Firefox reads PNG pictures as GIF and doesn't display them

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
TittiinNY

Firefox reads PNG pictures as GIF and doesn't display them

Post by TittiinNY »

I've updated to 2.0.0.3 and since then when I try to load a page with a PNG image, I can't see the PNG image.

I've checked the MIMEs and there is the right association with Quicktime.

If I go to Page Info and click on the link for that png picture, it tells me that it's a GIF picture with dimension of 1px by 1px, and that explains why I can't see it, but I haven't figured out how to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.
old LoudNoise

Post by old LoudNoise »

Why are PNGs associated with Quicktime?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Try a new profile and test it before you migrate or re-install anything on it

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
And
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_set ... ew_profile
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

LoudNoise wrote:Why are PNGs associated with Quicktime?

Good question
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
TittiinNY

Post by TittiinNY »

LoudNoise wrote:Why are PNGs associated with Quicktime?

It seems that it's the default association in Firefox. I reset all the plugs in according to the instruction and that's what it shows as default.
old LoudNoise

Post by old LoudNoise »

It seems that it's the default association in Firefox. I reset all the plugs in according to the instruction and that's what it shows as default.

Doubtful. Assuming you don't have much time invested in your profile I would suggest you follow malliz's links.
TittiinNY

Post by TittiinNY »

LoudNoise wrote:

Doubtful. Assuming you don't have much time invested in your profile I would suggest you follow malliz's links.

I've followed the instruction and created a brand new profile, but I have the same problem.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

"Terry Pratchett"
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

It does not matter what application is associated with .png images, or .gif or .jpg. Firefox should display them anyway. In Windows, I have those images associated with Irfanview, and in MacOS, with JView.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Page where this happens ?
TittiinNY

Post by TittiinNY »

Littlemutt wrote:Page where this happens ?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8342/banner2wt4.png
This would be one, but there are others.

On top of the page in the description area I get
banner2wt4.png (GIF Image, 1x1 pixels) - Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

Close Firefox, go to the Quicktime MIME settings and uncheck PNG Image, click OK. Start Firefox and clear the cache:
Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Clear Now

Firefox can view png images without the need of a plugin.

That image does display fine for me.

Post by Guest »

Anonymosity wrote:It does not matter what application is associated with .png images, or .gif or .jpg. Firefox should display them anyway. In Windows, I have those images associated with Irfanview, and in MacOS, with JView.

Quicktime MIME settings are different than file associations. If PNG is enabled in the QT browser settings, it could interfere with Firefox's native PNG support.
TittiinNY

Post by TittiinNY »

Anonymous wrote:Close Firefox, go to the Quicktime MIME settings and uncheck PNG Image, click OK. Start Firefox and clear the cache:
Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Clear Now

Firefox can view png images without the need of a plugin.

That image does display fine for me.

I did that and it didn't work.

I'm so ready to give up and just accept that I can't see some pictures. lol

Post by Guest »

Enter about:plugins in the address bar. See if PNG is listed under any of the Quicktime plugins. If it is, then the plugin is still in the Firefox plugin folder. Follow the steps here to remove those and then reset your MIME settings, ensuring that PNG is not enabled.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Quicktime#Res ... er_plugins

Also, if PNG is still listed in your Firefox file types options (manage), remove that association.