2.0 Installation Issues

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

2.0 Installation Issues

Post by Daifne »

1. There is an issue with installing the new version if you have a Logitech webcam. The error may be this:
"Error opening file for writing: r\n\r\nmozMapi32.dll\r\n\r\nClick Retry to try again, or\r\nCancel to stop the installation."

If you get this, disable the webcam software and try the install again. This should let the install complete.

2. If you end up with two or more toolbars after you install, and you have the McAfee toolbar, first turn off the McAfee toolbar. Then uninstall Thunderbird, delete the Mozilla Thunderbird folder in Program Files, reboot and reinstall.

3. If you end up with strange toolbars with duplicate buttons, first try switching to the default theme. There are some major changes with themes in 2.0 which make many older themes incompatible.

4. Some people have seen overlapping subjects in the message list pane. If this is your issue, first try switching to the default theme if you are using something else.

If that doesn't do it, Uninstall, delete the Mozilla Thunderbird program directory (in Program Files on Windows), reboot and reinstall. Because your email and other data is stored elsewhere, it will not be touched by doing this.

And if that doesn't, check for updated video card drivers.

Moderators: Feel free to edit this as necessary. I will be adding to it as needed.
Last edited by Daifne on April 25th, 2007, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThommyMan

Post by ThommyMan »

I've got the same error also while trying to install mozilla Thunderbird
Thanx,

The Management
ThommyMan

Post by ThommyMan »

Daifne wrote:1. There is an issue with installing the new version if you have a Logitech webcam. The error may be this:
"Error opening file for writing: r\n\r\nmozMapi32.dll\r\n\r\nClick Retry to try again, or\r\nCancel to stop the installation."

If you get this, disable the webcam software and try the install again. This should let the install complete.

2. If you end up with two or more toolbars after you install, and you have the McAfee toolbar, first turn off the McAfee toolbar. Then uninstall Thunderbird, delete the Mozilla Thunderbird folder in Program Files, reboot and reinstall.

3. If you end up with strange toolbars with duplicate buttons, first try switching to the default theme. There are some major changes with themes in 2.0 which make many older themes incompatible.

Moderators: Feel free to edit this as necessary. I will be adding to it as needed.
There is an option to get rid of this message and install the new version!

ThommyMan wrote:I've got the same error also while trying to install mozilla Thunderbird

1. Uninstall all previous versions
2. Reboot your machine
3. After Reboot go to the install directory and Delete all files of Mozilla Thunderbird
4. Reboot your machine (not realy nessacery but recomended)
5. Install the new version of thunderbird

NOTICE! Do NOT delete your Data files they will be recognized when you installed the new version!
I've did the steps above and it works fine for me!

The problem is that the "nmozMapi32.dll" is automaticly loaded when you start your machine!
Thanx,

The Management
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Edit 04/24/07: AMO on Mozilla finally has the instructions back on the pages.

Since the folks at Mozilla took this off the extension and theme pages, I will post it here.

Extension and Theme Install Instructions for Thunderbird Users:

(1) Right-Click the link for the extension or theme download and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the file to your hard disk.
(2) In Thunderbird, open the extension or theme manager (Tools Menu/Extensions or Themes)
(3) Click the Install button, and locate and select the file you downloaded and click "OK"
(4) Close and reopen Thunderbird to finish the install
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

This thread used to be a locked sticky thread. I've replaced it with another that points to
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_2 ... ion_issues
txannie

Post by txannie »

I am getting the "error opening file for writing..." message when trying to update Thunderbird from 2.0.0.9 to 2.0.0.12. I disabled my Logitech webcam and restarted my computer, and it still happens. Worse, apparently the installer was able to remove my old version but can't install the new one, so I have no Thunderbird email at all!! Help!!!