[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
gsl

Re: Why does restoring a sesson close all open ffox windows

Post by gsl »

beermatt wrote:Have a look at Tools -> SessionSaver -> Settings..., if set to Simple settings click to show Expert settings.

Thanks a lot, that did the trick which is marvellous. Of course, if I had gotten to these settings in the first place, I would't have to ask silly questions. Only the "Simple settings" was so grey and so thin (instead of black and bold) that it never occured to me that this might be an active button/link - pavlov knew what he was talking about. Might be worth thinking about this detail rue.
Thanks again beermat (love your monicker),
M.
wkearney99

Merging to an existing session and a casing bug?

Post by wkearney99 »

How about an option to merge an existing session? Right now when you select to save either a window or the whole session, and it detects that the name already exists, it presents two options, Keep and Replace. How about a way to add to it?

Then there's the possible bug that lets you save using the 'same' name but different case. As in saving "This Session" and "This session" are seen as the same thing but actually get saved separately. The error checking sees that the name exists but lets you save it using the new case anyway.
jesup

Seamonkey

Post by jesup »

Odd - In Seamonkey 1.1, when I try to select an entry for a saved session from the SessionSaver menu, it asks if I want to delete it. Am I misunderstanding the interface, or is this an issue with interacting with SeaMonkey?
beermatt

Re: Seamonkey

Post by beermatt »

jesup wrote:Odd - In Seamonkey 1.1, when I try to select an entry for a saved session from the SessionSaver menu, it asks if I want to delete it. Am I misunderstanding the interface, or is this an issue with interacting with SeaMonkey?
Sounds like the usual problem - try the tweaked extension from here (my tweak), or here (patched by KofolaMaster).

(If you're interested, here is where I first posted my tweak, subsequent discussion etc. - also wormey confirmed here that it also works on SM)..
mykrafone

Crash Recovery was difficult for me to manage

Post by mykrafone »

Crash recovery can be frustrating on Windows XP sp2 when starting FF after an ordinary XP shutdown, but there's a way to handle it, and information is available.

I'm a fairly ordinary user, but I found the following situation disproportionately abrupt and somewhat inappropriate ... and I'm not the only one who had problems with it ...

Stephen_snake wrote:To RUE,

But now i get this window:

(?) Firefox - Restore Previous Session

Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You can restore the tabs and windows from your
previous session, or start a new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were
viewing.

(buttons ->) Restore Session Start New Session

I actually like the idea of crash recovery, but I'm finding that it happens when I shut down my workstation normally. The operating system (Windos XP sp2) closes Firefox, as well as other software. When I start Firefox again, it acts as if there was a crash. I find the FF message, showing up the next time I start up, annoying in those cases, and there doesn't seem to be an easy-to-reach toggle in Options to turn it off. So I finally found out how to use about:config to find the browser.sessionrestore.resume_from_crash and set it to false.

Is there some way to have Firefox discriminate between forced shutdowns from the operating system, and crashes?

... by the way, for the record, this is related to the following Bugzilla entries (not an exhaustive list)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342885 Bug 342885 – Session restore launches even when I haven't crashed

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=333907 Bug 333907 – XRE quits too abruptly when Windows is shut down

...And several web pages

http://sessionmanager.mozdev.org/crashrecovery/
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Session_Restore
http://kb.mozillazine.org/SessionSaver

Although SessionSaver is an installable extension, Crash Recovery is on by default (at least with my FF, version 2.0.0.3, revision 1.8.1.3).

Thank you!
4paul3

Post by 4paul3 »

Beermatt,

Did you know that someone is trying to have SessionSaver deleted. You can find it here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pages_voted_for_deletion

I found that I needed to have the extension MR Tech Local Install v5.3.2.3 installed and your fixed SessionSaver extension before I upgraded from FF1.5.0.7 to 2.0.0.3 to get my sessions saved with FF v2. I upgraded a different account without MR Tech and they lost all their saved windows even though I had upgraded to your tweaked SessionSaver .20.2.1.031. This upgrade is NOT listed in the FF Extensions. You have to go to it from the link you provided a few pages back. The old version is the only one you can find with a search. Apple Mac G4 Quicksilver OS X.4.8.

Thank you for the tweak. It saved me a WHOLE bunch of extra work.

Paul
Mac OS X.4.8
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

4paul3 wrote:Did you know that someone is trying to have SessionSaver deleted. You can find it here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pages_voted_for_deletion
I didn't - however if I follow the link above I can't see any mention of it.. :?:

4paul3 wrote:I found that I needed to have the extension MR Tech Local Install v5.3.2.3 installed and your fixed SessionSaver extension before I upgraded from FF1.5.0.7 to 2.0.0.3 to get my sessions saved with FF v2. I upgraded a different account without MR Tech and they lost all their saved windows even though I had upgraded to your tweaked SessionSaver .20.2.1.031. This upgrade is NOT listed in the FF Extensions. You have to go to it from the link you provided a few pages back. The old version is the only one you can find with a search. Apple Mac G4 Quicksilver OS X.4.8.

Thank you for the tweak. It saved me a WHOLE bunch of extra work.
Glad it worked for you :D
I've now added a couple of comments to the mozilla extension page with a link to this topic (hopefully to make it easier for people to get here ;) )
Moustachu

Post by Moustachu »

beermatt wrote:I've done a quick tweak to get it working for me , you can download from here if you fancy trying it..

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS :D :D :D
4paul3

Post by 4paul3 »

The message that was there is gone now beermatt. Maybe someone saw my note. I've switched over to Firefox's Session Restore and I am a bit disappointed. Didn't SessionSaver remember the text I had typed into a window (say the Better Business Bureau) and if I had to quit FF it would restore the text. At least I think it remembered the text and my logins. Now that doesn't happen and I lost something important. It's back to copy and paste into an outside document again. I switched over because I am concerned that SessionSaver is no longer going to be updated to keep up with FF 2.x. Thank you beermatt.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Mac OS X.4.8
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

4paul3 wrote:The message that was there is gone now beermatt. Maybe someone saw my note.
That'll explain it then.. :D

4paul3 wrote:I've switched over to Firefox's Session Restore and I am a bit disappointed. Didn't SessionSaver remember the text I had typed into a window (say the Better Business Bureau) and if I had to quit FF it would restore the text. At least I think it remembered the text and my logins. Now that doesn't happen and I lost something important. It's back to copy and paste into an outside document again. I switched over because I am concerned that SessionSaver is no longer going to be updated to keep up with FF 2.x.
Fair comment - it looks as if rue has given up on SessionSaver (if you search for rue's posts there haven't been any since January 2006) and to be honest most people now appear to be happy with the functionality built into FF2 (or Session Manager etc.).
Nobody else appears to be rushing forward to keep SessionSaver up-to-date either - all I did was tweak it for my needs, and then release it in case anyone else will benefit from it (if it works great :D, if not then that's a shame ;) ).

However as some people appear to have had trouble installing my patched extension I've now created a page which should make things easier (should remove the need for Mr. Tech Local Install etc.) - at:-
SessionSaver .2d - Firefox 2
4paul3

Post by 4paul3 »

I was referred to this site

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324

and this extension works great. It's called Session Manager 0.5.3.4 It works like SessionSaver in conjunction with what is in the Firefox Preferences. So it sets the Preferences for you. I hope this helps someone out.
Mac OS X.4.8
vmehta77

Post by vmehta77 »

My electricity went out and when I turned my computer back on a check disk was run. When I opened FF2, session saver had no sessions saved. I tried a system restore to a previous date to no avail. How can I fix this? The saved sessions I had were pretty important and I would really, really like to get them back. I tried re-installing the patches but that didn't work. Is there a file where these old saved sessions are stored? Thanks!

VIP79
beermatt

Post by beermatt »

The SessionSaver sessions are stored in the prefs.js file within the Firefox profile directory.
After the power went did Firefox create a new profile? If so, the old prefs.js may still exist in the old profile directory.
If not you may need to see if there is a backup from the crash within your existing profile directory.
If not it may be worth scanning your PC with something like File Recovery, Free Undelete, Handy Recovery (all available on the UBCD for Windows - allows you to scan the disk from outside windows which can be better when recovering files)..

Good luck!
g10

SessionSaver + FF2 does not work after a crash

Post by g10 »

Hi. I also have sometimes the same problems described by vmehta77 (<a href="/viewtopic.php?p=2945308#2945308">here</a>) and Falastur (<a href="/viewtopic.php?p=2713586#2713586">here</a>): sometimes SessionSaver and the whole FF2 loose their settings (not only SessionSaver settings but also "tab width" settings, "tab close button" settings, and so on) after a crash or BSOD and sometimes SessionSaver does not restore the links when opened through a link. Seems that the whole profile is re-created in those scenarios.

Currently, I am using FF 2.0.0.6 (internal session manager disabled) and SessionSaver (beermatt fix). When using FF 1.5.x this problem did not exist, AFAIK. SessionSaver was able to recover even from a crash or BSOD. Is it a problem with SessionSaver, with FF2 or with both? Is there a workaround? Thanks

Update: Is this behaviour related with the <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=504121">Improper Shutdown Bug</a>? Do you use firefox internal session manager or sessionsaver to recover from a crash?
Prognathous

Post by Prognathous »

beermatt wrote:I've now installed FireFox 2 RC3 and am unable to restore a saved session. Whenever I click on one of my saved sessions from this menu I get a requester appear saying "Permanently remove the following session?"

I got the same message with Seamonkey 1.1.4. Downgrading back to 1.0.4 solved the problem. Does SessionSaver have a bug tracker where I can report this?

Prog.