Mozilla Thunderbird 2 RC 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Mozilla Thunderbird 2 RC 1 Feedback Thread

Post by mscott »

Thunderbird 2 RC 1 is now available for download!

Builds for over 35 locales on all platforms can be found <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/all-beta.html">here</a>.
For more information about the RC, check out the <a href="http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/2.0.0.0/releasenotes/">release notes</a>.

Beta 2 users will be offered the RC via software update early next week.

Thanks for all the great feedback we got on the beta threads. We're looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the release candidate!

-Team Thunderbird
Last edited by mscott on April 18th, 2007, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

Search bar is much smaller than the one in version 1.5. A solution like Firefox 2's search bar would have been nice.
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

I'm seeing the Spellcheck underline in the Subject textbox in the compose window with Check spelling and Enable spell check turned off. Is this normal or a bug or is there a Config editor setting I need to change?
Andy Burns

Theme

Post by Andy Burns »

I don't want to be too negative about the default theme (I'm sure it's someone's pride and joy) but is there a TB1.5 theme for TB2.0 available anywhere?
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

The new welcome page (I prefer the old one) is using a new font. Can't the same font be used as before? The font used now looks like a more blurry version of Windows ClearType. It's difficult to read.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

Importing extensions did not work as well as someone had blogged.
Importing themes is another issue (Noia extreme looks good!).

The highlighting feature when performing searches has disappeared or become an option?
ton85

Post by ton85 »

welcome page uses clear type, which doesn't look good on my laptop.
also, isn't there a way to make TB go directly to the inbox?
Little Buddha

Post by Little Buddha »

- It's not possible to choose between different dictionarys or select one.
- You can only create a @googmail.com account bot not a @gmail.com account...
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

^
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... wse/type:3
Most of dictionaries are not yet bumped to TB 2.0.0.* by owners,
for instance (quote: recent install.rdf of...)

... de-de:
<em:minVersion>2.0a1</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>2.0a1</em:maxVersion>

... nl-nl:
<em:minVersion>1.5</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>2.0a1</em:maxVersion>

en-GB:
<em:minVersion>2.0a1</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>2.0b1</em:maxVersion>

to switch between dictionaries, take this extension
http://en.design-noir.de/mozilla/dictio ... itcher-tb/
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

Tb 2.0.0.0 RC1 (1.8.1.3: 2007032620) win XP sp2
installed: en-US build + language packages (de) and (nl) from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... win32/xpi/ :

missing radio-button "Gmail" in localized Account Wizard both de.xpi and nl.xpi (perhaps all?),

see images (en-US):

and (de):

same in (nl).

EDIT: only a language package issue
Last edited by Amsterdammer on April 8th, 2007, 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FirefoxRocks61

Post by FirefoxRocks61 »

Very nice. I really like the theme and so does everyone else in the household.
Many extensions are still incompatible which should be fixed soon.
The tags feature is much better, customizable tags are the way to go.

However I am still looking for increased compatibility with security software like Norton Internet Security or Windows Live OneCare. That isn't really a big thing though, I'm sure Thunderbird is the most secure email client available.

Is it just me and my monitor or has the words changed so it is a little harder to read?
Get Mozilla Firefox! Safer, faster, better!
Get Mozilla Thunderbird! Reclaim your Inbox!
wurstsemmel

Post by wurstsemmel »

Amsterdammer wrote:missing radio-button "Gmail" in localized Account Wizard both de.xpi and nl.xpi (perhaps all?)

I cannot confirm this in the german (de) localized build (Tb 2.0.0.0 RC1), did not try the language packs.

I have a suggestion for handling embedded images in Junkmail:
If you remove "img(alt,title,longdesc,src)" from the key "mailnews.display.html_sanitizer.allowed_tags" embedded images in Junkmail will not be shown. This would be a nice security enhancement. Images (embedded or remote) are useless in Junkmail. So why not changing the value for this key by default?

By the way, is it true that JavaScript is turned off by default? I cannot find a possibility to configure this in the GUI, but its fine!

Greetings,

wurstsemmel

EDIT: I think Bug 108153 explains, why "img(alt,title,longdesc,src)" is included.
P.S. Thank you for all the work done in Tb 2.0! It's great.
Last edited by wurstsemmel on April 9th, 2007, 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

For my two pieces of wampum Scott et al, you folks truly outdid yourselves on a fabulous piece of software here! It is a sheer joy to use this client for my email, so much so that I've been looking for reasons to write people and bug them. ;) (Mostly to tell them about this new TBird RC 1 build and to grab it, or to look out for when it goes final.)

It's been rock-stable on both my VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO Beta2 and my PCLOS TR3 2007. I haven't switched over to my Puppy install yet to try it there but I have no doubts it'll perform as equally well.

By the way: The few extensions that I use to make my life easier have already been updated (like Contacts Sidebar, TimeStamp, Buttons!, Tagzilla, etc.) and likewise work flawlessly. While my usual theme has also been made to work with it (Mostly Crystal) I did pick up a delightful piece of artwork from AMO titled something like "Vista Black" I think? Stunning! Left me breathless!

My kudos to all involved, from Scott, to the rest of the devs, to the beta-testers who worked so tirelessly in bug reporting so as to get this build out. You've done an amazing and simply remarkable job IMVHO.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

wurstsemmel wrote:
Amsterdammer wrote:missing radio-button "Gmail" in localized Account Wizard both de.xpi and nl.xpi (perhaps all?)

I cannot confirm this in the German (de) localized build (Tb 2.0.0.0 RC1), did not try the language packs.

I can confirm on my system, that this is only an issue with language packages, not with the original localized builds, here are 4 radio-buttons including Gmail (so this test was passed on litmus). Account Wizards of language packages only show 3 radio-buttons (no Gmail-button), tested vice versa with other localized builds and language packages (de, nl, en-GB).
kermalou

Post by kermalou »

one problem I have is that the header information doesn't show up in the emails at all. Usually I could click on the senders name and create a filter or copy their address, but now it doesn't even show up anymore.... http://www.kermalou.com/up/files/1/thunder.JPG

also, when I forward email, I get this extra line in the forward called references:
http://www.kermalou.com/up/files/1/thunder2.JPG

thanks