What's going on here???

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
old np

Post by old np »

VanillaMozilla wrote:The meetings were a good first step, and I guess something has come of it. But a meeting notice is one thing, but there hasn't been much since then. The little bit of published information on plans is so incredibly scattered on random newsgroups and blogs that it's quite difficult to find. Whether that's an accurate perception or not, it seems to be a widespread opinion, which must be taken seriously.

I think it's an accurate perception. There are two big things that need to happen before things get more organized. The first is choosing a CMS, which should happen today or shortly thereafter. A lot of the decisions depend on what software is chosen. The second is to get someone to organize the community. The last I heard, Mozilla was looking to hire someone because JT, Chris, and Sam are busy with whatever it is they do normally.

Post by Guest »

>Thats what gets peoples backs up the secrecy

-- secrecy: the condition of being hidden or concealed

> and if I don't want to hear one more "this is posted on blah blah and is available for all to see". It's only available if you know where and how to look.

malliz, We have made every effort to post, and cross post, notice of the planning for a new support system, engage participation by as many as possible over the last several months. There are two notable post in this forum.

The discussion that I kicked off last Nov. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=494282

and Sam Sidler's post about accelerating work for a new Firefox support site on the first of May. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=545425

These and a variety of follow up posts have been broadcast on planet.mozillazine.org, and you were able to find out about discussions by a google search that identified the ongoing discussions in the newly formed newsgroup that was identified in Sam's post.

If you have any suggestions on additional places where we should post these noticies to encourage awarness and participation in the planning of a new offical firefox support site please make them.

As kerz has stated nothing is going to happen to mozillazine, and I'd like to add that nothing is likely to happen to any of the hundreds of places that Firefox users can go for support information. The goal of the mozilla.com support site is to host the best and most up-to-date support information that is available for Firefox. We want continue to encourage community development of this content, and where licensing and sharing of content will allow we will host knowledge base articles from other sites like mozillazine on the mozilla.com support site with full attribution and recognition. The mozilla.com site will also provide a directory of other support choices and options. We want to provide continuing investment in the tools and maintenance of the site so it stays up-to-date and in-tune with the expanding Firefox user base. We also to make it easier for contributors to the site to participate.

There is nothing secret here, no hidden agendas, no attempts to put spin on anything, no attempts at power grabs, or desire to acquire sites. We just want to invest in providing better support for Firefox users and we would encourage you and other to participate in helping make that happen.

-chofmann
trolly

Post by trolly »

Maybe we can open a special forum or thread named "Mozilla Announcements". Personally i would make it a new forum. So everything is clear to see and everyone interested can find it.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Consider it done. Right, Kerz? :) That makes it nice and easy. Now, how are we going to get Mozilla people to post in it? How do we go about getting out the word?

Post by Guest »

trolly wrote:Maybe we can open a special forum or thread named "Mozilla Announcements". Personally i would make it a new forum. So everything is clear to see and everyone interested can find it.

would this be any different than the mozillazine home page and the news and announcements that get posted there?

http://mozillazine.org/ and
http://mozillazine.org/archive.html have a pretty good list of the most important stories and announcements, and using it as the resource for important annoucements means there is no need to get anyone to change current behavior.

I'll also note that these articles appeared on the mozillazine front page

May 5th
Public Meetings on Future of Mozilla Customer Support Announced
http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=21670

May 8th.
"Meeting on Future Mozilla Firefox Support Knowledge Base Held"
http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=21701

-chofmann
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

We've noted the meeting announcements. Several times. It's a start. Keep the information coming.

You're right, though, the place is OK.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 3rd, 2007, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Personally i rarely use the home page. I go directly to the forum. And most people which finds this site by a search engine will land directly in the forum. I don't know how the other regulars handle this.
Maybe i'm just not used to it. ;-)
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Trolly, just click on the word "feedHouse". It's clearly labeled. I don't see how you could miss it. ;) Oh wait, that's not it. I missed it. Besides, meeting announcements are not the only thing that's needed here. We already know about those.

Chris, did you say Mozilla is actually hiring another person for this purpose? Maybe the solution is in the works.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on July 3rd, 2007, 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
old LoudNoise

Post by old LoudNoise »

I go to the home page about once a month. I almost always come directly here to the forum.
trolly

Post by trolly »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Trolly, just click on the word "feedHouse". It's clearly labeled. I don't see how you could miss it. ;) Oh wait, that's not it. I missed it.

Chris, did you say Mozilla is actually hiring another person for this purpose? Maybe the solution is in the works.
feedhouse? I'm sure i have read it somewhere but i can not remember. But it did not look like a link.

Edit: Ok, found it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Chris, are you hearing this? These are your elite volunteers here. These are your friends.

Bye for now. We have a holiday. Enough of this.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

trolly wrote:But it did not look like a link.

Edit: Ok, found it.

No it sure doesn't look like a link. Now multiply that little problem by all the various places where this stuff is hidden. Guess what? You're in the dark. Some people think that's no accident. I think it's just negligence, not malice. Either way it's a problem.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Not directly related but perhaps of interest:

http://www.bengoodger.com/2007/04/the_a ... uture.html
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

"One of the great things about open development discussion is that you can usually expect some crank to come along weeks after a heated debate and throw gas on the fire."

Sure we're throwing gas on a fire. But don't worry. This is a big family. Some of us are a little frustrated from time to time. Just trying to make a point, and not sure if there's any comprehension. Time to give it a rest. Seriously.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Honestly, I never go to the Mozillazine Home page. I don't have the time. I come straight to the forums and straight to work. Regular posting here in Site Discussion would be fine.