SpamAssassin headers not acted on

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
randomsf

SpamAssassin headers not acted on

Post by randomsf »

Running TBird 2.0. In my main account, I have Junk Settings set to trust headers from SpamAssassin. However, nothing is ever acted upon. Just now I got another email with

Code: Select all

[SpamAssassin 14.4]
as the first part of the Subject line, but there it sits in the Inbox.

Does this feature work? If so, what do I need to do to activate it?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you just need to check the checkbox for tools -> account settings -> junk settings -> "trust junk mail headers set by". However, not every implementation of SpamAssassin sets the same headers or modifies the subject the same way. For example, www.fastmail.fm added a {SPAM #####} prefix to a messages subject

{SPAM #####} SPECIAL PHARMACY DISCOUNT, you pay & we ship, no question asked, established by reputable Canadian Doctor

and added the following headers:

X-Spam: high
X-Spam-score: 25.2
X-Spam-hits: BAYES_99 3.5, HTML_50_60 0.134, HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, MIME_HTML_ONLY 0.001,
RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 0.5, RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 1.5,
RAZOR2_CHECK 0.5, RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 2.5, URIBL_BLACK 3,
URIBL_JP_SURBL 4.087, URIBL_OB_SURBL 3.008, URIBL_SC_SURBL 4.498,
WPBL_RBL 2
X-Spam-source: IP='87.245.133.8', Country='RU', FromHeader='net', MailFrom='net'

I don't know what Thunderbirds junk mail control is looking for. On the other hand I think there is no way to change what SpamPal modifies, so that probably avoids the issue.

I don't use the junk mail controls. However, I could use a message filter that tests whether X-Spam: contains high and set the junk status if it does. That would eventually train the junk mail controls. Its harder if you just have a numeric score to test.

I suggest you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ . They need to document what headers and what prefix in the subject Thunderbird looks for when it trusts SpamAssassin. If you do that please post the URL for the bug report.
randomsf

Post by randomsf »

tanstaafl wrote:I think you just need to check the checkbox for tools -> account settings -> junk settings -> "trust junk mail headers set by". However, not every implementation of SpamAssassin sets the same headers or modifies the subject the same way.

It's this last part that I am hoping to understand better. If I new exactly what Thunderbird is looking for I could set SpamAssassin to put that in the header (or Subject).

In the meantime, I have created a Message Filter to accomplish the same thing.