Migrating to new computer, Profile Chrome folder

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
R.N. Folsom

Migrating to new computer, Profile Chrome folder

Post by R.N. Folsom »

As detailed in an earlier message today, "Migrating to a new computer, Chrome.rdf,"
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

I have successfully migrated my SeaMonkey 1.08 Browser and Email, and settings for both, to a new-to-me computer, using the recommendations in "Migrating settings to a new profile," at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_set ... ew_profile.

Both computers use Windows 2000 Sp4.

I clean installed SeaMonkey on the new computer, so I did not copy the old computer's prefs.js file or its Chrome folder to the new computer. Instead, a new Chrome folder was created by SeaMonkey (either when I installed it or when I first opened it), and the new prefs.js file was created as I set my prefences in Edit | Preferences, and in Mail and Newsgroups at Edit | Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings.

[I am talking about the Chrome folder in my Profile folder (after the randomcharacter.slt file), not the Chrome folder in the SeaMonkey installation folder, C:\Program Files\Mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\chrome.]

On the both the new and old computers, the profile chrome folder contains a chrome.rdf file (see my earlier message, cited above). But on the new computer, the profile chrome folder contains only a chrome.rdf file. On the old computer, the profile chrome folder contains also
overlay.rdf
stylesheets.rdf
userchrome_example.css
usercontent_example.css

Based on creation dates, SeaMonkey apparently created several of these files more than a year ago.

Question: Why didn't SeaMonkey create these files also on the new computer?

Thanks for any information about this profile chrome folder.

Roger Folsom
therube

Post by therube »

chrome.rdf stores information on your installed extensions & themes.

As you install either, the size of chrome.rdf grows.

Deleting (or not copying over an existing) chrome.rdf effectively removes all extensions/themes from your Profile. It removes them by breaking the link that chrome.rdf provided. The physical files will remain.

Q: How do I uninstall extensions?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

therube:

I got majorly distracted when my separate post on a related subject (apparently too closely related, although different) was locked, and never got back to this thread.

So please accept my apologies for this very tardy reply. But I do appreciate your response, which did answer my questions.

Thank you.

Roger Folsom