Reinstalling Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FORDSON08

Reinstalling Thunderbird

Post by FORDSON08 »

Hey There,

I am wanting to reinstall thunderbird because of a glitch with sending pdfs.
Does anyone know of a way to export the old contact list into the reinstalled thunderbird?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Darren
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If you just reinstall Thunderbird, nothing should change with your e-mails, contacts, settings, etc., since those are all kept in the profile. If you want to be on the safe side, look at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup how to make a backup copy.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

But, because the profile isn't touched, reinstalling probably won't fix your problem either. Why don't you tell us what's happening.
FORDSON08

Post by FORDSON08 »

When I send a pdf from my machine it shows up blank.
If I send it from any other it shows up fine.
thanks for the reply
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

What does "shows up blank" mean? Is it attaching anything to your e-mail message, an empty attachment, or some garbled text?
FORDSON08

Post by FORDSON08 »

To the viewer on the other end the pdf opens and it is just a white page, or ocasionally it is garbled text. I send them normally as an attachement.
I have been through all the settings and nothing has changed since the files used to work fine.
Thats why I thought a restart might fix it.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If the other end recognizes it as a PDF file, it seems to come with the correct application/pdf content type. Can you send yourself an e-mail (important: through your mail server, not just saving a copy in Sent!) with a PDF file to verify that the same happens on your end, and also to be able to look into what's actually going out? Do you use the same outgoing mail (SMTP) server for this machine as for the others? (may be corrupted on the way somehow)

Also, for the record: Which operating system and which Thunderbird version do you use?
FORDSON08

Post by FORDSON08 »

I went ahead and emailed a pdf to myself and it did just show a blank page. Yes, the SMTP is exactly the same on my machine as it is on the others that do not have this issue.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

If you save the attachment and open it then, is it ok or empty as well?
Does the size of the attachment match what you've sent out?

rsx11m wrote:Also, for the record: Which operating system and which Thunderbird version do you use?
FordSON08

Post by FordSON08 »

Yes, even if you save the attachment it is still blank. The original file size was 384 kb, but after I sent it it was 360 kb. Also, when I try to open the sent pdf I get an error message of "Invalid Funtion Resource".
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Ok, so it is either corrupted or truncated on the way out. Open the message you sent to yourself with View -> Message Source and look up the following lines preceding your PDF attachment:

Code: Select all

--------------(some long identifier)
Content-Type: application/pdf;
 name="xxx.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Do you have anything different than "base64" in that last line? If it is sent out in 7bit, 8bit, or quoted-printable, this would indicate a corruption by sending a binary out as plain text.
FORDSON08

Post by FORDSON08 »

Yes, I think you are right! It doesnt say 64bit, it says 7-bit.
Do you know how I can fix this?.
Thanks
fORDSON08

Post by fORDSON08 »

oops, meant to type base64 not 64 bit
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Fixing this? Well, that's another story... this also depends on the operating system you are using. This looks like a wrong association between the application/pdf MIME type and the related actions. I found another topic in which a PDF attachment was sent as text (MacOS), and where deleting mimeTypes.rdf resolved the issue. Be advised though that deleting mimeTypes.rdf will also delete any other specific association you may have defined for a given content type! (I've never done that, thus I'm talking theory here)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=213736
http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

FORDSON08's on a Mac. User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/312.8.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/312.6