Trying to stop Gmail opening when click on email links

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
laurensh

Trying to stop Gmail opening when click on email links

Post by laurensh »

I have FF Version 2.0.0.3 which I reinstalled during a reformat and full install a week ago.
Using FF when I click on any email links on webpages, Gmail opens instead of Outlook Express.
Outlook Express is set as default in XP Access Defaults.
This is a FF issue as if I click on an email link uising Int Explorer 7 it correctly opens up Outlook Express.
Only with FF does it open Gmail web mail.
I did install Gmail last week using auto config, BUT I have already removed it, as it was only meant to set up a Gmail POP account in Outlook Express, NOT become the Default email for FF, though FF opens Gmail webmail not GMail POP mail in Outlook Express, I have already removed all the Gmail files I coukd see in the computer.
Can someone help please.
(PS I have already closed off and deleted my Gmail account, but email links using FF still open the Gmail page)
PPS could it be connected that I installed a Google Toolbar, which has G mail as an option.
I can't see how to remove the toolbar, I can only see how to turn it off)
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

yes, as far as i know, redirecting mailto:-links is a feature somewhere in the google toolbar. is the toolbar listed in tools > addons > extensions? you can uninstall it from there...
laurensh

Post by laurensh »

Thanks, I just managed to uninstall it and when I click on email links now nothing happens.
I reinstalled the toolbar again and as before when I click on email links google email page opens.
If you do NOT have a Google toolbar, what happens if you click on an email link on a page with an email link......
So, at my end with the toolbar installed, clicking on an email link goes to Gmail page
With the Google Toolbar uninstalled clicking on an email link. nothing happens
What happens with you please Many thanks
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

normally my external e-mail program opens up, when i click on a mailto-link...

just a thought: can you enter "about:config" into the firefox location bar and search for a preference called "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto". it should be set to "true" - if it isn't, then change it to true (via double-clicking it) and see if that helps
laurensh

Post by laurensh »

Thanks very much madperson.....you're very non mad!! That fixed it. It was set to false
Thanks again
Old madperson

Post by Old madperson »

you're welcome :))

Re: Trying to stop Gmail opening when click on email links

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot! I was mad too!
That helped
enter "about:config" into the firefox location bar and search for a preference called "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto". it should be set to "true"
LIMPET235

Re: Trying to stop Gmail opening when click on email links

Post by LIMPET235 »

That's great.
Now locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)