The messages pane is messed up

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
_Hiro_

Post by _Hiro_ »

I just cleared my Java Cache, and noticed that I'm still on Java 5. I'm updating to Java 6, and checking Windows Update to see if they have a different video driver.
mcarrara

Post by mcarrara »

Emptying the Java cache did not help me. I also changed the fonts that TB uses and that didn't help. I went to the NVIDA site and downloaded the latest drivers and that didn't help

Post by Guest »

I'm running a Dell Dimension 4100 with Windows 2000 Professional.

Nvidia TNT/TNT2 type graphics card.

I upgraded the driver for the video card via the Windows upgrade process, but that didn't help.
Then went to the Nvidia site, downloaded the latest driver for my card.

Nvidia site tells you that you MUST unistall previous driver software before installing the new driver software. So I uninstalled 2 drivers (the old one and the new one that had been installed via the Windows Update process.) When uninstalling the second driver, the uninstall process gave me a box that told me I had to reboot (only an OK button, no "reboot later" button). I ignored that box and installed the new driver that I had downloaded from the Nvidia site (ForceWare 78.01 for TNT/TNT2). After it installed, I rebooted.

Problem solved!
Old fdisk2k

Post by Old fdisk2k »

If you need a better solution for video drivers "leftovers" try this tool:

Driver Cleaner [find a trial version, now is a pay program :( ], this program is a cool app.
jume

Post by jume »

I also had this problem and have the TNT2 RIVA m64 video card. I'm downloading an updated driver now, so I'll see if it's better in a bit. (How come when I looked a few months ago I couldn't find this driver? *le sigh*)

My computer is *not* a dell for what that's worth xD
Lance Wong

Post by Lance Wong »

I have a rather old Compaq PC with a legacy NVidia Vanta graphics card. Can't seem to find any more recent driver thatn I already have, and it's impossible to locate on the NVidia site. Yet, the problem with the scrambled messages on my Thunderbird 2 remains.

What should I do?

Will Mozilla make this an issue to solve themselves? To me it seems like too big a bug to ignore or to blame on other manufacturers.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Thunderbird does not use Java. (It uses JavaScript, which is not related.)

I read that the problem is caused by gradient fills in the default theme. Using some other theme can fix it.

There is a formal bug report, and you can read the developers' discussion: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352694
Rod
tkomsta

Post by tkomsta »

Had same issues of this thread. Upgraded video driver. Resolved.

Running Xp Home on an eMachine.

Old Driver:
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64/MODEL 64 Pro
Date: 7/28/2003
Version: 4.5.2.3

New Driver:
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 MODEL 64/MODEL 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
Date: 4/7/2004
Version: 5.6.7.3

Driver file from NVIDIA:
78.01_winxp2k_english_whql.exe
naltak

Post by naltak »

Hello folks, I had this same problem. I ignored all the suggestions to update the drivers and just tried changing the theme as a few others suggested. The Whitehart TB and the crossover theme worked for me. My problem is solved.
_Hiro_

Post by _Hiro_ »

Just installing a seperate theme (CrossOver) fixed the problem in the default theme.

Will report back if it recurrs.

[EDIT] Spoke too soon... It no longer garbles the list on start-up, but still does so when scrolling.