firefox glitchy

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
guest12264231692

firefox glitchy

Post by guest12264231692 »

Well, I've been having some trouble lately. FF is really shaky. Typing is really annoying. Like now, when you type it freezes for a few seconds , then displays everything you typed all at once. So if you are a quck typer like me, it's really annoying, it'd even be annoygin if you were a slow one. And when you hover over a link, it takes a second for FF to recognize it's a link, then when you click it, it takes a second to recognize you clicked it, then it will load. It even takes second to recognize you've hovered over the toolbar buttons. I've updated to 2.0.0.4 and i'm still having the same issues. so if anyone has any suggestions on a fix that would be great ;D This is becoming a large problem for me and i'm almost considering going back to IE, but that would be my last resort.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Try the Firefox SafeMode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
finneybuck

Missing Links

Post by finneybuck »

Hi,

I'm using Firefox on my work PC (Windows XP) and for weeks now I have been unable to view the pull-down tabs in e-mails (for example, reply all), certain links at Yahoo! maps (my ISP is Yahoo, if that matters) and there are many other links that once were visible but now are not. I've tried changing themes and playing around with colors and none of it seems to work. Thoughts?
finneybuck

Missing Links

Post by finneybuck »

Hi,

I'm using Firefox on my work PC (Windows XP) and for weeks now I have been unable to view the pull-down tabs in e-mails (for example, reply all), certain links at Yahoo! maps (my ISP is Yahoo, if that matters) and there are many other links that once were visible but now are not. I've tried changing themes and playing around with colors and none of it seems to work. Thoughts?
Tetramesh

Post by Tetramesh »

guest12264231692 wrote:Well, I've been having some trouble lately. FF is really shaky. Typing is really annoying. Like now, when you type it freezes for a few seconds , then displays everything you typed all at once. So if you are a quck typer like me, it's really annoying, it'd even be annoygin if you were a slow one. And when you hover over a link, it takes a second for FF to recognize it's a link, then when you click it, it takes a second to recognize you clicked it, then it will load. It even takes second to recognize you've hovered over the toolbar buttons. I've updated to 2.0.0.4 and i'm still having the same issues. so if anyone has any suggestions on a fix that would be great ;D This is becoming a large problem for me and i'm almost considering going back to IE, but that would be my last resort.

A perfect description of what I am experiencing at the moment, its driving me mad.

the-edmeister wrote:Try the Firefox SafeMode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

Ed

I went into safe mode but there was no change, even writing this post is a painful experience. Is it possible that the latest bunch of updates from Microsoft have had some sort of effect? The problems seemed to begin around the same time.

Post by Guest »

Maybe this will help ...

Clear cache. Exit Firefox.
Go to your profile folder --> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Delete all sessionstore.js and duplicate cookies
Restart Firefox

Post by Guest »

I had a problem with a glitchy firefox also. I tried a lot of things, but later found out that it was bios. For some reason when i upgraded bios, it made everything glitchy and slow, so maybe check if you have updated drivers lately.
digriz

Post by digriz »

Geez - thanks. I thought it was just me.

I noticed the problem starting June 12th with my work computer (XP professional) I thought the IT guys added another filter, but when it started happening on my home computer (XP home), I knew something was up.

Clearing the cache, cookies, temp file, defrag, scan disk (re-boot) does not solve the problem. Slow page loads, slow response to mouse commands etc.

I noticed it when using multiple tabs (a single tab works fine), the more tabs - the worse the problem.

If we all worked for the same company and had the same IT area, this could be explained, BUT with so many different users reporting the same issues, there has to be something 'More Sinister' causing our problems.

If it keeps up (without a fix) I may have to switch over to (shudder) Safari.
Tetramesh

Post by Tetramesh »

I uninstalled the recent Microsoft updates, uninstalled all plugins and add-ons in Firefox, uninstalled Firefox completely and then reinstalled it, nothing improved. I then tried this...

Anonymous wrote:Maybe this will help ...

Go to your profile folder --> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Restart Firefox

...and everything seems to be running as far as I can tell. Thanks for the good advice 'Guest', much appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Tetramesh wrote:I uninstalled the recent Microsoft updates, uninstalled all plugins and add-ons in Firefox, uninstalled Firefox completely and then reinstalled it, nothing improved. I then tried this...

Guest wrote:Maybe this will help ...

Restart Firefox

...and everything seems to be running as far as I can tell. Thanks for the good advice 'Guest', much appreciated.

Sessionstore.js allows you to resume a previous session, if Firefox is not closed properly or it crashes. You should only have one sessionstore.js. Multiple sessionstore entries usually means it is locked (read only). Exit Firefox, Go to your profile folder, and right click sessionstore.js file properties and uncheck read only.

Some additional info here >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=558300

SessionStore

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem described above. I have 10,000 sessionstore files, and I am currently deleting them. Any idea how I got 10k when you're only supposed to have one? I definitely haven't had 10,000 crashes.

Hopefully removing them will solve my wierd hang problem.

Re: SessionStore

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I am having the same problem described above. I have 10,000 sessionstore files, and I am currently deleting them. Any idea how I got 10k when you're only supposed to have one? I definitely haven't had 10,000 crashes.

Hopefully removing them will solve my wierd hang problem.

I had the same problem, I had 10,000 sessionrestore files and an equal amount of cookies-xxx files. Has anyone got an idea of how i could have gotten this many files. Cause after deleting them, FF works normal now. It's back up to full speed, and typing back to normal, thank the Lord. It was brutal before.
steviex

Post by steviex »

It is usually caused by the files being Read Only. This causes Firefox, when it tries to write to the file, to create another if it can't write to it.
The upshot of this is, that Firefox has to check every single file before doing anything.... causing the jitters. and the proliferation of Files.

The cure... Make sure that all the files in your profile have writing access. Right click on the file and look in Properties...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.