Message Filters not Taging Messages automatically? TB 2.0

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
M_Lyons10

Message Filters not Taging Messages automatically? TB 2.0

Post by M_Lyons10 »

I just installed Thunderbird 2.0, and the message filters I had setup in 1.5 to tag messages based on various filter rules are not doing so upon receipt of the mail. I need to go into the Message Filters Settings and manually run each filter.

Is anyone else having this problem? I would very much like to get this corrected, as it is quite time consuming. Running the filters on a folder from Tools > Run Filters on Folder does not work either.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again, aside from this I am very pleased with TB 2.0. Very slick.
%

Post by % »

one or both of these may shed some light

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 4fffabf405

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=339778
look at the entry of Jan 24 ±
M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Thank you very much. The bug report says that this bug was fixed, though it appears to still be a problem. I am a bit concerned with the workaround of disallowing AntiVirus programs to quarantine incoming messages... That to me is a scary workaround... I really hope this can be fixed.
M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Can anyone confirm, has this bug not been fixed for the final release? It says that it is fixed, but I am still having this problem, and disabling my AntiVirus from being able to quarantine my mail is simply an unacceptable workaround. I can't be getting a virus because I want to filter my mail... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Post by Guest »

if you disable Quarantine, your antiVirus will still work; just that if there's an infected mail, your entire inbox contents may get deleted

( http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozil ... ptions.cwd )
3rd subsection
M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Oh, that's wonderful...lol...

Thank you very much for the clarification (As scary as it is. ;) ).

Thanks Again, hopefully they can get this corrected, but I'm kind of surprised that they released 2.0 with issues like this. I have never had a problem with a Mozilla product.
catester

Post by catester »

I installed TB 2.0.0.0 (20070326) today. I had been using 1.5.whatever. I have several filters set up, all of them on POP3 accounts. Two of the filters involve tagging messages that meet certain criteria. These filters were fine until I upgraded. Now they do not work at all, even when I try to run them manually.

Before the upgrade, for example, email to or from a certain account was assigned a label, and the text in the list of messages turned red. That isn't happening automagically. Even when I go to the filter and tell it to run now, it isn't happening. I examined the filter log, and the last entry in it was 20 minutes before I upgraded.

I can click on the Tag icon and manually assign a tag, and the font changes color as expected. However, that is not a good solution; the point is to let TB do this so I don't have to look at every doggone message.

Any chance of this one getting corrected any time soon? It's a big annoyance for me.

Thanks.

Edited to add: Win XP PRo - Fully patched
Last edited by catester on April 20th, 2007, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cate Eales

"But the coolest part is that the documentation will be delivered by flying pigs!" ~ Dilbert's pointy-haired boss ~
OPaul

Post by OPaul »

I'm having the same problem when I went from 1.5 to 2.0. None of my tagging filters I run manually work anymore.
I have always wished for a computer that would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish came true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.
--Bjarne Stroustrup
M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Yeah, you have to go into the Message Filter Options / Setup Menu to run the filters individually and manually in order for them to tag the messages properly. This is very frustrating. I hope this gets corrected pronto, as this makes checking my mail a big pain in the butt... It's amazing how quickly the message taging became an integral part of my mail checking...lol
catester

Post by catester »

M_Lyons10 wrote:Yeah, you have to go into the Message Filter Options / Setup Menu to run the filters individually and manually in order for them to tag the messages properly. This is very frustrating. I hope this gets corrected pronto, as this makes checking my mail a big pain in the butt... It's amazing how quickly the message taging became an integral part of my mail checking...lol

Yeah. Even that isn't working for me.

Between this and 2.0 killing my "Signature" extension, I'm having a hard time. It's amazing what I now find I can't live without.
Cate Eales

"But the coolest part is that the documentation will be delivered by flying pigs!" ~ Dilbert's pointy-haired boss ~
M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Oh, it's odd that that works for me, but not for you.

I miss the Signature extension too, hopefully there will be an update soon (A good few of my extensions aren't running on 2.0 yet). I was able to force Signature extension to run by editing the install.rdf file, but given the problems I'm having with Thunderbird 2.0 without monkeying around with extensions that haven't been made compatible, I disabled it for the time being.
catester

Post by catester »

I am beginning to think that this problem has to do with 2.0 being able to apply more than one tag. IIRC, 1.5 could only apply one Label. I think 1.5 was more forgiving of murky message filters set up by non-experts. (That would be me.)

I have one email account called phonyname@shaw.ca. I have another domain that I use, rlis.com, and I have two accounts on that domain. One is madeupname1@rlis.com, and the other is madeupname2@rlis.com. All the mail goes into a common In Box. That's why I made filters. What used to happen was that everything to phonyname@shaw.ca used to get a label called "Cate" and madeupname1@rlis.com was "RLIS" and madeupname2@rlis.com was "Sandy." "Cate" was a blue font, "Sandy" was green, and "RLIS" was red. Worked good, lasted a long time. I had other filters as well, to dump things in different folders, but those didn't get labels.

Now, I notice that TB is putting more than one tag on some of my messages. So the filters were...filtering...but everything for RLIS ended up with a tag of "Cate" even though it sometimes had an RLIS, tag, too.

Once I got that far, I started turning things off and manually running filters. This took quite awhile, since I didn't really know where to start except to turn off "Cate" first. Eventually, I ended up with two rules for "Cate" instead of one, and they are stricter rules, where you have to match everything, not just anything. Somehow this worked.

So, clearly I'm not an expert at this, but I did come to believe that it's the more than one tag thing, and when that capability wasn't there, somehow filters did what I wanted them to do. When I upgraded to 2.0 yesterday, I didn't change any of the filters. I looked to see that they were still there and still in the "right" order, but I didn't change anything. So what changed in TB version 2.0 that made this process 100 times as hard as it needs to be?

Just my advice to anyone who seems to be having a problem where filters don't work: Check how many tags you have on a message. Somehow, one tag must be taking precedence over the other ones. And how can we change that, BTW? I moved things around in the order they're supposed to be applied, and I never hit on the magic combination until I changed a couple of filters.

Good grief.

Edited to fix a really confusing sentence. Edited again to remove real email addresses; I get enough spam already.
Last edited by catester on April 22nd, 2007, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cate Eales

M_Lyons10

Post by M_Lyons10 »

Hm, that is very interesting. I only have one filter that would apply to any given e-mail, so it's a little different. None of my mail is being filtered / taged, so I don't know how this can be corrected. I really would very much like for this to be corrected, as I really loved the ability of Thunderbird to tag mail as it comes in. As it stands, the filters in Thunderbird 2.0 are not even useable... :(

I hope we can get a fix for this soon.
catester

Post by catester »

It's true. This isn't really a usable arrangement. I got rid of the double-tagging, but I still have to run the filters manually. I'd've thought more people would have been affected by this.
Cate Eales

gls

Filters are not working

Post by gls »

I'm seeing filter problems also. On my email server, I have all emails marked by SpamAssassin moved to a seperate mailbox. I then use Thunderbird to check that mailbox for mis-marked messages. I created a rule to automatically marked as read and change the priority to lowest on those messages that are obviously spam by checking to custom headers - X-Spam-Level contain ***** and X-Spam-Status contain USER_IN_BLACKLIST. This way I only have to check the not so obvious messages, specifically those with a spam level of 2.9 (my setting in SpamAssassin) up to 5. This rule worked in 1.5. But as soon as I upgraded, it stopped working. If I manually run the rule, nothing happens.

I tried creating a rule using this custom headers, and they run fine. But if I save the search, it doesn't work. If I create a search using a non-custom header, like subject, then the search works.

This is just about getting me to stop using Thunderbird, but right now, I don't know of another option.