Lightning - email calendar reminders

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
AmiScorp

Post by AmiScorp »

The current nightlies of Lightning 0.5 can accept and send calendar invites. The user interface is also enhanced over 0.3.1. It does not have as many of the planned 0.5 features which have been cut back quite a bit and postponed til 0.7, but the differences between 0.3.1 and 0.5 will be significant nonetheless. I've been using the 0.5 nightlies for months. If you want reminders of birthdays there is now a very nice extension for TB that also integrates very nicely with TB and Lightning to send reminders of birthdays and also adds the birthday info to your addressbook.
mottchen

Post by mottchen »

It doesn't help me that you're saying they are working on it. What good is a calendar if you can't send e-mail reminders? I really don't see the point.
EddieJohnson

Post by EddieJohnson »

At this point in time, Lightning/Sunbird are probably already far superior to the old Calendar extension.

Sorry, but in my experience its not even close. We're still running Mozilla 1.7.13 plus Calendar 2005011112 because none of the replacements can match the featureset, primarily alarm mailing. From my point of view, once the project fragmented into SB, TB, and FF targets, the forward progress stopped and they haven't even caught up with the featureset they had 2.5 years ago. I actually just visited this site to check up on problems with TB1.5.0.10+Lightning 0.3. Beyond alarms my complaints are:
- it never remembers the display mode, always defaulting back to week view
- In the calendar list the calendars are not color coded as in Moz, you have to do a Properties to see what color they are. We use ~5 active calendars and its nice to see the "color key" in the sidebar.
- The lost list of imminent events mentioned upthread by finnmeister. It actually exists in the sidebar of TB+Cal but is so small as to be worthless. In Moz you could customize the columns displayed.
- Mozilla allowed copy/paste of alarms which also gave you plaintext access, TB plugin doesn't.
Klint

Post by Klint »

I've been using TB2+LG 0.5 for 2 months now, in a big company where everybody else is using Outlook ! And it works like a charm. In addition, I've connected Lightning to a Google calendar that sends reminder via SMS ! Better than emails.
bvdbos

Post by bvdbos »

EddieJohnson wrote:We're still running Mozilla 1.7.13 plus Calendar 2005011112 because none of the replacements can match the featureset, primarily alarm mailing.
I actually just visited this site to check up on problems with TB1.5.0.10+Lightning 0.3. Beyond alarms my complaints are:
- it never remembers the display mode, always defaulting back to week view
- In the calendar list the calendars are not color coded as in Moz, you have to do a Properties to see what color they are. We use ~5 active calendars and its nice to see the "color key" in the sidebar.
- The lost list of imminent events mentioned upthread by finnmeister. It actually exists in the sidebar of TB+Cal but is so small as to be worthless. In Moz you could customize the columns displayed.
- Mozilla allowed copy/paste of alarms which also gave you plaintext access, TB plugin doesn't.

As you probably have read 0.5 will be out soon. However not all of your issues are resolved but:
email alarms: bug 360799 was opened for this. This is on the roadmap for version 1.0.
display mode: The view is remembered while TB stays open on windows, for mac there's bug 369391
colors: this works in 0.5 already
eventlist: bug 369391 has unifinder for lightning and will probably be fixed after 0.5 is released.
multiple alarms: bug 353492 was filed and I remember we have talked about this already on irc or in another bug, I strongly disagree with the manual editing though, this will likely cause a lot of problems.
EddieJohnson

Re: Lightning - email calendar reminders

Post by EddieJohnson »

Well, here we are more than 2 years later and I'm still running Mozilla 1.7.13 plus Calendar 2005011112 because none of the replacements can offer alarm mailing. Its obvious here and on bugzilla that this is a huge dealbreaker for a lot of people but its getting zero attention.

Lots of shiny new chrome and some exciting games of "Rearrange the Preferences Dialog" though.

And in the time since my last post I think ground has been lost because we now have Sunbird's config files in a non plaintext format that makes mass configuration and deployment a nightmare. If I was a little more paranoid I'd think MS had infiltrated and co-opted the development process.
intanet

Post by intanet »

And, here we are 10 years later and still, no solution. I have been asking this question too but, it is not getting answered on my post either. For YEARS, Lightning add on DID send me email reminders for events I created in the Lightning add on. It was great. Then, about 1 year ago (I'm using version 4.0.5.2), it stopped sending email reminders. The only email reminders I am getting are for old events that have long been deleted. Phantom reminders as I call them. But no email reminders for newly created events. Was it an update to the add on that removed this feature. Some posters deny that these email reminders ever existed but they DID. And then they stopped. Why won't someone just tell us they are no longer available if there is no fix for this. Let us get on with our lives.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

So you are using a Google calendar and using Custom from the Reminder drop-down menu, clicking Add to add a reminder, creating a reminder under Reminder Details, then selecting Send an E-mail from the Chose a Reminder Action, and you can't configure the email reminder?

The calendar has to be a Network calendar for email reminders to be an option under Chose a Reminder Action.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5