Games won't load on shockwave after update!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cdw_10

Games won't load on shockwave after update!

Post by cdw_10 »

The only way I get through my long work days is through the small amount of pleasure I get from silly games on shockwave!!

That said, and I am the furthest from being computer savvy, but I guess its the java applets that are not loading when i try to play a game (text twist for example) on shockwaves website. This problem only occurred after Firefox was updated to 2.0.0.4 while IE has no problems loading games on the same website. First I thought it had something to do with java, but the applets seem to load in Firefox when I access other sites like Yahoo Games!!

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon!! Or do you all have better things to do with your time other than play games!! haHA!!

cheers
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Maybe I'm in the wrong section, but most of the games on shockwave.com use either Flash or Shockwave, not Java (I suppose that does make sense, right?) Make sure you have those installed - to see which plugins are available to Firefox, go to about:plugins.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds
James

Post by James »

cdw_10

Post by cdw_10 »

I have both flash and shockwave plugins. I say java because when I open certain games with IE the orange java logo can be seen and the icon also appears in my system tray, at least I thought it did, then I hid it and now I don't know how to open up the java control panel!! Anyway, other games will load adobe shockwave and others will load java, I can do both with IE, but neither with Firefox......again this happened after the latest update.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Text Twist has a Java Applet in the listed in the page source, so you are correct about that.
I do not have JRE installed so I can't check if it works
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Ah, didn't see that. But once again, are any of those plugins listed in about:plugins?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20061201 Firefox/2.0.0.6 (Ubuntu-feisty)
When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
-- Linus Torvalds

Post by Guest »

The following are listed in about:plugins

1)Shockwave for Director (Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.2)
File name: np32dsw.dll

2)Shockwave Flash (Shockwave Flash 9.0 r45)
File name: NPSWF32.dll

3)Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1 (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper))
File name: npjava13.dll
File name: npjava14.dll
File name: npjava32.dll
File name: npjava11.dll
File name: npjava12.dll
File name: npjpi160_01.dll

All are Enabled.
cdw_10

Post by cdw_10 »

Anonymous wrote:The following are listed in about:plugins

1)Shockwave for Director (Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.2)
File name: np32dsw.dll

2)Shockwave Flash (Shockwave Flash 9.0 r45)
File name: NPSWF32.dll

3)Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1 (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper))
File name: npjava13.dll
File name: npjava14.dll
File name: npjava32.dll
File name: npjava11.dll
File name: npjava12.dll
File name: npjpi160_01.dll

All are Enabled.

That was me above. And I tried the link to Text Twist provided by dickvl which led me to Yahoo and the bloody thing works there with Firefox. So it seems that for some reason nothing will load (shockwave or java) just on the shockwave website http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/texttwist.jsp
Someone maybe wanna give this a go and see what happens?!?!?!?!
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Huh, Text Twist works fine for me even though it takes a minute for it to redirect past the ads. Are you getting the popup player window? It uses JavaScript to launch it, make sure that's enabled as well in Tools -> Options -> Content. Also remember that if you have NoScript installed you need to go to the NoScript options and whitelist shockwave.com.
-- Linus Torvalds
cdw_10

Post by cdw_10 »

Got it working....as soon as i seen the word ADS!!! I disabled AdBlock Plus on shockwaves site and it loaded......Which is really weird cause before the update I had adblock running on that website!!!! Oh well............thanks for you help.
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

I had Adblock Plus on, and it still worked - it just didn't show the ads before starting the game. I guess it's a problem with one of your filter rules.
-- Linus Torvalds
Giorgio Maone

Re: Games won't load on shockwave after update!

Post by Giorgio Maone »

cdw_10 wrote:This problem only occurred after Firefox was updated to 2.0.0.4 while IE has no problems loading games on the same website. First I thought it had something to do with java, but the applets seem to load in Firefox when I access other sites like Yahoo Games!!

The most likely reason is this Firefox 2.0.0.4 change, which makes AB+ interfere also with requests initiated by plugins like Flash or Shockwave.
Tad Ghostal

Post by Tad Ghostal »

The most likely reason is this Firefox 2.0.0.4 change, which makes AB+ interfere also with requests initiated by plugins like Flash or Shockwave.

Then why did it work for me? I don't recall updating Adblock Plus recently.
-- Linus Torvalds
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Space Ghost 231 wrote:

Then why did it work for me? I don't recall updating Adblock Plus recently.

Different filters maybe?