Address Bar On Firefox No Longer Automatic Go

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jill

Address Bar On Firefox No Longer Automatic Go

Post by jill »

When I type something into The Firefox Address Bar , it no longer goes automatically. It just sits there until I hit the "GO" button. Why ? I have Google as default search and home page on Firefox latest version. It was fine and now it is not . I did a clean reinstall of Firefox

Another problem I was having was that when I typed anything into Google's address bar , it gave me Yahoo results. I uninstalled The Yahoo toolbar and Firefox. Did a clean reinstall of Firefox and left off the Yahoo toolbar. Now I do get Google results , but I am still not Google's automatic go when something is typed into Googles address bar. It has been going automatically but no longer

Please help me on this. I want to know what is happening .

Thanks so much in advance.
old np

Post by old np »

Firefox doesn't automatically load an address until you press Go or Enter. Did you maybe have an extension that made it do that?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Tab Browser Preferences (1.3.1.1) is known to cause problems with the url bar.
If you have that add-on then try to disable it and see if that helps.
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks np , but I was not talking about Firefox loading an address . I was talking about when you type a word or what , into the Google Address Bar. Google has been puting the http://www into the address bar automatically and it goes . Now it does not

Example. When I type "mozillazineforums" into Googles address bar , then Google automatically adds the http:// and goes immediately without my having to press the "GO" Button. Now it does not do this. I have to fill in the address bar and hit go for it to move.
jill

Post by jill »

dickvl , I don't have any add ons at all.
old np

Post by old np »

How do you have a "Google address bar" without having any add-ons? Firefox doesn't come with a "Google address bar" and never has done what you describe by default.

Post by Guest »

Well I have always had Google and it is so common that I just don't think of it as an add on. Yes I have Google but as I said I have had it forever and a day , so that is not the cause of the problem

I have had this post on now for a while. Very few responses . Apparently no one really knows how to solve this problem. I explained it very clearly , so anyone can understand it , yet still , no one seems to answer the post. Sorry folks , but I always thought there were at least a few knowlegable people on this board. It is a very large board.

Please I really want to get the address bar back doing the same as it has done for years and years.

Thanks
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Extensions are not guaranteed to keep working with new versions of Firefox or a new updated version of that add-on.
It happens more that often that one or more extensions are causing problems or stop working.

Problematic_extensions_(KB)
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks dick , but google will work with ANY and ALL versions of Firefox, after all , google is the main search on Firefox and I would be willing to bet my life that the Google Toolbar will work for ALL versions forever and ever.. You really don't know how to solve this do you.

Unless you have a possible solution , do not answer this post anymore. You are only being a smarty pants and I do not want to hear from you again concerning this matter.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I'm offering some suggestions that you might recognize so you can explain your problem better as we do not quite understand what you mean.
So you have to explain your issue more precisely otherwise we can't identify your problem
If other users would understand/recognize your problem better then they would post solutions/suggestions to your problem.

My point about extension was not aimed at the Google toolbar, but at extensions in general.
We see many questions about extensions that stop working or cause problems after they updated to a new version.

You say that you didn't had to press either Enter or click the Go button.
If that was true then the search would get started after every letter that you typed.

So until we really understand your problem you have to do with some suggestions and see if you recognize it or if that make it possible to state your problem more precisely.
That is how solving an unknown problem works.

Firefox 2 has search suggestion to that show a similar effect: a query is send to the Google server and you get a response back with some suggestions.
You can right click the text area of the search bar to get the context menu.
The last item is "Show Suggestions" and has a checkmark if that option is enabled, click it to toggle that option.
You can also click the Google icon and open "Manage Search Engines".
You see a "Show search suggestions" checkbox at the bottom of that window.

If you want to open Google results in a new tab then you can find that option on the Google Preferences page (those settings are saved in a cookie).

Firefox also has a pref to open the search results page in a new tab after pressing Enter or a click on the Go button.
In the url/location bar, type: about:config and press the Enter key.
browser.search.openintab (double click to toggle)

More about prefs: about:config_entries_(KB)

Post by Guest »

Firefox 2.0 uses Google's "Browse by name" by default. Older versions used I'm feeling lucky:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

Enter about:config in the address bar.
Enter keyword.url in the filter at the top.
Change the value of keyword.url to:
http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m ... e=UTF-8&q=
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

A few questions just to be sure.

1) Do you mean the search bar with Google and other search engines or the url/location bar where you type website addresses or a search bar on a website?

2) Are you typing the websites or do you choose an entry from the drop down (url bar or search bar history) list?
jill

Post by jill »

Thanks dick , but to clear up what extensions I have on Firefox. I have Google Toolbar and Yahoo toolbar . These are the only extensions I have. I have had both ever since they were made compatiable with Firefox and never had a problem.

As I stated in my very first post , I am talking about when I type anything into the Firefox Address bar (URL). NOT the search bar.

Until about a week ago when any word or a couple of words were typed into the Firefox address bar , it would go automatically without my having to click the "GO" button. Firefox would add the Http:// www and the complete URL then automatically go to the URL of the word typed . If it did not know the URL , then it would automatically go to Google's search results . It no longer will go automatically. I have to click on the "GO" button. It no longer adds the dot com either.

Doesn't Google have the "ONE WORD" thing ? Maybe this is the problem.

I hope I haven't confused anyone further. I am trying to explain this the best that I can.

dick , I apologize for being short with you. Please forgive me. I am just frustrated with the change and want it back like it was.
I can do in IE what I was doing in Firefox with the one word thing. Just type a word into IE address bar ( url) bar and it automatically goes without touching the "GO" button. Google is the search on IE and also Google in address bar search.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Apologies accepted jill.

I guess I was confused by your fist post where you mentioned problems with the Google search ("but I am still not Google's automatic go when something is typed into Googles address bar") and the url (location) bar as we call it.

I still can't imagine how you were able to start the search without clicking Go or pressing the Enter key.
That would only be possible if you drop something in that bar with the mouse and not after typing.
Are you sure that you did not need to press the Enter key?

The url bar fixup (add http:// at the begin and .com at the end and also add www. if necessary) is done by Firefox and not by Google.

Firefox uses Google if you type more then one word, but with one word first tries to resolve the url by adding www. and .com to the url.
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/do ... ssing.html
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/in ... words.html
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

You can still check what happens if you disable the Google toolbar as well (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions).
jill

Post by jill »

Guest , isn't that for Feeling Lucky ? I don't want my search to Be feeling lucky. I want it by Google and not the google feeling lucky. I have the Google search