How to handle overflow:auto in a DIV in a TABLE in an IFRAME

Discuss how to use and promote Web standards with the Mozilla Gecko engine.
NGLN

How to handle overflow:auto in a DIV in a TABLE in an IFRAME

Post by NGLN »

Hello forum,

I do have the following index.htm:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
  <table width="100%" height="100%">
    <tr>
      <td style="background: url('images/gradientgreen960.png') repeat-x" align="center">
        <iframe name="content" id="content" src="home2.htm" width="770px" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no">
          <p>
            Your browser doesn't ...
          </p>
        </iframe>
      </td>
    </tr>
  </table>
</body>
</html>
and the following home2.htm:

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
  <table width="100%" height="100%">
    <tr>
      <td>
        <div style="overflow: auto; width: 100%; height: 100%; border: 0px">
          <p>
            Some text<br/>
            Some text<br/>
            Some text<br/>
            Some text<br/>
            Some text<br/>
            Some text
          </p>
        </div>
      </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <td style="background: url('images/punt.gif') no-repeat bottom; height: 40px"/>
    </tr>
  </table>
</body>
</html>

When sizing a Firefox-browser, there doesn't appear a scrollbar next to "some text" as I would expect of the DIV with overflow:auto.
MS InternetExporer does show the scrollbar.

How can or must I change the above documents to get the scrollbar?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Web Development
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

You want the inactive scrollbar when scrolling is not needed? I think you can do it this way:

overflow-y:scroll;
NGLN

Post by NGLN »

Thanks! That would work great if I don't want an horizontal scrollbar.

Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem. Auto is the preferred setup, but in both situations (scroll, auto) the scrollbar will not become active.

I have discovered that home2.htm alone shows the problem also. I think it has something to do with height: 100%; it doesn't relate the 100% height to the parent height. When I use fixed sizes, everything works fine.

Note: in both IE and FF, the problems become a lot worse when I use any DOCTYPE declaration, also because of the height: 100% (in both table- and div-sections).

The idea is to fill up the total windowheight with a static header and footer, and to show a scrolling content in between.

Any other idea how to get to this goal? Or how to affect the html according to the different browsers?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

NGLN wrote:Note: in both IE and FF, the problems become a lot worse when I use any DOCTYPE declaration, also because of the height: 100% (in both table- and div-sections).

This is a signal that you are relying on some funky historical rendering. Probably best to bite the bullet and fix it.

NGLN wrote:The idea is to fill up the total windowheight with a static header and footer, and to show a scrolling content in between.

Firefox requires the following CSS rule to make vertical percentages meant to be a percentage of the "viewport" work:

html, body {height:100%;}

The following usually is a good idea, too:

html, body {margin:0; padding:0;}

NGLN wrote:Any other idea how to get to this goal? Or how to affect the html according to the different browsers?

There are many sites offering CSS layouts to get you started. Certainly the wrapper table is not helping here. Unfortunately, I haven't bookmarked them...
NGLN

Post by NGLN »

This is a signal that you are relying on some funky historical rendering. Probably best to bite the bullet and fix it.
Yes, I know and I understand. In the last week I have tried any combination of iframes, framesets, position: fixed, overflowing div's, etc... but it didn't gave the appropriate result. So, I now use a workaround:

div.frame {
  overflow: auto;
  margin-left: 10px;
  margin-right: 10px;
  width: 750px;
  height: 285px; /* Other browsers */
  _height: 100%; /* IE browsers */
  border: 0;
}

This gives the desired result in IE, and in FF it is also not so bad.

Thanks very much for your post and time.