button to uninstall ext greyed out

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
joliv25

button to uninstall ext greyed out

Post by joliv25 »

i'm using 0.5 on winME. installed mouse rocker extension and now i want to uninstall it but the uninstall button is greyed out. i only have the option to enable or disable the extension. is there another way to remove this extension? or make the uninstall button available?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Uninstall extensions hasn't really been implemented yet. http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170006
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
joliv25

Post by joliv25 »

ok thanks for the info :)

btw.. a bit off topic but is there a way to save extensions, themes, plugins and manually install them later, for instance, when the next milestone is released, instead of d/l and installing all the extensions, themes, plugins again from the net?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Phoenix Help has a place where it says "Right Click" to save. Phoenix can natively open .xpi. To install jars, go to http://texturizer.net/phoenix/themes.html#install or install http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html#themer
joliv25

Post by joliv25 »

k, thanks :)
laszlo

Re: button to uninstall ext greyed out

Post by laszlo »

joliv25 wrote:i'm using 0.5 on winME. installed mouse rocker extension and now i want to uninstall it but the uninstall button is greyed out. i only have the option to enable or disable the extension. is there another way to remove this extension? or make the uninstall button available?

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 9332#29332
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

joliv25 wrote:btw.. a bit off topic but is there a way to save extensions, themes, plugins and manually install them later, for instance, when the next milestone is released, instead of d/l and installing all the extensions, themes, plugins again from the net?

Unfortunately, the rules are different for extensions, for plugins, and for themes.

Themes are stored in your profile. If you don't heed the dire warnings to wipe out your profile when you upgrade, your themes will stay put.

Plugins are stored in one convenient dir under the executable. You can copy that dir somewhere else and just plug it back in as needed (pun fully intended).

Extensions are the toughies. Each extension comes in a "jar" file in the chrome dir under the executable. But installing an extension also adds lines to the file installedchrome.txt in the chrome dir. After upgrading your Phoenix, you must not only put the jar file back, but you must also edit the installedchrome.txt file and insert the appropriate lines.

Much easier to just redownload the extension in the first place. If the extension has configurable options, those are stored in the profile. So after you reinstall the extension, if you have kept the same profile you will probably not need to do much reconfiguring, if any.
flii

Post by flii »

that explains a lot, neil. thank you. i haven't used extensions or plugins much, but i've messed with themes and userchrome quite a bit. it's nice to know the differences so i don't sound so dumb trying to help other people. :P
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Neil Parks wrote:Much easier to just redownload the extension in the first place. If the extension has configurable options, those are stored in the profile. So after you reinstall the extension, if you have kept the same profile you will probably not need to do much reconfiguring, if any.

I disagree with that. If you've downloaded it once and saved the XPI, then opening the XPI with Phoenix will reinstall it and put in all those lines for you, afaik.

There is a benefit to downloading a new copy: you pick up any fixes they put in.
flii

Post by flii »

my advice is to be considerate when downloading new copies. remember that the hosting company might restrict the author's bandwidth, so downloading a new copy when you don't need it is inconsiderate. however, if a bug has been fixed and you want the new version, go ahead and redownload it.

like alan said, if you've already got the xpi, you can reinstall it without having to redl it. just use common sense. :)
old Neil Parks

reinstalling an extension

Post by old Neil Parks »

Where would I find the XPI file? I only knew about the JAR and the installedchrome.txt .
alanjstr

Re: reinstalling an extension

Post by alanjstr »

Neil Parks wrote:Where would I find the XPI file? I only knew about the JAR and the installedchrome.txt .

Go to Phoenix Help and Right Click.