Hi

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
G01D

Hi

Post by G01D »

Hi, ive been using the Phoenix internet browser ever since the day it was released, and I find it to be the greatest Internet browser I've used yet :). I was wondering, is there any chance the Phoenix team will ever produce an email app, but not be integrated with the browser (like how the mozilla email app is integrated in mozilla), I would like to see an outlook express alternative, something alot better than the mozilla email app, but as much, or even more features than Outlook Express. Features such as: use of different fonts (more than just 3), ability to drag and drop pictures onto the email, special "junk mail" features, skinnability ;) of course, a "always on" feature, so that you can set the email app to check your email (and receive the emails) while the app is closed, and many other features. Or is an email app just too much work for the developers?
thanx for your time :)
-G01D
if your gonna sell your soul, dont sell it for too cheap
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

G01D

Post by G01D »

...actually ive seen that FAQ...but it would be nicer if it wasnt based on the mozilla email client since i dont find it too reliable :(, but anything's possible :), most people on this site want to get as far away from microsoft based products (but are stuck on windows) as much as possible..since most people i know who use Mozilla/Phoenix, use outlook or outlook express...and a awesome alternative (a souped up faster (for downloading messages) mozilla mail app with lots of features would be nice)
chrisMage

Re: Hi

Post by chrisMage »

G01D wrote:I was wondering, is there any chance the Phoenix team will ever produce an email app, but not be integrated with the browser (like how the mozilla email app is integrated in mozilla), I would like to see an outlook express alternative, something alot better than the mozilla email app, but as much, or even more features than Outlook Express.

G01D wrote: Features such as: use of different fonts (more than just 3)

Fixed, variable, and serif are the only fonts available for a reason. Most people who write e-mail don't consider the reader, or what they'll be reading it with. If you want fancy features that only MS users will be able to appreciate, just stay inside the MS ring of products.
G01D wrote:ability to drag and drop pictures onto the email

First of all, that would only work in Windows (ala OLE). Second of all, what is so hard about browsing the filesystem for your image? Features like that will only add to the overall bloat of the application
G01D wrote:special "junk mail" features

If i'm not mistaken, Mozilla has mail filters, therefore thunderbird will have them. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
G01D wrote:skinnability ;) of course

Thunderbird will surely be skinnable..
G01D wrote:a "always on" feature, so that you can set the email app to check your email (and receive the emails) while the app is closed

Hey, that might be cool.

Just my two cents.
Stefan

Would just like to add...

Post by Stefan »

chrisMage wrote:

First of all, that would only work in Windows (ala OLE). Second of all, what is so hard about browsing the filesystem for your image? Features like that will only add to the overall bloat of the application

At least on windows you can drag images to mails... to the attachment box where they belong...

G01D wrote:a "always on" feature, so that you can set the email app to check your email (and receive the emails) while the app is closed

If it can check for mails, it's not closed now is it?
Just put on autocheck fo mails and minimize the window and you have the same thing (except you can REALLY close it if you like).
G01D

Re: Hi

Post by G01D »

chrisMage wrote:Fixed, variable, and serif are the only fonts available for a reason. Most people who write e-mail don't consider the reader, or what they'll be reading it with. If you want fancy features that only MS users will be able to appreciate, just stay inside the MS ring of products.

im not a fan of using arial/times new roman as my email font...

Thunderbird will surely be skinnable..

i wouldnt be suprised..just making sure tho...

im not a smart person but i was just listing features that i would personally like lol, n maybe other ppl who arent too smart about email...i'll try out mozilla mail again...oe/outlook IS bloated but it has all the features i need...