Can you turn off the "preview pane" in Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
rebbi

Can you turn off the "preview pane" in Thunderbird

Post by rebbi »

Hi,

First of all.... wowie, zowie, Thunderbird is already great! I'm running Mac OS X "Panther" and I'm pretty close to making Thunderbird my default e-mail client. It's terrific.

Now, here's why I want to know about turning off the preview pane. I'm still "training" the adaptive filters for Spam. Now, suppose something makes it into my Inbox that I think, but am not sure is spam. Or, suppose I'm sure it's spam and want to mark it as such?

Since clicking on the mail with the preview pane active will display the mail, I'm concerned about downloading images that the spammer might have put there to identify my e-mail address as active. Now I know that there's a setting in Junk Mail Controls to "sanitize" HTML in displayed mail marked as Junk... but what about mail that hasn't been marked (yet) as Junk? Once it's displayed in the preview pane, haven't I lost that battle against "web bug" HTML code?

Of course, I can also tell Thunderbird under "Advanced" settings to "block loading of remote images in HTML mail." But then, even HTML mail that I'd like to see lacks graphics. Or, is there a way to ask Thunderbird to load gfx in HTML mails on an individual basis, making "no load" the default, but loading for mails I want to see?

Hope all this makes sense.

Steve
"Macintosh: Because Bill Gates wants to know what you ate for breakfast."
hsingh

Post by hsingh »

Uncheck View>Layout>Message Pane
rebbi

Post by rebbi »

Well, duh, there you go! ;-) Thanks!
R4F

Post by R4F »

You can also drag the divider up and down or get an extension on the Thunderbird Help site in my signature.
[size=9:0df8c2550c]Firefox Help | Nederlands
Thunderbird Help | Nederlands[/size:0df8c2550c]
rebbi

Post by rebbi »

R4F wrote:You can also drag the divider up and down or get an extension on the Thunderbird Help site in my signature.
Thanks for this reference. Can you tell me which extension you had in mind for this?

Thanks,

Steve
!!!!cdn!

[ 51 ]

Post by !!!!cdn! »

togmespane, I expect
!!!!cdn!
-- http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/#chromedit -- http://themes.mozdev.org/ --
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-*; rv:*.*) Gecko/200*mmdd Mozilla Firebird/*.*
Bernard W. Joseph

Post by Bernard W. Joseph »

Dragging the divider always worked, but for some reason, my Tbird 0.3 frequently only lets me drag it down to about 80% of the message window height. It's not quite random, I've yet to attach this behavior to anything so that I can get a handle on why it happens. Mostly, I've learned not to let it bother me. It'll probably be gone by the time 1.0 comes out.
Bernard W. Joseph
"I do not suffer fools, nor do I fool sufferers."
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Go to the Thunderbird extension site and get the 'grippies' extenison if available for your OS.
This will add some 'handles' to the bars between panes that close and open each of the panes.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Bernard W. Joseph wrote:Dragging the divider always worked, but for some reason, my Tbird 0.3 frequently only lets me drag it down to about 80% of the message window height.
I noticed this as well. But so far I haven't had this problem with 0.4.

One nifty feature in Netscape 7 mail that I was surprised to see isn't included in Thunderbird is that there was a button in the middle of the divider. If you clicked on it, it would close the mail preview pane (or open it, if closed), so that you didn't actually have to manually drag the divider down and up.
!!!!cdn!

[ 57 ]

Post by !!!!cdn! »

that's what the grippies extension restores
!!!!cdn!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-*; rv:*.*) Gecko/200*mmdd Mozilla Firebird/*.*
Deucalion

Post by Deucalion »

If you choose not to mess with grippies, use the Toggle Preview Pane extension as previously suggested:

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-in ... togmespane
You can't get here from there
rebbi

Post by rebbi »

to "couldabeen:" I thought that the extensions were all cross-platform??

to Deucalion: Yes, the togmespane extension works, but I figured out after futzing around for awhile that the toolbar button does not automatically install, you have to configure it.

Speakin' of which: has anybody else had bizarre behavior in the toolbar configuration window... corrupted graphics (specifically, what looks like the standard toolbar showing up multiple times, overlapping??)
!!!!cdn!

[ 63 ]

Post by !!!!cdn! »

everybody has had that at one time or another : )
!!!!cdn!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

!!!!cdn! wrote:everybody has had that at one time or another : )
Hasn't hit me yet, but I've only been using FB for about 6 weeks so far.

To the original poster:

All that follows assumes your Mac version works the same as my WinXP version...

Make sure you have the third checkbox under Tools | Junk Mail Controls | Handling checked to sanitize the html of messages marked as junk.

To mark a suspect message as junk without previewing, right click on the suspect message in the message list, then Mark | As Junk. You can also set your message list up to give you a column showing each message's junk status. Click on the right-most button at the top of the message list and choose Junk Status to display this column. Then just click on the junk indicator in this column for any message to toggle the junk status on or off.

I have my installation set to move messages I mark as junk to my Junk folder immediately, and I check them there. You may choose to do this or leave them in place according to your preferences.

My understanding is once you have marked a message as junk you can now view it safely (with sanitized html) either by opening it or seeing it in the review panel.

If, after reviewing, you determine it not to be junk, it is important to change its status back to "not junk" for proper training of the junk filter.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

rebbi wrote:to "couldabeen:" I thought that the extensions were all cross-platform??

I didn't know they weren't cross platform. Nothing in the extenisons site indicates specific OS's that I have seen. Did you try to go to that extenions 'homepage' to see if has limitations?

I have had trouble in the past with grippies not showing up after a restart, and had to delete the profile\chrome folder and XUL.mfl file, and reinstall a bunch of other extenison as a result of this action, or 'trick' it by installing another theme, then back to the default theme.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970