Wierd java problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Syal

Wierd java problem

Post by Syal »

I've already read the faq, aplied the patch and tried installing both versions of java to no avail.

Both times, when I restart firebird I get a window telling me sun java shouldn't ve used with IE. ¿Java mistakes firebird for IE? The wierdest thing is that if I unregister ms java, Sun java does work with IE.

Anyone has any idea what's going on?

I'm running WinXp, Firebird nightly release 6th december 2003.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Don't use a user agent switcher to get Firebird to pretend to be Internet Explorer. Java checks the user agent string to see what browser is trying to use it. Do you need to use a useragent switcher? If the site won't work with Firebird, boycott it. And if you have to use it, Email them and complain about their restrictive practices. Microsoft does not own the web. If we all pretend to be Internet Explorer nothing will change.
Syal

Post by Syal »

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I'm not using any user agent switcher. This happens to me with firebird without tinkering with the user agent string.

But as I've been unable to install java in firebird, whenever I need to use java for a site I open it in IE instead.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Forgive me for jumping to conclusions, but when you said "I get a window telling me sun java shouldn't be used with IE", I just assumed you were using an extension to alter the useragent string that identifies the browser.
revnomad really!

Post by revnomad really! »

I had the same problem. I installed the useragent switcher and discovered the string had been set to IE. I'm not certain how the switch occured. I have switched it back hopefully that will correct the problem.