!themes!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
hfx_ben

!themes!

Post by hfx_ben »

I had a very nice *old* install of 0.5 in place.

Yesterday, after chatting in #mozillazine, I downloaded and installed the nightly. "It's great!" "Nightlies rock!" "No sweat!" "Nightly is the way to go!"

*!BAD BAD BAD WRONG WRONG!*

Who broke the theme? How can defaulting to a bid dumb red star be considered a Good Thing? How come Modern shows no sample in preferences? Why can I not reset to Classic? How come I'm getting "no priviledges" on the themes site? Why doesn't the themse site installer work? How come Phoenix doesn't know what to do with an XPI?

What's really funny is I moved to Phoenix after downloading a recent 1.2.1 ... 1.2.1 had been working so well I had actually been doing some work with it. *!DUMB!*

Nightly != progress
When you look to see how the system works,
you usually discover that it doesn't.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Jars and XPI's haven't worked since the 12/29 build.

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3564

Unfortunately, the problem has yet to be fixed. Get your 12/28 while you can.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
flii

Post by flii »

the developers haven't had time to work on phoenix for a while, and this topic has been beaten to death with so many people posting about the same problem all over the phoenix forum... it won't take you long to find the other threads if you want to read more about it.

the conclusion has been to get 12-28 like alan said and sit tight until the devs fix xpi/jar installs.
Piel

Post by Piel »

Flii wrote:the developers haven't had time to work on phoenix for a while, and this topic has been beaten to death with so many people posting about the same problem all over the phoenix forum... it won't take you long to find the other threads if you want to read more about it.

the conclusion has been to get 12-28 like alan said and sit tight until the devs fix xpi/jar installs.

Congrats on breaking the 1200 mark for posts! :lol:
Lost User 2649

Post by Lost User 2649 »

Being new...Where might I get the 12/28/02 nightly?

Thanks,
Decon
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

hiznik

Post by hiznik »

I know about the XPI troubles in the recent builds, so I went back to the 20021228 build and got back the extensions I wanted. Except the "Google (Tool)bar" which I have never seen work, having used Phoenix for less than a month in all.

But somewhere between the newer troubled builds and the old one, some things also happened to Phoenix that I did not expect and can' t explain (what with me being just a " user" and all).

1. The favorites imported from that other browser have wierded--instead of the actual long list of foldered favorites in the OS folder, Phoenix shows me some generic list of favorites that the other browser had originally installed by default. The other browser will show the actual list of favorites.

2. The Google search box in the upper right corner of the Phoenix browser window has ceased to function. Yeah, I can type in the box, but there is no Enter-and-search functioning--hitting Enter doesn't do anything except possible reloading the currently displayed tab/page.

If anyone can tell me how to "fix" these things, I would really appreciate it.

BTW, I had the same problem with the theme business that the original poster of this topic had when I installed my first nightly Phoenix build way back in Dec., 2002.

hiznik
':mrgreen:'
I don't drink. I don't like it. It makes me feel good. -- Oscar Levant
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

hiznik wrote:Yeah, I can type in the box, but there is no Enter-and-search functioning--hitting Enter doesn't do anything except possible reloading the currently displayed tab/page.

The default search engine is to search in the current page. Click the icon and it will show a dropdown of the other search engines currently installed. Sometimes it remembers which I used last, sometimes it doesn't.