Is this error message due to Firefox or Norton or ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

You can certainly lose a wireless connection. Wireless connections all? Those flake in and out.

I think the error message really tells you everything. You had a connection dropped. Firefox doesn't make or break connections, it just uses them. Anyway, since we know almost nothing about your setup, I think that's the problem. I can't rule out VOIP. I have no experience with it.
zuzugirl

Post by zuzugirl »

the mystery continues. I use trillian for my IM programs. when firefox disconnects, i lose my connections with AOL & MSN. NOT Yahoo though. Also, if I am listening to a radio program opened with firefox, that does not disconnect, it continues playing the program without interruption.

More confusing???
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Zuzugirl,
You really need to get ALL the pertinent facts together if you can IN ONE MESSAGE, and preferably post the information in your own thread. For a generic problem you'll get generic advice, and it could miss the mark. You can see that I couldn't even guess what kind of connection you have.

Here's some generic advice: For Firefox problems, try the Standard Diagnostic. For connection problems search the Knowledge Base for Error Loading Websites.
RJARRRPCGP

Post by RJARRRPCGP »

I got bad news, you may have a bad modem or buggy networking drivers. Sorry. :(

Also, the ethernet port may be bad. You may be required to disable the onboard ethernet in the BIOS setup and add an ethernet card or replace the ethernet card.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

@zuzugirl
You can post that info in your own thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=550441
It is difficult and confusing to have two problems at the same time in one thread.

(http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#2889125)
azguy

Connection Reset

Post by azguy »

Still working on solving this connection reset problem:

Here is the message I receive:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This error message can and will occur on every website that I frequent. It seems to occur more frequently at:
wsj.com (Wall Street Journal)
www.pinnaclesys.com (Pinnacle Systems)
www.nlm.nih.gov (National Institutes of Health)

Computer is a Dell Inspiron 9400
Wireless Card is a dell 1390 (Broadcom)
Router is Linksys wrt54g (latest firmware)

I have several clients that are reporting this same message. Internet Explorer seems to work when Firefox does not. (Although, I did get a cannot connect a couple of times with Internet Explorer 7 when Firefox was giving me this Connection Reset message).

I have tried two different routers (Linksys wrt 54G version 2 & version 5), Removing Norton Internet Security 2007, Turning off windows firewall, reinstalling wireless card drivers all to no avail.

Any ideas?

AZguy
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you get that error immediately or after some time (after 10 or 20 or more seconds)?
Do you see any messages in the status bar before it happens (connecting to or waiting for)?
azguy

Post by azguy »

The message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" appears almost immediately. If you click try again one or two times the page will generally load. Sometimes the page will appear for a split second on the screen then it will disappear and the message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" will appear. Very frustrating!

I really appreciate each and every idea! I would love to see this problem solved.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

azguy wrote:Sometimes the page will appear for a split second on the screen then it will disappear and the message "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" will appear.

So the page is loading, partly. I'll bet you're blocking something.
azguy

Post by azguy »

I wish I was blocking something! I have disabled every firewall (Windows, Norton), removed all security software and still have the same error message. Amazingly, Internet Explorer 7 works when Firefox will not. Bummer! (I am not going to give up just yet).

Clients are reporting the same problem.

(Things in Common)

- All use Cox cable
- All use Norton Internet Security 2007
- Everyone has a Broadcom wireless card (Dell 1390 or Lenovo wireless adapter)
- Everyone has a Linksys wrt54g router
- WPA encryption

(Things not in common)

(Dell Inspiron 6400 works fine with same configuration as above except it has an different version of Linksys wrt54g) (I have tried both version 2 and 5 on my computer - problem continues to exist)

(Clients with Norton Internet Security 2007 but not Cox do not appear to have problem)

(Clients with same configuration as above but Intel adapter do not seem to have the problem)

Problem seems to be related to either certain versions of Linksys wrt54g routers or possibly cox cable connections.

Please note problem does not occur with IE7 or with previous edition of Firefox.

Any Ideas?

AZguy
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, try a new profile. It will take you about a minute.

Start > Run > Firefox.exe -profilemanager

DON'T DELETE ANYTHING. DON'T make any changes in the new profile (except that you can turn off Java if you want -- but don't turn of JavaScript). Just switch to the new profile and tell us what happens.
azguy

Post by azguy »

Thanks for idea about creating a new profile VanillaMozilla. Great idea, unfortunately, it did not solve the "connection reset by server" problem. Rats!!! I have been checking in with clients to see who has the problem and who does not. I have been able to narrow the common factors down to two. All the computers that have the problem have a Dell wireless 1390 internal mini card (Broadcom based) or a broadcom based wireless chip on the Lenovo computers.

The other common factor is they are all using Cox cable. (I have a client with a Dell Inspiron 6400 & a 1390 internal mini wireless card but he does not use Cox. I intend to follow up with him later this week to see if he has had the dreaded "Connection reset by server" message.)

My guess for the moment is that the settings on the 1390 wireless card are somehow incompatible with Firefox 2.03. Everything however does work with IE7.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!!

AZguy
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

azguy wrote:My guess for the moment is that the settings on the 1390 wireless card are somehow incompatible with Firefox 2.03.

This doesn't seem likely. You either have an Internet connection or you don't. One Internet connection is the same as any other, except possibly for quality of connection.

The new profile rules out any problem due to AdBlock or some other Firefox add-on, or to any other problem with your Firefox setup. The fact that IE works rules out blocking on the basis of IP address. That leaves (1) security software, or (2) an intermittent connection, and (3) DNS problem. I'm not sure what else. Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on this at the moment.

Security software that's bundled with firewalls can cause strange problems. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls#Outpost_Firewall , for example. Security software can also be devilishly difficult to disable.

I vaguely remember something like this happening before. I think it's something to do with not being able to load content from a second site, like an ad or something.

It may also be worth checking the domain-name service after all. See this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website#DNS and try trolly's wdnslookup program to test it. (Make sure you check only sites that haven't been lookup up for at least a day or two. The second lookup is usually MUCH faster than the first, because domain-name servers usually cache for about a day.)

It often happens that IE appears to work simply because users try it second, whereas a second try with Fx would also succeed.

Sorry, these things are always a little tricky.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You could check the network settings: Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings
Is there only one connection?
azguy

Post by azguy »

Thanks for your suggestions. On the basis of the suggestions I did a bunch of research and have temporarily concluded that it was the Norton Add-on Pack that is causing the problem. Apparently, the add blocking component of Norton Add-On Pack version 1.1 is causing the "Connection reset by server" issues. Since disabling this feature I have not had the message. This is good and bad news. Now I have advertisements all over the screen but the dreaded "Connection Reset by Server" is gone! Yes!!! Now I will have to submit the problem to Symantec. I hope they prove to be as helpful as you all have been.

Thanks again.

Azguy