Unable to send e-mail "Incorrect greeting..error 10060&

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ray29Jun

Unable to send e-mail "Incorrect greeting..error 10060&

Post by Ray29Jun »

I have several e-mail accounts set up on duplicate machines, both running Thunderbird 1.5.0.12 on WindowsXP. Just now I can't send any e-mails, from either machine, from any of my e-mail accounts. I can receive fine. When I try to send I get the message
"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 204. etc..., connect error 10060". I have rebooted my LAN server.

Any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Ray29jun

Post by Ray29jun »

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't see my error code (10060) in the list. I'm downloading PuTTY but I'm not knowledgeable enough to do much with it. The problem occurs on all outgoing mail (three different outgoing servers) so I think it's something at my end, and it occurs on both machines, so it looks like something with my LAN. (My mobile phone sends e-mails on these accounts fine, but it's a pain to use, of course.)

I haven't changed any settings, and I don't know how to change anything on the LAN anyway. Can you point me in the best direction to start hunting? If I need to explore with PuTTY, can you suggest what to look for and how to fix it?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry but you are now working outside my "comfort zone". I've edited the subject line to include more info on the issue. Someone with more network expertise may be able to assist.
ray29jun

Post by ray29jun »

Thanks for helping. I've been outside my comfort zone since this started.

Thanks for helping with the subject line.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

10060 is an error from your operating system, not from Thunderbird. The words "incorrect greeting" are probably the most important clue. They mean that Thunderbird found a server, but it is not behaving like an SMTP server. That knowledge base article lists possible reasons.

Also, if you reply here giving the name of the SMTP server (but no account details) I'll try it myself.
Rod
Ray29Jun

Post by Ray29Jun »

Thanks, Rod. The server that I want most is "pop.coyneair.com", but I also have "smtp.comcast.net" set up on my machines, and I'm getting the same error from both -- but only from my primary set-up.
I have two computers with the same settings going through my primary LAN and Comcast cable internet -- these are not working for outgoint mail, but incoming works fine.
I moved one machine to another ISP (Verizon DSL) using a different LAN, and it works -- so I think the problem is somehow in my primary LAN or Comcast.
I've read a lot of the article, but I don't see anything that looks applicable to my problem, since I have not changed any settings on my machines and it happens with different SMTP servers. The only common element is my LAN and ISP.
It's not as urgent for me now that I can get some messages out, but I still need to fix it, and I appreciate any suggestions.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Well pop.coyneair.com works for me as both a POP3 server and an SMTP server. (Actually it's Exchange pretending to be both.) The greeting is OK. So it looks like your ISP is blocking port 25. The usual solution is to use port 587 instead, but pop.coyneair.com is not configured to support that. Alternatively, some ISPs will unblock port 25 for you if you request it.
Rod
Ray29Jun

Post by Ray29Jun »

I understand that for that server, but I'm having the same problem with my comcast.net account. Wouldn't the comcast server work OK even if it was blocking the coyneair server? In the past I could send coyneair e-mails using the comcast server, but not today.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Do you have a "security" program that might be trying to block outgoing mail?
Rod
Ray29Jun

Post by Ray29Jun »

Windows firewall disabled, SpyBot, and Avast antivirus. I tried disabling them, but no change. I was hoping that maybe one of them updated itself during the night and the new update is causing me trouble, but I guess not.
Elnur

Re: Unable to send e-mail "Incorrect greeting..error 10060&

Post by Elnur »

Peaple plssss helppppp

i have same problem - error code 10060

all site exept our mail server could be open but www.cape.kz does not

please advice what to do?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Elnur, have you been to your link & read the Information that they supplied?
[q]
If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved.
(Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.)
Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no
other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.
Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group.
[/q]
Looks like a change was made & not updated yet.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem! I am trying to connect to pop.ntlworld.com and am getting the same message. i am in spain at the moment and can recieve emails but not send them. i have tried using port 587 but it still does not work. Can anyone help??

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I am having the same problem! I am trying to connect to pop.ntlworld.com and am getting the same message. i am in spain at the moment and can recieve emails but not send them. i have tried using port 587 but it still does not work. Can anyone help??
sorry i meant smtp.ntlworl.com!