Merging 2 Thunderbird profiles

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
geekmachine

Merging 2 Thunderbird profiles

Post by geekmachine »

Hi,

I have 2 profiles, one profile is from an old machine that I have carried across and the other is the one I use on my laptop. I would like to merge both profiles into one account by simply creating the inbox from the profile as a folder in the new profile.

Any advise on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you use the mboximport extension to import any folders you want, and then use Thunderbird commands (drag and drop etc.) to merge the contents of the folders.

Its recommended that you don't store a lot of messages in the inbox folder (normally you want to keep it empty, and store messages in other folders) as frequently deleting messages in a folder with a lot of messages greatly increases your chance of a corrupted folder.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

geekmachine

Post by geekmachine »

Thanks will give it a bash.

I do keep my inbox empty and filter everything into folders that archive every 45 days but before I thought about moving everything to one machine I downloaded the new contents of my server inbox to the old machine and purged the mail on the server. If I hadn't done this I wouldn't have to worry about merging the inboxes to filter them but because I have I needed to find a solution to this.

Thanks for the advise, I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
geekmachine

Post by geekmachine »

Wow that was quick. I just decided to try it just now and it worked straight away.

Excellent stuff; thanks again for the advise.