[Ext] Brief 1.1 - feed reading extension

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Aus
Hm.. strange... For me sidebar icon opens normal options dialog.
What's your Brief's version?
Are there any errors in console?
Aus

Post by Aus »

Merlyel:

Latest version, re-downloaded just a few days ago. Nothing in the error console.
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Aus wrote:Merlyel:

Latest version, re-downloaded just a few days ago. Nothing in the error console.

You're on Linux, aren't you?
Aus

Post by Aus »

I'm actually on XP
beuz

Post by beuz »

Hello,

First i would like to thanks you for your great extension, but i 've got a probleme

i don't know why but i couldn't have autoupdate working anymore ! i haven't change option or something else !

Please help me !

Edit: Sometime it's working, sometime no autoupdate ? i don't know why ?
Last edited by beuz on April 25th, 2007, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aus

Post by Aus »

Here's a curiosity, the options from the sidebar work on the latest nightly 3a4 trunk builds, but not in the 2.0.0.4pre builds.
smacd75

Post by smacd75 »

Do entries have to be read before they are purged from the database? I specify that I only want to store 30 entries per feed but I end up with more than 30 unread articles???
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

beuz wrote:Hello,

First i would like to thanks you for your great extension, but i 've got a probleme

i don't know why but i couldn't have autoupdate working anymore ! i haven't change option or something else !

Please help me !

Edit: Sometime it's working, sometime no autoupdate ? i don't know why ?

You'll have to describe what exactly is happening that makes you think that it doesn't work. If you hover over the status icon, there's a tooltip that says when the feeds were updated. Next time you think that the autoupdate doesn't work, check the tooltip to see for sure.

smacd75 wrote:Do entries have to be read before they are purged from the database? I specify that I only want to store 30 entries per feed but I end up with more than 30 unread articles???

It deletes the unread entries. Only the starred entries are excluded from purging, so there is difference between read and unread entries in this respect.
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

YAFRTWMTLWFREAVHO (Yet Another Feature Request That Will Make The Light-Weight Feed Reading Extension A Very Heavy One :P)

It would be great to have the number of new entries indicated for the folders... maybe not with bold characters, but at least the number of new entries when there are some (as I have a lot of live bookmarks in folders and I keep some closed so that it is not too much messy).

Thanks again for your great extension ! ;)
Nicolas
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

nico(at)nc wrote:YAFRTWMTLWFREAVHO (Yet Another Feature Request That Will Make The Light-Weight Feed Reading Extension A Very Heavy One :P)

It would be great to have the number of new entries indicated for the folders... maybe not with bold characters, but at least the number of new entries when there are some (as I have a lot of live bookmarks in folders and I keep some closed so that it is not too much messy).

As a matter of fact, I have already added it and it'll be in the next version.. :)
nico(at)nc

Post by nico(at)nc »

Ancestor wrote:
nico(at)nc wrote:YAFRTWMTLWFREAVHO (Yet Another Feature Request That Will Make The Light-Weight Feed Reading Extension A Very Heavy One :P)

As a matter of fact, I have already added it and it'll be in the next version.. :)

Great ! :)
Nicolas
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Ancestor
About context menu for right click... Can you add "options" and "disable checking" in there? :)
Ancestor

Post by Ancestor »

Merlyel wrote:Ancestor
About context menu for right click... Can you add "options" and "disable checking" in there? :)

Can you please explain the use-case for this?

FWIW, I am going to add a Properties window for each feed, yeah. I don't know what will go in there yet but I'm happy to listen to suggestions.
Merlyel

Post by Merlyel »

Ancestor
"Disable checking": for example, I've got Portable firefox with Brief. Sometimes I start it at places with quite expensive Internet, so I need to turn the checking off. For that I need to open Brief tab or go through Tools-> Addons. Too far :)
"Options" - this setting is some sort of replacement for "Disable checking", so I think thee's need for only one of them. But maybe some can say use-case for that too :)
brightbyte

Item author

Post by brightbyte »

First of all, thank you for this great extension. I tried Sage and WizzRSS first, the looked good, but didn't quite cut it. This one is what I was looking for.

I am missing just one thing: The author name for each feed item. This is especially useful with aggregated feeds (like planet feed) - right now I have a hard time seeing who wrote what. It could be shown in the item header along the feed name, or along the date. It should be trivial to add (one of these days I'll look into writing FF extensions).

Perhaps this should be an option, because for people who primarily use singe-author feeds, this information would be redundant. Anyway, it would be really nice if it could be added.