Mozilla Thunderbird 2 RC 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
freddominic

Feedback on RC1

Post by freddominic »

I tried it out and overall it looked great, worked great, and I like all of the new features and the new UI/face. Unfortunately,
however, there is one huge show stopper that forced me to go back to v1.5, and that is the incompatibility
with a few extensions that are *crucial* for me. I'm an old unix user, but who for various reasons needs
to use windows, so I need these. The
three extensions are "Nostalgy" (which adds shortcuts to change folder, move messages, and has fast
folder completion). It was not compatible with 2.0. The other is "External Editor 0.7.3". It is listed as
compatible, but it just didn't work after trying many options (including de-installing the extension, reinstalling it,
updating it, and trying lots of different options). I use external editor to invoke emacs when I'm composing
long emails (yes, I still need emacs, that's how old I am :-). The third extension that I need is "Xpunge 0.2.2".

Sorry guys, without these extensions I need to stick to 1.5 for now (but as soon as these are resolved, or if there are
workarounds that I discover), I'll immediately try out 2.0 again.

In general, thanks for the great software!!!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

freddominic,
Many of the extension authors wait for a version to be released before updating them. This is one of the disadvantages of using test builds. Expect those extensions to be updated after release. If they aren't, bug their respective authors. Extensions are third party...
Amsterdammer

Post by Amsterdammer »

@freddominic, this is the recurrent problem of a major releases of Mozilla products, please look here .

and btw: TB 2 is not yet released ;)
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

kermalou wrote:one problem I have is that the header information doesn't show up in the emails at all. Usually I could click on the senders name and create a filter or copy their address, but now it doesn't even show up anymore....

Do you use Mnenhy? With older versions you get this problem. Try mnenhy 0.7.5 and your problem should be solved.
marcan

Searching for tags problem

Post by marcan »

I cannot get searching for tags to work. I always get no hits when searching for tags. I experienced the same when using beta2. Is there anything I have to do to make searching work for tags? I mean, sort of the point with tags is to make search folders and if they aren't searchable...

The tagged messages are from an IMAP server (exchange) and it seems the tagging in itself works (since tags set are remembered by thunderbird).

Apart from that I think 2.0 is really good.
mscott

Post by mscott »

Little Buddha wrote:- It's not possible to choose between different dictionarys or select one.
- You can only create a @googmail.com account bot not a @gmail.com account...

You must be using an en-GB or a German build :)

See: http://news.com.com/Behind+Googles+Germ ... 15056.html
Thunderbirds are Go!
alex2364

Post by alex2364 »

I'm getting a new mail icon in my system tray when there is no new email in any of my accounts. It says the new email is in one of my POP accounts. Anyone else have this issue?
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

I was having this issue, but I discovered that, by default, on the Account's Server Settings the default was not to Automatically download new messages. It was checking for new mail, notifying me, but not downloading it. Checking that box fixed it.
velkymx

Post by velkymx »

Can we get an Empty Junk on right click of the Junk folder?
alex2364

Post by alex2364 »

Thanks NickJH. That solved my problem.
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

@mscott,
I am not sure that it is particularly user friendly not to download POP mail by default. I think OE works that way and I am sure TB used to as well. I had that problem a little while back when I rebuilt my profile from scratch and alex2364 has had the same issue.
Is it worth filing a bug or will it be thrown out?
Nick

[edit]correct the addressee[/edit]
curtiscarmack

Post by curtiscarmack »

Does anyone else have a chrome error in the Mac OS X version that results in about 100 pixels of padding along the bottom margin (below the status bar and with the same backbround) displaying the following message in red:

<menuitem
-----------------------^

I am temporarily unable to post a screen shot, but perhaps someone else is seeing this?

Curt
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

curtiscarmack

Post by curtiscarmack »

Thanks! Turns out it's the "Buttons" extension. It passes the compatibility check, but doesn't actually work. If anyone else has this problem (i.e., in the Mac OS X version), just disabling the extension worked for me.

Curt
JeffHCross

Post by JeffHCross »

Can anybody tell me what the version # is in Help->About for RC1? I was prompted by Thunderbird last night to install the new RC, but I don't recall it actually installing on the next restart. Checking for Updates returns nothing.