Seamonkey vs. Opera

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
phoggy

Seamonkey vs. Opera

Post by phoggy »

Hi !

I have been perusing the archives trying to find opinions regarding Opera vs. SeaMonkey. Specifically the security of the email and browser components. I didn't find much so far, and what I did find usually referred to older versions of the two (esp. Opera). And most often Opera is contrasted to Firefox, but I'm looking for the comparison of functions, safety/security, etc. of Opera and SM _as suites_.

So, I was wondering: are there any up-to-date articles, discussions, etc. here or elsewhere that any here know about that compare and contrast the two suites ? E.g. is someone's main concern for was for browsing and email safety/security in a suite, would one be preferred over the other, or are they about the same ?

Thanks !

Scott
Cyberfox

Post by Cyberfox »

I use the browser component only of SM, but I have used Opera and Netscape recently, and both times I end up using SM because it's the best!!!
phoggy

Post by phoggy »

Cyberfox wrote:I use the browser component only of SM, but I have used Opera and Netscape recently, and both times I end up using SM because it's the best!!!

Hi, Cyberfox

Thanks for the response.

When you say "best," do you mean the way it works (speed, functionality, etc.) ? And what do you think about any differences in security between the two ?

Also, without being too nosey, I'm wondering why you don't use the SM email client. Do you prefer another, or do you use webmail predominantly ? (I use dial up, so an email client is a necessity for me for convenience sake, and I like the idea of its being integrated with a browser as in SM and Opera. But I'm still "on the fence" about which one of the two I prefer.)

Thanks !

Scott
Cyberfox

Post by Cyberfox »

Yes, the best for speed and functionality etc. I use AdBlock+ and NoScript and can't imagine browsing without them now. I use webmail--not Outlook Express. As far as security, I know Opera is safest simply because it isn't used as much as the other browsers, but SM with NoScript is pretty close.
Last edited by Cyberfox on June 5th, 2007, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I hear Opera's e-mail client is poor compared to SeaMonkey's/ThunderBird.

Opera has even more features out of the box than SeaMonkey, like mouse gestures, and more options.

As for security, they're pretty much on equal terms.
mimi_s_mum

Post by mimi_s_mum »

I use both. Opera is my primary browser and SeaMonkey default mail client and secondary browser (with Multizilla). I used to use Opera mail client. But now I use Opera as browser only, about 80% of time, perhaps. I use SeaMonkey for the rest and occasionally play with K-Meleon. The out-of-box feasures I like about Opera are: tab recycling bin (all the tabs you've closed since you start up Opera are recoverable); site specific settings (you can set UA, disable/enable js, flash, etc, per site; turning graphic on/off/cache only, useful if your connection is slow or bandwith limited); customisable UI (buttons and toolbars can be moved anywhere; eg, I have tool bars at the bottom, panel/side bar on right and menu bar toggled off); and Wand/password manager, whcih can handle multiple profiles/password (I have three gmail accounts and Wand stores and manages all three). Opera also has 'Block content' function out of box, a sort of adblock that can also block flash objects but without filter subscription.

Opera Mail is OK as a mail notification tool while browsing, but problematic in storing messages. I like to keep all my past messages and that was not possible with Opera. In that way Opera is less complete as suite in comparison to SeaMonkey. I like the way the browser and mail client are smoothly integrated in SeaMonkey. For example, I use SeaMonkey browser to change my email passwords. I like how the password manager picks up the new password and applies it when Mail checks the account. Opera can't do that. I also like how you can create multiple profiles with SeaMonkey.

Speedwise, there is not much difference between Opera and SeaMonkey on my system. Recent Opera versions since 9.0 seem a bit slower than before, and SeaMonkey may be a little faster. (Interestingly, recently I had a little experiment with Linux: Opera on SUSE is quite a bit faster than FireFox on SUSE or Opera on XP!) If you want speed, I'd say use K-Meleon ;)

Safety/Security aspects. I subscribe to secunia advisory feed to keep up to date with security issues. If either browser is affected by a serious issue, I'd simply use the other.

To summarise it, as suite, SeaMonkey has an edge over Opera. Browser component of Opera, however, is more versatile than SeaMonkey browser (out-of-box; if you throw in Multizilla, they become closer). I'm probably overusing Opera and underutilising SeaMonkey, but once you get used to the closed tab recycle bin (and Wand), it's very hard to do without.
phoggy

Post by phoggy »

Thanks to Cyberfox, BenoitRen, and mimi_s_mum for your very helpful replies !

I must say, in general I like Opera's tabbed access to the mail client as well as the single-key shortcuts to side panel, full screen, etc. But SeaMonkey is a more full-featured email client in the 'compose' departement.

It looks like I'll be experimenting with BOTH suites for some time !

Thanks again !

Scott
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

phoggy wrote:...as well as the single-key shortcuts to side panel, full screen, etc.

Unless I miss your meaning, you seem to have missed F9 and F11 in SeaMonkey.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

It looks like I'll be experimenting with BOTH suites for some time !

I continually waffle back and forth between SeaMonkey and Opera. I myself find this perplexing as Opera is closer (in UI terms) to Firefox than it is SeaMonkey, and I dislike Firefox enough that I've stopped bothering even trying the new milestone releases.

Despite my occasional spurts of constant Opera usage, I always come back to SeaMonkey. Better compatibility with Google services (Writely, Pages, etc) and the extensions (which ironically, we have Phoenix/FB/FF to thank for, IIRC) and the UI arrangement I'm used to just make for a better over all experience--even if Opera does feel somewhat faster.

I only need three extensions to make SeaMonkey "perfect" -- I wouldn't even know where to start with FF. :)
Long live the Suite!
mimi_s_mum

Post by mimi_s_mum »

With regard to Opera's tab recycling bin, I only recently realised my SeaMonkey with Multizilla does have 'Reopen Closed Tabs' with list of all closed tabs. A sign I indeed should use SeaMonkey more.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

mimi_s_mum wrote:With regard to Opera's tab recycling bin, I only recently realised my SeaMonkey with Multizilla does have 'Reopen Closed Tabs' with list of all closed tabs. A sign I indeed should use SeaMonkey more.
Only the last 15 closed tabs (for performance and memory reasons).

Phil
mimi_s_mum

Post by mimi_s_mum »

I said
mimi_s_mum wrote:I use both. Opera is my primary browser and SeaMonkey default mail client and secondary browser (with Multizilla). .... and Wand/password manager, which can handle multiple profiles/password (I have three gmail accounts and Wand stores and manages all three). ....

Now I've just realised the password manager of my SeaMonkey with Multizilla does handle multiple profiles/passwords. So another +1 for SeaMonkey. :)