TBE 1.10.2003120901 No Go with Latest Nightly

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
John Liebson

TBE 1.10.2003120901 No Go with Latest Nightly

Post by John Liebson »

The text on the author's site says, "Fixed: XUL binding error on lately Mozilla has disappeared."

I tried installing it twice, both times with a clean profile, using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208 Firebird/0.7+.

Both times, TBE installed, but when I would try to restart Firebird, a screen message would appear, sayhing something about waiting a while until Firebird started. I waited, but Firebird never started, so I tried clicking the "OK" button on the screen box, whereupon I would see Firebird for an instant, followed by the box again--and again, and again., and Alt-Ctrl-Del, stop the Mozex~1 process.
Octane

Post by Octane »

Just wanted to confirm this bug. Same thing happened to me.
JEdwardP

Re: TBE 1.10.2003120901 No Go with Latest Nightly

Post by JEdwardP »

John Liebson wrote:TBE installed, but when I would try to restart Firebird, a screen message would appear, sayhing something about waiting a while until Firebird started. I waited, but Firebird never started, so I tried clicking the "OK" button on the screen box, whereupon I would see Firebird for an instant, followed by the box again--and again, and again., and Alt-Ctrl-Del, stop the Mozex~1 process.

I see it here too. EVENTUALLY though, Firebird did start and give me the same old "no bindings" error. I'm reporting this to Piro; you should too, if you haven't.

The good news is the me4get patched TBE still works, which it's never failed to do for me. Piro's patches have yet to work.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

JEdwardP wrote:
John Liebson wrote:TBE installed, but when I would try to restart Firebird, a screen message would appear, sayhing something about waiting a while until Firebird started. I waited, but Firebird never started, so I tried clicking the "OK" button on the screen box, whereupon I would see Firebird for an instant, followed by the box again--and again, and again., and Alt-Ctrl-Del, stop the Mozex~1 process.

I see it here too. EVENTUALLY though, Firebird did start and give me the same old "no bindings" error. I'm reporting this to Piro; you should too, if you haven't.

The good news is the me4get patched TBE still works, which it's never failed to do for me. Piro's patches have yet to work.
I suppose I could have waited longer, but I gave up after what seemed to be an infinitely long wait, "infinite" meaning, "I did not want to wait any longer."

I'll send Piro an email, too. And, yes, the me4get works okay--and I like having something that forgets for me, saving me the bother!
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

It sounds like Piro was trying to add functionality or maybe trying to fix a problem in addition to the XUL binding stuff. Remember that Piro mainly develops on Mozilla [at least he used to].

I did a little hacking on me4get's version to remove some of the properties options and Firebird feels a little snappier now. I had a look at some of the other code for candidates to remove code for the future. One thing I'm curious about for those that know XUL processing: do comments and spaces consume execution time?

I'm planning to take a hatchet to Context Menu Extensions too.

There are some waits in Piro's TBE code to deal with bugs in Mozilla or Firebird here or there and this problem may be another of this type.
Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 M 2.0 Ghz 1 GB 40 GB XP Pro NVidia 64 MB WUXGA CME, CH, TBE , EZS Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040325 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy-O2-GL7-SSE2-crc32-Zp16-quek013)
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

Yeow! This new version of TBE has grown to 289K!!!!!

Some new features for sure but I wish that he'd split things up into multiple extensions.
Dell Inspiron 8500 P4 M 2.0 Ghz 1 GB 40 GB XP Pro NVidia 64 MB WUXGA CME, CH, TBE , EZS Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040325 Firefox/0.8.0+ (mmoy-O2-GL7-SSE2-crc32-Zp16-quek013)
JEdwardP

Post by JEdwardP »

Goldzilla wrote:I did a little hacking on me4get's version to remove some of the properties options and Firebird feels a little snappier now.

Do you plan to post a build w/ your hacks? Some of us might really appreciate this sort of "TBE Light."
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

JEdwardP wrote:
Goldzilla wrote:I did a little hacking on me4get's version to remove some of the properties options and Firebird feels a little snappier now.

Do you plan to post a build w/ your hacks? Some of us might really appreciate this sort of "TBE Light."

I may at some point. I want to get rid of the tab groups stuff, colored tabs, tab bar on the bottom. I also want to do a cleaner job. I just hacked out the code that checks bookmarks for Javascript, images, etc. I'd like to remove the pref panel and all of the other hooks to this feature.

The move tabbar to the bottom or top by drag has an Observer function which, I assume, eats up cycles. The amount of code in TBE is really amazing and I need to be careful not to hack something that's needed.

The latest version sounds like it has support for veritcal tabs as well as additional properties. I'm curious as to why so much code is needed to do this and I'd like to see the performance hit. I also have to decide if I want to be in the mode of modifying TBE for when a new release comes out. If that is the case, then I'd need to write some rules on how to hack it up.

I only use about half the features of CME too and would like to get that smaller.

Of course another solution would be to buy a new laptop but that's cheating.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

There is now TBE 1.10.2003120902 on Piro's site that seems to work with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208 Firebird/0.7+.

I installed it in a clean profile, got a different on-screen message from that of ...901, saying that a change had been detected, please restart browser. I clicked on "OK", and was able to restart Firebird.

So, I installed the new version in my regular profile, got same message, same behavior.

Clicked on a link in Thunderbird, was taken to a new tab in Firebird. Returned to Firebird, clicked on another link, got an "XBL problem" error message, got rid of it, was taken to Firebird, in a new tab. Clicked a third Tbird link, no problem in accessing Firebird. (That XBL message may have been caused by there being a "Site wants to create another cookie" message being on-screen from the first tab--I don't know that, of course, just postulating.)

Piro's site History says the startup problem may have been fixed, so clearly he is not certain. I'll report what I have found to him.

[EDIT] FALSE ALARM!

Sorry, but after rebooting my computer, the latest version simply does not work. I get an XBL binding error, followed by something about "In tabbrowser service.save..." not being all there.

Sigh: Another email to Piro, and back to using the patched version from evertex.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

After running the new TBE for a day and playing around with vertical tabbars, I find that performance is equal to or maybe a little better than it was before. I've gone back to horizontal tabbars though as I don't like the way the vertical tabs are spaced. What I think would be interesting would be to put the tabbar in the menubar with just favicons which shouldn't take up very much space.
DarkHydra

Post by DarkHydra »

John Liebson wrote:[EDIT] FALSE ALARM!

Sorry, but after rebooting my computer, the latest version simply does not work. I get an XBL binding error, followed by something about "In tabbrowser service.save..." not being all there.

Sigh: Another email to Piro, and back to using the patched version from evertex.

Just confirming thisl I get the same problem with 20031209 and the latest TBE. Can't launch because of the XBL binding error, unless I open preferences first, and then launch firebird.
JEdwardP

Post by JEdwardP »

DarkHydra wrote:I get the same problem with 20031209 and the latest TBE. Can't launch because of the XBL binding error, unless I open preferences first, and then launch firebird.

At least one user reports that the combination of TBE 2003120902 AND Piro's patch for userchrome.css is working for him.

I've not tried it yet, as I've grown weary of failed TBE builds, and need a bit of a mental rest. I'll just stick with the me4get patch for at least a couple more days.
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

I'm using my hacked version. Will wait until something more stable comes along.
doh

Post by doh »

I can confirm that the patch + the latest version (2003120902) combination is working fine.
CappuchinoMan

Post by CappuchinoMan »

I just tried the new TBE with Mozilla suite and I can say that it is MUCH faster loading now. It is no longer so impeded by TBE whether it's a fresh load or after Mozilla was already in memory. The size of TBE may have gotten bigger but something important is changed now. And I basically have just about every option running. It's great!!