Is there some way to know when a message is downloaded?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
rvyhmeister

Is there some way to know when a message is downloaded?

Post by rvyhmeister »

I'm trying to migrate some people from Outlook/Outlook Express. They're adamant that they want to have the same kind of indication that the message has been downloaded... Problem is that they travel a lot internationally on bad links and often has to redo the "get mail" to get all the mail due to timeouts, etc... And then works offline...

Thanks.
doni49

Post by doni49 »

I'm not exactly sure of the Q.
Don
rvyhmeister

Post by rvyhmeister »

Sorry, maybe should have put more information in the earlier message.

The point is in both Outlook Express and Outlook there is an icon which clearly indicates whether any message has been downloaded from an IMAP server. By default download only headers) and you can choose to mark one or more messages for download next time... Next time you go online, you can get those you had marked, without further user intervention. Once downloaded the icon changes (from a half-envelope to a full envelope)... so you can download only certain messages for off-line use, without having to mark the whole folder.

I know this may seem trivial, but for those of us who have bandwidth challenges in the developing world and user IMAP (for all the known good reasons)... It's particularly important when machines must be left unattended to download the messages (I've often gotten 1-2 KBps download speeds...)
doni49

Post by doni49 »

That makes more sense.

Have you looked through the extensions?

There a lot of REALLY useful ones available. Maybe one of them will be just what you need.

There have been several times in which I thought TB was lacking a certain feature and I found that someone else saw the same thing and wrote an extension to add it.

Good luck.
Don
rvyhmeister

Post by rvyhmeister »

I have looked through the extensions... but cannot find any such... I'm sure the data is somewhere in the datastore... but no way to show it :-(