Thunderbird 2.0RC1: Message Filters won't Tag mail

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Lifesaver2000

Thunderbird 2.0RC1: Message Filters won't Tag mail

Post by Lifesaver2000 »

I'm using 2.0RC1 on Windows XP-SP2. I have a few message filters set up, some that move messages to specific folders, others that are supposed to apply a message tag. Those filters which move messages to specific folders work fine on incoming mail automatically, but the filters for tagging do not work unless I manually "Run Message Filters on Folder" using the selection under Tools. The filters are very simple: "If xxx@yyy is in the from field, tag as xyz" type stuff. Since the filters work fine when run manually, I have to assume they are set up properly, so I'm wondering if this is a bug?

In a possibly related matter, the filters for tags don't seem to work on outgoing mail either, unless run manually also. Since I'm not sure filters are supposed to work on outgoing mail, I don't know if it is a problem or not. I do have Tbird set up so that all outgoing mail goes into the inbox rather than sent folders, and the filters are set up to work on the inbox, so I thought they would get the tags automatically.

Thanks,

M
farFox

Post by farFox »

possibly previously pegged as a bug
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359814
Last edited by farFox on April 18th, 2007, 6:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
anonym

Post by anonym »

If I add a new address to a filter, and then run the filter on my inbox, the target mail is not moved to the desired folder. Maybe our problems are somewhow related.

Build 2.0.0.0pre (20070417)
janeri

Post by janeri »

This seems to be a problem in th release version of 2.0 as well. In my case the filters move messages ok, but tag'ing does not work.
toliscsd

Post by toliscsd »

I have the same problem too (Win XP SP2), as this described in bug 359814.
jeremyleib

Post by jeremyleib »

I am also having the same problem, but with me, it's interesting that on my IMAP account, all the filters work fine. On my POP account (Gmail), as the original poster said, 'move' filters work fine, but tag filters only work if I select 'run filters on folder.'
RDL

Voting for an Early Solution

Post by RDL »

jeremyleib wrote:I am also having the same problem, but with me, it's interesting that on my IMAP account, all the filters work fine. On my POP account (Gmail), as the original poster said, 'move' filters work fine, but tag filters only work if I select 'run filters on folder.'

Are this linked post and the following ones of any use?

If so, as I ask there, to try to encourage an early fix, please vote for both these two bugs on Mozilla Bugzilla

and

Don't bother to add any posts there - that just gets called spam.

Instead, first make sure you're registered with them ("New Account" at top or bottom of the bug page there)

then re-display the bug if needed and you will see a link near the top right hand corner

"Votes" (which leads to some partly out of date instructions).

To the right of that, see "(vote)" and click on that.

You will see a list including the one for which you wish to vote.

Check (tick) that one

and, at the bottom, click "Change My Votes"

If you don't click "Change My Votes", it won't count yours.

If tens or, better, hundreds or, even better, thousands of us vote for these bugs, they might even, unusually, get fixed at the next security update. They should be, because, for people used to and requiring use of tags/labels they impinge on the use of anti virus software.

VOTE for an early solution!
rodness

Post by rodness »

Looks like this is fixed for 2.0.0.4. (It's affecting me too... but Bienvenu is the man.) Do we have any idea when to expect that release yet?
RDL

Post by RDL »

rodness wrote:Looks like this is fixed for 2.0.0.4. (It's affecting me too... but Bienvenu is the man.) Do we have any idea when to expect that release yet?

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=541310&postdays=0&postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=15#2865227

Since there are currently at least four bugs still listed as requiring fix before general release, there's no guarantee that 2.0.0.4 will appear in May. However, we can hope. As you say, David Bienvenu was very quick to field this one and keen to get the fix released as early as possible.

If a new FF appears first then the TB release version will probably change to match.
ajgarvin

re: issue with "tag" action in message filter

Post by ajgarvin »

I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.0 and have been having the same issue: message filters that included an action of tagging a message didn't seem to function when running automatically.

For me, going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Anti-Virus and turning off (un-checking)
"Allow anti-virus clients to quarantine individual incoming messages"
got the tag action working.

I know it's a workaround, but it's one I can live with for the time being.
RDL

Re: re: issue with "tag" action in message filter

Post by RDL »

ajgarvin wrote:I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.0 and have been having the same issue: message filters that included an action of tagging a message didn't seem to function when running automatically.

For me, going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Anti-Virus and turning off (un-checking)
"Allow anti-virus clients to quarantine individual incoming messages"
got the tag action working.

I know it's a workaround, but it's one I can live with for the time being.

Thank you.

(1) You may find it useful to read the thread linked to in the post just above yours.

(2) That thread relates to this bug as in TB 2.0.0.0 (which you are using) and circumventions and a pending fix for this bug in that current general release. Now that TB 2.0.0.0 has been out for a month, posting any new information about the bug would probably be more usefully posted there than in this forum, which covers development builds (in this topic, Thunderbird 2.0RC1).

(3) Caution: if you are using an Anti-Virus to scan your incoming mail, then if it encounters a virus could it either delete or quarantine that mail? If so, as you are working, that might mean losing your entire inbox. Just for information - please don't reply here.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

FWIW, I am running 2.0.0.6, and message filters still don't work. I strictly use them to move messages to folders, and most of the filters don't run. As stated, if I select a single filter and run it manually, it'll work. However, automatic filtering seems pretty broken. Some work, and some don't, which is even more perplexing.
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

gunrunnerjohn,
I seem to remember (but can't find) a thread describing where the first "n" filters ran but the remaining filters didn't. I don't remember much more as the few filters I have all work. Lucky I guess.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

I remember that thread too, the odd thing is that nobody else seems to remember. ](*,)

I guess I'm having a hard time believing this is that hard to fix, and it's existed since the 1.5x days. :-s
RDL

Post by RDL »

gunrunnerjohn wrote:FWIW, I am running 2.0.0.6, and message filters still don't work. I strictly use them to move messages to folders, and most of the filters don't run. As stated, if I select a single filter and run it manually, it'll work. However, automatic filtering seems pretty broken. Some work, and some don't, which is even more perplexing.

1) TB 2.0.0.6 is on general release. It is not a test release/build.

2) This forum is titled 'Thunderbird Builds'. It is not for discussing problems in general releases such as 2.0.0.6

3) Your problem is not the same as the one described in this topic. The originating poster said very clearly, in that first post, that they had problems where the filter action was to 'tag' but they did not have a problem where the problem was to 'move'.

4) You should start a new topic ('new question') in the 'Thunderbird Support' forum and also give some idea of what type of account (POP3 or IMAP) you are using, which account is receiving the incoming mail in question, where that mail is stored, and under which account your filters have been defined.

You should also give a detailed example of at least one of the filters, including the 'rule(s)' in use and the complete form of the action.

Note also, in case it might have some bearing, that once just one filter has moved a message then no subsequent filters in the set will be applied to or act on that message.

Automatic filtering will only be applied where either filters are defined under the account which is handling the incoming mail or (in addition), if the Global Inbox under Local Folders is being used, then where the filters are defined under the Local Folders account.