Paragraph breaks in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjpvt

Paragraph breaks in Thunderbird

Post by sjpvt »

Hello all,
I am sure this is a dumb question, but I can't seem to fix this issue. Whenever I compose an email in Thunderbird, it often (not always) ignores by "enter/return" keyboard selections when I want to start a new paragraph. The new paragraph appears fine in my composing window, but in the actual sent email, all of the paragraphs run together into one long paragraph. How do I get Thunderbird to recognize when I want to start a new paragraph?
Thanks,
SJP
steelburgh

Paragraph breaks - having same problem

Post by steelburgh »

I've been having the same problems for months now and have also been unable to find a solution. Sometimes the breaks works correctly and my emails look as intended, but most of the time my paragraphs get smashed together and they look like shit. I've done everything I can think messing with the options, but I'm also at a loss.

Anybody? Or are we idiots?
Steelburgh

Re: Paragraph breaks - having same problem

Post by Steelburgh »

^
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The way Thunderbird works depends on whether you write HTML or plain text messages. In an HTML message, Thunderbird inserts a line break tag <br> when you press Enter or Return. Alternatively, you can choose to use real paragraph tags <p> by using the paragraph style menu. In a plain text message, you can only press Enter or Return twice to make a blank line. Which kind of message are you writing? And which version of Thunderbird are you using?
Rod
TheSchmuck

Re: Paragraph breaks in Thunderbird

Post by TheSchmuck »

On my system, pressing enter when editing an HTML email generates a <br> tag. I'd prefer that it generated a pair of <p></p> tags, since I'd like to set styles for paragraphs in my email stationary.

I can't find any option to control what Thunderbird does when you press enter. Is there an option somewhere to make Thunderbird generate <p></p> tags? I can't find the "Paragraph Format" menu that Rod talks about.

Daniel