[Ext] Speed Dial 0.1 : 4-15-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Joseprio: I went back and tried to look in the SDThumbs directory. As dave, I couldn't access it. As root, I accessed the directory and it is empty. Dunno if that affects anything, but thought I'd add the info.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

dpeirce wrote:Joseprio: I went back and tried to look in the SDThumbs directory. As dave, I couldn't access it. As root, I accessed the directory and it is empty. Dunno if that affects anything, but thought I'd add the info.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

I just uploaded a new version of Speed Dial on Showcase's website. Could you try to upgrade Speed Dial, remove that SDThumbs directory, restart, and see if it works?

Get that new version here (in the "Other downloads" section, just under "SeaMonkey Showcase").
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

joseprio wrote:
dpeirce wrote:Joseprio: I went back and tried to look in the SDThumbs directory. As dave, I couldn't access it. As root, I accessed the directory and it is empty. Dunno if that affects anything, but thought I'd add the info.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

I just uploaded a new version of Speed Dial on Showcase's website. Could you try to upgrade Speed Dial, remove that SDThumbs directory, restart, and see if it works?

Get that new version here (in the "Other downloads" section, just under "SeaMonkey Showcase").

By the way...

this new version adds the following:
  • Thumbnail images are not reloaded every time the window size changes.
  • URL bar is focused and cleared when Speed Dial is loaded.
  • Direct access to Speed Dials using Ctrl+number (this overrides the default Firefox behavior, and can be disabled).
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

No joy. I downloaded version 0.2, restarted Firefox, and I had version 0.2. Then I deleted the SDThumbs directory and restarted Firefox; clicked the icon and got blank boxes again. But Firefox didn't create a SDThumbs directory, so I created it with privaleges for the world; restarted Firefox, blank boxes. The ctrl+# feature works, though, and the URL bar looks the same as before (good).

????

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Extaliones

Post by Extaliones »

joseprio wrote:By the way...

this new version adds the following:
  • Thumbnail images are not reloaded every time the window size changes.
  • URL bar is focused and cleared when Speed Dial is loaded.
  • Direct access to Speed Dials using Ctrl+number (this overrides the default Firefox behavior, and can be disabled).

Thnx for fast update :)
Now it's perfect :D
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

dpeirce wrote:No joy. I downloaded version 0.2, restarted Firefox, and I had version 0.2. Then I deleted the SDThumbs directory and restarted Firefox; clicked the icon and got blank boxes again. But Firefox didn't create a SDThumbs directory, so I created it with privaleges for the world; restarted Firefox, blank boxes. The ctrl+# feature works, though, and the URL bar looks the same as before (good).

????

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

That folder is created when setting a speed dial... Also, thumbnails are only saved when a website is assigned to a speed dial...

Could you delete that folder again, and reassing a website to a speed dial?
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Deleted duplicated message
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Bingo!! ^_^.

All the pieces were there, it was just a matter of getting everything in the proper order. I shall enjoy using Speed Dial! Thank you for making it, and I look forward to your solving the problem of automatically updating the previews.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

dpeirce wrote:Bingo!! ^_^.

All the pieces were there, it was just a matter of getting everything in the proper order. I shall enjoy using Speed Dial! Thank you for making it, and I look forward to your solving the problem of automatically updating the previews.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

So, in the end it was a permissions problem, right? You're using the "SDThumbs" folder created by Speed Dial?

I'm glad that your problem is solved. I'll do my best on the automatic updates, but can't promise anything :(
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Not exactly a permissions problem, as it works fine now with the original permissions. It was more of a problem with timing: The folder had to be absent when Firefox started up so that Firefox could write it when it assigned a page to the Speed Dial. Then Firefox could write the folder and the file in the folder, and then the new files as I reassigned the other Speed Dial boxes. If it's not done in that sequence it doesn't work.

I got into a problem like that once before trying to add some things to the config file for a Dillo browser; but Dillo kept overwriting the new file with the old info. I finally figured out I had to have Dillo OFF when I made the changes, so Dillo could import them when it opened, and wouldn't overwrite them when it closed again. That's similar to the mistiming I had with Speed Dial.

So I THINK someone using Linux who now downloads Speed Dial will automatically do things in the correct sequence and won't have the problem I had.

And, on the updated previews, Opera solved it so there *IS* an answer out there :^>.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

OK, JosePrio, a little bit more (for Linux users): It was a permissions problem after all.

File ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx/SDThumbs: Change owner/group to root/root, and give all permissions. Dunno why, but if you leave this directory in your own user name/group, even if you give all permissions, Firefox can't enter to create the needed .png files.

Test: In console do 'cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx/SDThumbs'. If you get "permission denied", you'll have to change owner/group.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

dpeirce wrote:OK, JosePrio, a little bit more (for Linux users): It was a permissions problem after all.

File ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx/SDThumbs: Change owner/group to root/root, and give all permissions. Dunno why, but if you leave this directory in your own user name/group, even if you give all permissions, Firefox can't enter to create the needed .png files.

Test: In console do 'cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx/SDThumbs'. If you get "permission denied", you'll have to change owner/group.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

I think this is already solved in the version that can be found in my website... when creating the file, I can set the permissions. It was 644 before, but I changed it to 755, so now I think it should work...
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

I just posted a new version at Showcase download site. The only change is that the thumbnails can be opened in a new tab by using the middle mouse button.
Old ehbien

Post by Old ehbien »

Just downloaded the new version and thumbnails do not open (at all) on middle click in the speeddial tab. Or have I misunderstood your post??

Tried on work and home comps, both Windows XP SP2, FF2.0.0.3
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

ukegirlie wrote:Just downloaded the new version and thumbnails do not open (at all) on middle click in the speeddial tab. Or have I misunderstood your post??

Tried on work and home comps, both Windows XP SP2, FF2.0.0.3

I just tried it, and it seems to be working... if you middle click in a thumbnail, that thumbnail's assigned website should open in a separate tab (as if it was a link). Let me know if it's not working properly for you...