Hotmail is screwed!! no more tabs!!!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Offler

Hotmail is screwed!! no more tabs!!!

Post by Offler »

Says it all, a new hotmail is released today and when you use either middle-click or Cntr-click no tab appears, I dont know how Microsoft have done it but it's quiet obvious who they are targeting here......the only viable opponent to IE. Log into hotmail and see if you can open any emails with tabs!.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Yup - when you mouse over a button you get the I mouse icon too. Odd.

I don't love the new hotmail view, although I can see some reasons why it might be better than the old.
old np

Post by old np »

It's javascript links, that's why.
Offler

Post by Offler »

I dont care I want my tabs back!!!!, what can be done?, does anyone out there know why its doing this and what can be done to use tabs again?. Is it because Javascript is used? (I haven't had a realy close look so.....)
Offler

Post by Offler »

Though so......CRAP!
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

why use hotmail.

microsoft would someday require you to sign in once every day and click on an ad every hour, if you want the free account.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Racer

Post by Racer »

Before, the tabs were just a link. Now it is a convoluted Javascript call (e.g. javascript:G('/cgi-bin/hmhome?'); ). Some browsers know that this is a link and can thus work perfectly fine with it. Mozilla however isn't smart enough yet.

Some of the full links are:
Today: http://lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/hmhome?
Mail: http://lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMaiL?
Contacts: http://lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/addresses?

Here is the new function G that is being called instead of a normal link. What a waste:
function G(UR)
{
if(UR)
location.href=UR+"&"+_UM;
}
Offler

Post by Offler »

Yes its what I've been saying from the start its just so that they can take away the greatest advantage Mozilla had TABS!!!!, god I hate them!. I've been using hotmail 4 years I cant just dump my address. Can anyone see Mozilla ever figureing out that these are just obfuscated links????. In other words will a future version of Mozilla/Firebird get links again, so you can use tabs?.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

This reminds me of a feature I would quite like - The ability to load "pop up images" (requested) into a tab, rather than being forced to have them open in a special window (a la IE). I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but it would remove an annoyance. Then again, i'd like confirmation boxes on "Set as Wallpaper" and "Send Link/Image" too, but heh :)
- Paul
Colin Ramsay

Post by Colin Ramsay »

Offler if you could calm down and use clear language in your posts, that would help. Thanks.

I've come across this problem before, particularly on gaming websites which use Javascript to show screenshots. Has no-one come up with a work around? Or an extension even?
http://colinramsay.ath.cx - Mozilla, CSS, .NET
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

There isn't an extension on this, but TBE *could* (but doesn't) do this, since it hacks how Firebird/Mozilla recieves Javascript link clicks (for stuff like Single Window Mode, etc.)
gids

Post by gids »

Colin Ramsay wrote:
I've come across this problem before, particularly on gaming websites which use Javascript to show screenshots. Has no-one come up with a work around? Or an extension even?

there was a similar problem with Javascript links used on google to remember what was in the search field, which was fixed, so I'm guessing this might be fixable.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

File a bug in Bugzilla, the devs might be able to do something about it.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

One option is to use the tool that converts Hotmail to a pop email account. Then you can read it with Thunderbird. I do this using Yahoo Pops for Yahoo Email.
smiley_lauf

Post by smiley_lauf »

Goldzilla
I would like to know how you did that. That would really save me the trouble of having to use hotmail off the web.
Cheers,
SM
WinXPPro-SP2

Netscape 7.2
SM 1.5a 14-11-2005 Nightlybuild
FF recent milestone release