
1american

Firefox Plugin

Post by 1american »

I was not a part of the original conversation concerning the firefox plugin but after reading a little and dnl it my foxnews vidios are playing perfectly. Thanks a heap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1american
softshell

Re: Vista and 2.0.0.3 - CNN videos not running

Post by softshell »

I can't see videos on video.foxnews.com but can see them on other foxnews.com pages?? on video.foxnews.com there is just a black area and no controls at bottom for videos.
Tried all this and nothing is working. Any other thoughts?
DanRaisch

Re: Vista and 2.0.0.3 - CNN videos not running

Post by DanRaisch »

softshell wrote:Any other thoughts?

Yes, I think you should create a new topic. The thread you've posted to has been dormant for almost 3 years and relates to a version of Firefox that has been obsolete for almost that long.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.