Is this error message due to Firefox or Norton or ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
salin

Is this error message due to Firefox or Norton or ?

Post by salin »

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I get this error message on just about every other click. It will happen when opening Firefox and if I click "Retry" it will open. The next time I click anything the message will come back. I can click reload and it will be fine. This is getting real old. I have Norton set to accept Firefox.

XP PRO, SP-2, NIS 2007
XP Pro/Core 2 Duo T7200/SP2/2.0GHz/1GB Ram
Old DPMR

Post by Old DPMR »

First I would try safe mode to rule out any Firefox add on errors.

It does seam to be a problem with permissions for Firefox. Fire walls or spy ware maybe.

Give this a read maybe you missed something.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It's a Firefox message. It means there's something wrong with your network connection or with your firewall. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

From your description, I think you probably have a domain-name server problem. This is a problem with your Internet service.

<b>EDIT: Apparently these "connection reset" messages have nothing to do with a domain-name-service (DNS) problem. For user azguy the problem was traced to ad blocking by a security program.</b> Read messages here and here.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on May 24th, 2007, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
salin

Post by salin »

You think it's the firewall even though I have it set to accept the ISP? Like right now I could click one of my tabs and it will go right to the site, and then if I click a link within that site I might get the error. Or possibly just the opposite, I can get the error when going to a tab or a different site.

I guess the reason I don't believe it's the firewall is this take place sporadically. Sometimes yes, sometimes no..................why would it allow one time and not another?

Help!!!
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

No, I don't think it's your firewall. A firewall will block ALL Web sites ALL the time. I think it is a problem with your Internet service.

You can try starting Firefox in safe mode just on the remote chance that it is caused by an extension. It has the advantage that it's easy to check, but the disadvantage that that's not the problem.

Unfortunately, I think you will have to get into troubleshooting your DNS server. Go to the link I gave you and read what it says about DNS. I suggest you download and try Trolly's tool. If you go to Web sites you have not visited before, you will probably have a hard time getting the IP address.

Connection Reset

Post by Guest »

Ever since upgrading to Firefox 2.03 I have been getting lots of "Connection Reset" messages. The web page will flash on the screen and then will disappear and the "Connection Reset" message will appear. If I click on try again it will usually connect the second time. I have tried two different routers, two different computers (Including my new laptop) removed my software firewall and tried Firefox in safe mode. All to no avail. Internet Explorer works on the same web sites. This is unfortunate because I really like firefox and I can hardly tolerate Internet Explorer.

I have had the problem on too many websites to count but the dreaded "connection reset" seems to come up more often on wsj.com and google cached websites.

Any ideas?

I have been searching this forum and have noticed lots of others having the same problem. The only solution that I have seen posted in disabling tls 1.0. Which does not seem like a good idea.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Guest,
I'm not going to answer any more queries from unidentified guests, because if there is more than one person it's too hard to keep them straight. You don't need to register, but please use some sort of nickname and try again. Thanks.
azguy

Post by azguy »

Ever since upgrading to Firefox 2.03 I have been getting lots of "Connection Reset" messages. The web page will flash on the screen and then will disappear and the "Connection Reset" message will appear. If I click on try again it will usually connect the second time. I have tried two different routers, three different computers (Including two fresh installs - no mozilla software on system before installing 2.03). Removed my software firewall (Norton Internet Security 2007, Windows XP firewall) and tried Firefox in safe mode. All to no avail. Internet Explorer works on the same web sites. This is unfortunate because I really like firefox and I can hardly tolerate Internet Explorer.

I have had the problem on too many websites to count but the dreaded "connection reset" seems to come up more often on www.wsj.com, www.pinnaclesys.com and google cached websites.

P.S. Several of my clients are having the same problem since upgrading to Firefox 2.03 - problems on both Vista and XP systems.

Any ideas?

I have been searching this forum and have noticed lots of others having the same problem. The only solution that I have seen posted in disabling tls 1.0. Which does not seem like a good idea.

AZGuy
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Azguy,
Does it really say "connection reset"? Please post the exact error message. If I recall correctly, "connection reset" means essentially that the Web site doesn't want to talk to you. So please post the WHOLE MESSAGE.

But almost everything else sounds very much like a DNS problem, which has nothing to do with a connection reset. It could be that I don't remember correctly what those error messages say, but it sounds fishy to me. I even had a little DNS failure the other day on my otherwise excellent service.

Assuming it's a DNS problem:
1. Search the Knowledge Base for "Error loading Web site"
2. Look the article over, paying particular attention to the section on DNS problems.
3. Download Trolly's Wdnslookup program. At a time when you are having problems, try it on several Web sites <i>that you have not opened before</i>. If I am correct, your DN service will look pretty terrible, and it will time out a few times.

Try that, but on the other hand, there is also a problem with this theory. If it really has a problem with Google cached sites, I have to wonder. Anyway, report back so we will know either way.
salin

Post by salin »

The connection was reset

Vanilla, Here is the exact message as copied and pasted.

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

moments.

connection.

VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, that is most probably the DNS problem that I described. (I forgot that that error message says "the connection ... was reset".) I strongly suggest that you get Trolly's tool (it's a small program, and it makes a good utility besides). What that will probably show is that you need to get a better DNS server. Assuming that's the case, that's ideally something you ISP should solve. If not, there are other suggestions for replacing it on your own.
RJARRRPCGP

Re: Is this error message due to Firefox or Norton or ?

Post by RJARRRPCGP »

salin wrote:The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

moments.

connection.

I get this error message on just about every other click. It will happen when opening Firefox and if I click "Retry" it will open. The next time I click anything the message will come back. I can click reload and it will be fine. This is getting real old. I have Norton set to accept Firefox.

XP PRO, SP-2, NIS 2007

That error message almost always means that you were disconnected from the internet.
The modem likely is losing the connection briefly and randomly.
That error message *possibly* means that it's time to call the ISP. :(
zuzugirl

Post by zuzugirl »

I posted earlier, after reading these, some I undertand some i don't, but it happens on my laptop with XP running with firefox. I traveled to Atlanta recently, it did it at the hotel and also a friends house using their internet connection. Just a note to help solve this issue. I'm sick of it. I'm considering removing firefox because of the annoyance.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Hmmm. Gotta admit, connection reset. RJARRRPCGP is right. Cancel everything I said about DNS.

Connection reset is connection reset. Either the site hung up on you, or you lost the connection. Since it happens with lots of sites, I vote for the latter. And I doubt if Fx has anything to do with it.

zuzugirl,
From your very brief description here and in the other thread, it sounds like your problem happens wherever you encounter a bad phone line (or maybe a bad connection to your computer). Telephone lines just sometimes drop connection. It used to happen to me until they evicted the mice that were living in that nice cozy box and eating the phone lines.
zuzugirl

Post by zuzugirl »

Vanilla. I work off broadband broadband here at my home office and wireless. I was using wireless in Atlanta in both instances. No phone lines. Only change from this end, is i had Comcast add VOIP here. The phone rings less than 1x per day and i don't use it for calls. That is the only change I can think of. Comcast is my cable provide