Using Adblock vs Adblock Plus

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Trel

Using Adblock vs Adblock Plus

Post by Trel »

I have never started using Adblock plus, so I was wondering what the benifits over normal adblock were.
A big question is, if I do not wish to use adblock plus' extra features, can I still use it like normal adblock (and still use my current filters?)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Adblock is a wandering zombie. It hadn't been updated for years, then suddenly some updates were given, and now no updates again for at least a year.

Adblock Plus is updated regularly, and by the driving force behind the original Adblock, even. He's constantly seeking to improve the code like a real programmer. You can use it just like Adblock, and it also uses regexp for its filters, so they are compatible.
farFox

Post by farFox »

Trel

Post by Trel »

BenoitRen wrote:Adblock is a wandering zombie. It hadn't been updated for years, then suddenly some updates were given, and now no updates again for at least a year.

Adblock Plus is updated regularly, and by the driving force behind the original Adblock, even. He's constantly seeking to improve the code like a real programmer. You can use it just like Adblock, and it also uses regexp for its filters, so they are compatible.

I installed it to a different profile, and I found that just like when I tried it before, I cannot use it like adblock. Clicking it in the status bar does not give me a list of what's on the page and allow me to block it like I do in adblock. I have to right click the icon and select an option to intitate that method of blocking ads.

Either way, I'll mess with it in my test profile a little and see if I can't get used to it.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Yes, that's the one difference that I wasn't sure if I should mention. I had the same experience as you. It takes some getting used to.
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

Trel
Clicking it in the status bar does not give me a list of what's on the page

about:config
extensions.adblockplus.defaultstatusbaraction - 1

Clicking it in the status bar gives a list of blockable items on the page!
Cyberfox

Post by Cyberfox »

I love Adblock Plus!
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

Thanks a bunch, vladmir. I have only used Adblock Plus but have read about this feature in the original Adblock extension. Thanks again...

@Cyberfox - me, too. :)
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit