"java console not supported" in 2.0.0.x

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tanstaafl

"java console not supported" in 2.0.0.x

Post by tanstaafl »

I allowed Firefox to upgrade to 2.0.0.3. It mentioned that the Java console was unsupported. However, I can still run Java applets, it didn't disable any extensions, I didn't have a Java console extension or any of the web developer extensions, and the release notes only mention of Java is "Java does not run on Intel Core processors under Rosetta.". I'm using XP Pro SP2.

As an experiment I just installed the "Open Java console" extension and it works fine. It added Tools -> Java Console. So what was it really talking about? Did anybody else run into this?

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

This is not a Firefox error and Java Runtime Environment 6 (JRE 6) still works with Firefox 2.0.0.3

When you install JRE 6 it adds an extension to Firefox that adds a menu item to the Tools menu to open the Java Console. There is an error in the set-up file for the extension that only lists it as compatible with Firefox 2 and not Firefox 2.0.0.* - This causes the extension to be disabled when you upgrade Firefox, but JRE 6 will still work normally. The only difference is that you will no longer have a menu item that opens the Java Console (most people will never need this).

This extension is hidden so will not appear in the add-ons manager. The extension is installed in the application directory rather than the profile folder. If you look in the extensions folder within the application directory (default location C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions) the extension will be in a folder called {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
steviex

Post by steviex »

Wondered about that.... Thanks for the info, as installed JRE 6 before updating, and got the message tanstaafl got above...
I assume that if you want the console, you can bump the install.rdf file, and reinstall ... or is it more complicated than that.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I uninstalled the "Open Java console" extension, exited Firefox, changed the line in the hidden extensions install.rdf to use 2.0.0.* , and modified the advanced-> java console setting in java control panel to show the java console. Then I restarted Firefox.

Half the time when I run the java applet at http://world.std.com/~bgw/applets/1.02/Life/Life.html I can see/use the java console. The other half of the time it hangs Firefox and I have to use task manager to kill it. I've tried this eight times. I have no problem running that applet in Opera, but the Java control panel doesn't know about Opera so I can't tell it to open the Java console.

Is the hidden extension incompatible with Firefox 2.0.0.3?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=6506635
Evaluation- The install manifest for Java Console currently targets Firefox application with maxVersion 2.0. This causes any version of FF later than 2.0 to not being able to recognize the Java Console extension module.
Unfortunately, we cannot set maxVersion to an indefinite number later than 2.0.
Will set this maxVersion to 5.0+ to allow a big time gap.
Posted Date : 2007-01-26 00:16:03.0

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Good to know.

I looked at the install manifest file for the "Open Java console" extension and it has the same change I made to Suns extension. I looked at both extensions source code and they both get the same JVM interface (nsIJVMManager) and then use it to call showJavaConsole().
steviex

Post by steviex »

Good show.... I'll resurrect this thread when we reach Firefox 5 .... :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
PayPaul

Firefox Upgrades and Java Console

Post by PayPaul »

Not all of us are programming wizards. When Firefox decided to update itself I was informed that the Java Console GRE 6(?) was incompatible with the newest version of FF. I'm reading all this this stuff about "upgrading the instal.rdf file" but that requires a whole set of programming that I'm not familiar with or have the time to meddle with right now. Is there a simpler solution? Is that sacrilege in this forum to even ask for? Why is it that the folks at Firefox can't come up with an update for this add-on that prevents the malfunctioning of certain websites using JAVA?

Paul
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

It's not a Firefox problem as far as I know it's Sun Javas, so it's up to them to fix it
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Re: Firefox Upgrades and Java Console

Post by Guest »

PayPaul wrote: Why is it that the folks at Firefox can't come up with an update for this add-on that prevents the malfunctioning of certain websites using JAVA?
It's Sun's problem. Mozilla didn't create the Java addon and it isn't even required to use the Java plugin.
Amylogamy

Post by Amylogamy »

Hi,
I just also downloaded the new Firefox update. I have been using the Trend Secure free virus scan which uses the Java Console. I just tried it and it does not work anymore. I also tried using it with Internet Explorer 6, which I hate and hardly ever use. Did not work either. Does that mean that I cannot use the Tend Secure Free scan anymore? Is there a way to fix this or another web browser that supports it?
I would appreciate your response.
Thanks, Amy
Osage923

Post by Osage923 »

I don't know whose problem it is but it needs to be fixed. I absolutely can't update firefox, thunderbird, or seamonkey without going into safe mode.
As a matter of fact I am in safe mode now and waiting for the new complete version of FF to load after the small update file crashed my computer.

My question is why is not someone at Firefox working with Sun---and hauling their **** into court if they can't be reasonable? This has been a huge problem for many months now---surely something can be done.---

Language edited by Dartman/Moderator

Post by Guest »

Osage923 wrote:I don't know whose problem it is but it needs to be fixed.
Looks like you don't read very well.

When you install JRE 6 it adds an extension to Firefox that adds a menu item to the Tools menu to open the Java Console. There is an error in the set-up file for the extension that only lists it as compatible with Firefox 2 and not Firefox 2.0.0.* - This causes the extension to be disabled when you upgrade Firefox, but JRE 6 will still work normally. The only difference is that you will no longer have a menu item that opens the Java Console (most people will never need this).
Also http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bu ... id=6506635

I absolutely can't update firefox, thunderbird, or seamonkey without going into safe mode.
This has nothing to do with Java.

Post by Guest »

I just updated to 2.0.0.4 and it told me that Java isn't compatible with it.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Read this thread, and follow and read all the links. It is caused by Sun not updating the maxversion on the Java console addon