Places bookmarks have landed!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
v_thunder

Places bookmarks have landed!

Post by v_thunder »

Hello everyone,

The places team has been hard at work to get the bookmarks portion of places in shape for it to go out with alpha 5. And we are excited to let you all know that tonight we enabled the places implementation of bookmarks on the trunk. Although there is much to be done still, this is an important milestone for us.

There are a few points we would like to make right away, to avoid any confusion, tears, and/or death threats:

* Backup your bookmarks data before starting. It's just common sense. Now, we do back up your bookmarks.html (to bookmarks.preplaces.html) in case the worst happens, but wouldn't you feel better knowing you have your own copy somewhere safe?

* Migration from bookmarks.html -> places.sqlite will happen only once. From then on, bookmarks.html will be kept up to date with changes in the db, but not the other way around. This means that after initial import, if you make any changes to bookmarks.html (say, by running Firefox 2 and editing your bookmarks) you will need to manually export them and re-import them into the bookmark-on-places nightly (see bug 381216).

* There are rough edges; please wear your hard hat at all times. Remember that the UI is still being designed (e.g., tagging UI thread), and don't be surprised to find some regressions, both functional and in performance (see bug 380307). However, that said, we would love for you to tell us about your experience.

* In addition to bugzilla and the newsgroups, we usually hang out on #places on mozilla irc. Feel free to drop by, whether you have issues or just to say hi.

Thanks!
The Places Team
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Thanks for the update and the hard work. The nightly thread has already noted the landing and we await the bleeding with baited breath :D
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Can I get my sidebar and bookmarks icon back? I tried classic sidebars, but it didn't work.
v_thunder

Post by v_thunder »

malliz: I know! You folks are too fast ;-)

Itsnow: The bookmarks sidebar should be availble from the view->sidebar menu as usual, is it not? As for the bookmarks icon, what do you mean? I'm afraid we have not really tested any extensions that deal with bookmarks, so you may be running into conflicts there.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

v_thunder wrote:malliz: I know! You folks are too fast ;-)

Itsnow: The bookmarks sidebar should be availble from the view->sidebar menu as usual, is it not? As for the bookmarks icon, what do you mean? I'm afraid we have not really tested any extensions that deal with bookmarks, so you may be running into conflicts there.

Yes, the bookmarks sidebar does show when you click view>sidebar, but I'd like to have the icon from the customize menu that you can place on the toolbar and have the sidebar open from there.
v_thunder

Post by v_thunder »

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, places changes the internals so any extension that had anything to do with that will most likely not work anymore. This is something we'll have to work with extension authors on... to get them to port extensions over.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

What extension are you referring to? I'm just talking about Minefields's normal behavior before places landed. As soon as I updated the bookmark icon was gone from the toolbar and there was no way to get it back.
v_thunder

Post by v_thunder »

Oh, my confusion, sorry! You are correct, and I've filed a bug for it:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381245
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

v_thunder wrote:Oh, my confusion, sorry! You are correct, and I've filed a bug for it:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381245

Thank you so much for your quick action. I love Firefox and particularly Minefield. It's been great and very fast. I had assumed that the sidebar would be gone as it was last year when places was enabled. But I see now that it is there, but just needs an icon. Thanks again for all your hard work.
v_thunder

Post by v_thunder »

Thank you! :-)

We decided last year to try to achieve some amount of Firefox 2 parity on top of the places backend before trying to experiment with the UI. We will see some more gradual UI changes in the coming weeks/months (carefully designed, with some experiments as extensions perhaps).

Be sure to drop by #places or file a bug if you find anything we should look at!

Ok... nappy time now. Nite!
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Is the 'History' not yet "Integrated" into the 'Places package', or is this bookmarks only for now with the History still being FX2 parity style - i.e.: sidebar?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9a5pre) Gecko/20070518 Minefield/3.0a5pre Firefox/3.0 ID:2007051821 [cairo]
mconnor

Post by mconnor »

history on places has been on since december, with Ui parity with Fx2. the organizer design work hasn't integrated the search etc, yet, we're trying to get the new backend stable and then iterate rapidly, rather than a from-scratch design ignoring the existing featureset.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Quick questions regarding this. Is the update with the daily build and this update the reason clicking on the bookmark does not open the page? IE click on bookmark and nothing happens. Right click>>>>open bookmark opens.

Also clicking on folder in bookmarks does not open that folder. Clicking on the +/- opens/closes folder in bookmarks.

Another thing I see if that when I click organize bookmarks, it's very slow (10-15 seconds to open). Previously it took 2-3 seconds.

Thanks as always for the great progress in Minefield :)

Kris
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

@kookykrazee

try with safe-mode, and with new profile.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If you're using All in one Sidebar, that's the problem with trying to open a bookmark from the sidebar. You describe exactly what happened to me.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.